• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics DA-S250NC and DAW-S250NC : new integrated amps with DAC (streamer) and Ncore !

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I might have missed the information. But how do these amps react to different impedance, does it change the frequency curve any way?
This integrated is based on Hypex NCore NC252MP, which is load independent. Go to their website and download the datasheet, there you can see the FR measurements among many others.

cybernaut667

I see nothing in the manual about how the screen behaves, or if it is dimmable. Quite an important feature since so many of us use integrated amps in a HT set-up too.

I did however read this. Is this an artefact of the parts they assemble, or a promise of a future model of this amplifier with a streaming module?

View attachment 241320
OLED Screen
Brightness not adjustable, but switches off after 40 seconds

Raxumit

OLED Screen
Brightness not adjustable, but switches off after 40 seconds
This is correct. It comes on at first power on, stays on for 40 seconds if no input. When input & volume change, display comes on again.

I would like it if the timeout was user configurable, but if there has to be a fixed behavior, this is arguably the best one and should be the default if it is ever made configurable.

The power button for the amp is red when off, white when on, so you can still distinguish the two states in the absence of a lit-up display.

tomaxsas

So i succesfully connected Rpi 4 through I2S. MP3, Spotify works fine, however once i try to play flac, i hear only gibberish and from right channel. Using moodeaudio player and i sabre q2m dac overlay. Any thougths?

Raxumit

So i succesfully connected Rpi 4 through I2S. MP3, Spotify works fine, however once i try to play flac, i hear only gibberish and from right channel. Using moodeaudio player and i sabre q2m dac overlay. Any thougths?
I don't know anything specific, but I would be tempted to try a variety of bitrates/sample depth. Do 44/16 tracks give you issue? Also try uncompressed (WAV) of tracks you have problems with.

Just guessing.

DTTOM37

post #180
edit: I had my RPI4 connected via USB with Volumio (shows XMOS as overlay). Worked like a charm.

Last edited:

delfuego

Subwoofer for this guy? Thinking about getting one and have one picked out. It has a RCA & LFE connections. Let me know what I need to do (cables/connections/etc). Thanks everyone!

DTTOM37

Yes, USB works fine, i2s has advantages which i need :)
Would you circumvent the XMOS chip connecting via I2S?
Just askin', as I have noticed that XMOS could control I2S as well.
Not sure if that's the case you want to take advantage from with your specific connection ;)
... Best to send a mail request to Audiophonics support ...

delfuego

Subwoofer for this guy? Thinking about getting one and have one picked out. It has a RCA & LFE connections. Let me know what I need to do (cables/connections/etc). Thanks everyone!
@Audiophonics or anyone else out there?

Any help would be great. Interested if I can just directly connect a subwoofer to the RCA pre-amp out or if it will be more complicated. I am looking at the Polk HST-10, matches the room's furniture :)

Gracias!

DTTOM37

Any help would be great. Interested if I can just directly connect a subwoofer to the RCA pre-amp out or if it will be more complicated. I am looking at the Polk HST-10, matches the room's furniture :)

Gracias!
Salut @delfuego ,
I have put a pair of XTZ 10.17 edge on these RCA outputs.
These subs do have a low pass level setting. And would allow me parametric eq settings, which I did not use.
Actually, I found that I need to be careful with the gain setting, bc even it works well, I've noted that increasing the output level on the DAW allows the 700Watt ICEPOWER module to show them strength proportionally.

Last edited:

Audiophonics

Dealer

Gracias!
Yes, you can connect an active subwoofer to this pre-out RCA output.

tomaxsas

Have working setup with RPi and amp. Connected it via I2S, have enabled resampling to 32bits in moode MPD settings. Cause 16bit playback causes gibberish. Audiophonics support refused to help. But now i'm happy :) main reason for i2S is that i can leave internet radio running, and it plays automatically after amp is turned on.

Raxumit

Have working setup with RPi and amp. Connected it via I2S, have enabled resampling to 32bits in moode MPD settings. Cause 16bit playback causes gibberish. Audiophonics support refused to help. But now i'm happy :) main reason for i2S is that i can leave internet radio running, and it plays automatically after amp is turned on.
Nifty.

Any pictures of the installation? Did you install the Raspberry Pi in the case?

tomaxsas

So i decided not to add it inside. There are lot of IO would need to route, and case is small. so i just routed cable. next thing is to make I2S cable detachable

asters

Does the wifi version of this amp acts like a Wiim as a streamer (pro or mini )?
I understand that there is the Wiim like app. Does the amp provide Spotify, Tidal Connect or even chromecast ?

DTTOM37

Does the wifi version of this amp acts like a Wiim as a streamer (pro or mini )?
I understand that there is the Wiim like app. Does the amp provide Spotify, Tidal Connect or even chromecast ?
this AIO device has three different devices unified:
1) the Hypex NC252 amplifier module. Volume control by remore control,
2) An ESS9038q2m DAC with BT, Toslink, Coax and USB input. Input choice by remote control.
3) A Linkplay A98 Module (Firmware from 12-2021) that is controlled by WIIM app 2.4.5.230406. Input only Wi-Fi or BT. Selection by app.

The unit works well with UPNP/DNLA over WiFi or using the streaming services available in the WIIM app which
includes Tidal* and Spotify*.
Unfortunately I can't confirm the device is usable with the *-connect apps as I use only Qobuz.
Soundwise I prefer local content from my RPI4 over USB input (Volumio) - seems to me kind of "cleaner" than WiFi or BT, CD player over Coax did sound as well apropriate..
HTH Tom

Kisscool

hello what is more relevant between this one and a rotel a14 at an equal price for elac dbr62?

Top Bottom