• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest XLR

Hello Forum,

I have a DAC on loan from a local retailer.
I was trying to do quite an accurate comparison between this and my old but the new item seems to have a significantly lower volume, which makes my test harder, as I cannot just "switch" between DAC1 and DAC2.

So they also lent me an (expensive) AudioQuest XLR cable.
I put the cable between the new DAC and the preamp, and I have to admit that the sound is different: definitely, what matters to me is that the volume is now pretty much identical.

Is that possible or it's just the number of zeroes in the price of the cable that makes me hear things that are untrue? ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Is that possible or it's just the number of zeroes in the price of the cable that makes me hear things that are untrue?

Absolutely.

Right now, you haven't spent that number with all the zeroes. Please don't. Save it for better speakers/headphones.

Thank them for the loan when you return it.

OP
M
You can use a basic multimeter to measure the volume coming out of both DACs (with or without overpriced cables).
Useful for both troubleshooting and setting up proper A/B testing.

Right. I empirically found a way to find the proper volumes on the preamp (it's not super-scientifc, but I played the same wave with both DACs and re-recorded the output with my phone, until the waves had similar amplitude in Audacity).

But that's not my point. I can tell you the difference from the cable was massive... I didn't expect it.
Once more: I'm not talking about the *quality* of the music, I'm just saying that the cable changed the volume. So it's definitely doing *something*

OP
M
@mycroft holmes the only way I can see that happening is if your other XLR cable is faulty.
Buying Audioquest gets you over engineered copper, not magically amplifying copper.

Exactly.
My naive opinion on the topic was that AQ cables were substantially _identical_ to regular cables (except for, say, weight and price): is this a good summary?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
XLR to XLR, sorry I didn't mention but I assumed it was obvious.
It's always the "obvious" stuff that trips us up. :D

As others suggested, the only way for an XLR cable to make a volume difference is if it's broken and you're getting only one side of the differential I/O. It's easy to verify with an ohmmeter or swapping in a different cable.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can tell you the difference from the cable was massive...
No, you cannot indeed.

The fact that you know its price and probably listened to the seller's pitch makes every sight listening comparaison 100% biased to begin with. ;) And that is how AQ works. First, conditioning the listener, then, the latter hears a difference. Do your comparison blind and the difference disappears.

Second hypothesis, your other XLR cable is faulty.

delta76

Major Contributor
It could be a bit too much, but I automatically avoid anything from Audioquest. So far I have never seen anything from them that justifies the price. Performance is exactly the same if not worse in some cases

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
If in doubt whether the old cable is faulty just buy a regular XLR from Amazon for some 20 to 50USD maybe with some durable Neutrik plugs. This is all you ever need and there won’t be a difference soundwise to Audioquest provided you match levels and listen blind (not knowing which cable is which). 100 percent.

OP
M
No, you cannot indeed.
Second hypothesis, your other XLR cable is faulty.

You may be right about the conditioning.

With my cables, I can easily tell you which DAC is playing just by the volume. With the AQ cable, I can't tell, but the bias might be "me" :)

My old cable is unlikely to be faulty: if I keep my cables but swap them, nothing changes (i.e. I still hear my old DAC louder). I also swapped the jacks on the preamp, just to exclude that the preamp has a faulty input.

OP
M
I automatically avoid anything from Audioquest

To be honest, I do own some (cheap) AQ cables, and I never had any issue.
I may be completely wrong, but I prefer to spend -say- 50 usd at my local retailer, for a cable from a cable manufacturer, rather than 15 on amazon for some ANNNWZZD cable (not joking...).
I know they might be identical, but still, somewhat it feels "safer".

No need to say, it must be 50 vs 15, not 500 or 5000.

Anyway, I'll definitely reconsider this habit in the future. Do you happen to know some cable brands that can be trusted? Mogami, maybe?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Put the old XLR cable on the left channel, and the AQ on the right.

See what you get.

Top Bottom