• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey correction for a 'bad' speaker

Tjf120

I have a Marantz 8802A with Audyssey MutltEQ X32. I've done the calibration and it has 'fixed' the output from my speakers. IE, the dB graph correction brings a nice flat curve from 60 Hz to 20 kHz on a speaker that has a pretty big roll off above 2k (Zu Essence).

Here's the question - do I need a 'good' speaker with a relatively flat output across the frequency response - or can I own a 'bad' speaker and let Audyssey correct it?

IE, if I take the measurements from Stereophile for the Essence, and overlay the Audyssey correction graph - it generates a pretty straight line - I'll figure out how to post pics to show this. The speakers sound good after correction. IE, can I use Audyssey to 'correct the room' but also 'correct the speaker' by amplifying the low dB output of the higher frequencies?

I'm sure the answer is no, you can't rely on correction software - but why?

thanks

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't really fix bad speakers. You can maybe make some adjustments to make them more palatable....IMO you always want to start with a good speaker, my preference is a fairly neutral speaker.

In order to analyze results of Audyssey though you really need a way to measure to see such results. The results of Audyssey vary somewhat (even just run to run depending on variables), and many prefer just using the app to limit it to schroeder frequency, too. As they say, YMMV.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't know much about Audysse, but...
on a speaker that has a pretty big roll off above 2k (Zu Essence).
High frequencies are "easier" to boost than low frequencies. There's a lot of energy in the bass, the bass tends to roll-off quickly (once it starts rolling off) and bass needs more output from the speaker so you can easily end-up driving the amplifier or speaker into distortion.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know much about Audysse, but...
High frequencies are "easier" to boost than low frequencies. There's a lot of energy in the bass, the bass tends to roll-off quickly (once it starts rolling off) and bass needs more output from the speaker so you can easily end-up driving the amplifier or speaker into distortion.
Then again I think the benefit of Audyssey is more in using subs than speakers with limited bass capabilities.

Top Bottom