• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(Audiophile) americana and country music? Who likes it? Recommendations?

swampbrain

Steve Earle! You're welcome - lol.
He covers a lot of "styles" (rock, folk, country, bluegrass, blues). His roots are folk/country and he's imo the best songwriter ever as far as "storytelling" is concerned and I'd definitely "Americana"

*All acoustic - try "train a comin" (album). Best picking you've ever heard.

*Live album (possibly recorded in germany?) - "shut up and die like an aviator" .... "Billy Austin" solidified my stance on capital punishment and is an all round great live album.

*More albums that get a lot of play in my house by Steve
Jerusalem
The revolution starts now
Terraplane
Transcendental blues
Etc..

*Songs to look for
The mountain (from live anthology)
Billy Austin
Over Yonder (Jonathan's song)
Nothing but a child
Harlan man
My old friend the blues
John Walker Blues
F the Cc
Condi condi
Nothing without you
..... I could list a LOT more but these will give you an idea

swampbrain

Steve Earle did Train A Comin' in '94, post drug/law hassles. Allmusic: "Considering how low Earle had sunk, it was a pleasant shock that Train a Comin' was not only good, it was one of the strongest albums of his career to date. Dominated by songs he's written years before along with a few new tunes and some well-chosen covers, Train a Comin' featured Earle with a small group of gifted acoustic pickers, including Norman Blake, Peter Rowan, and Roy Huskey, Jr., and the tone of these sessions is at once relaxed and committed, sounding like a back porch guitar pull with a seriously talented guy handling the lead vocals and calling out the tunes."

I saw this tour, with Rowan and Blake, from great seats! Tied for my favorite acoustic show, with this one by Mark O'Connor. :cool:

Steve Earle, Train A Comin', full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

View attachment 291583
I saw this tour too! Fairly small venue in NC, great seats, the musicianship was unfuckingreal. Possibly the best show I've ever seen

Artsfols

Here's the Grammy Awards (USA) version of 'Americana.' From Wikipedia:

"In 2009, the Academy announced that the award for Best Contemporary Folk/Americana Album would be split into two separate categories: Best Contemporary Folk Album and Best Americana Album. The distinction between the two award categories is based on the use of acoustic versus electric instruments; acoustic instruments predominate in 'contemporary folk' and electric instruments are characteristic of Americana. Jed Hilly, executive director of the Americana Music Association, called the new category's inclusion 'a huge acknowledgment' of the music genre. Hilly admitted to working hard at convincing the Academy to include Americana as its own category. The music industry had been using the term 'Americana music' for about 15 years before the new award was created. Following is the award's purpose, according to the category description guide from the 2018 Grammy Awards:

Americana is contemporary music that incorporates elements of various American roots music and vocal styles, including country, roots-rock, folk, bluegrass, R&B and blues, resulting in a distinctive roots-oriented sound that lives in a world apart from the pure forms of the genres upon which it may draw. While acoustic instruments are often present and vital, Americana also often uses a full electric band.

The award was first presented in 2010 to Levon Helm at the 52nd Grammy Awards for the album Electric Dirt (recommended upthread). Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Brandi Carlile and Keb' Mo' have been nominated the most times (three)."

So, acoustic instruments, maybe with electric instruments (and drums!), but not necessarily. Got it!

For what it's worth, I'll post about bluegrass and Americana I enjoy in this thread. :cool:
The acoustic/ electric distinction sure does not work for me. To me, "folk" meaning 'music of the people' is not a genre at all. It can include almost any actual genre: blues, bluegrass, rockabilly, Applachian, Irish or English traditional, Americana, Hungarian Roma ... All 'folk' means is that you don't have to be a highly accomplished musician to play it, although you certainly can be. And a lot of 'folk' music is boring as all get out to listen to. Especially the Pete Seeger type stuff. No slight intended to Pete Seeger, but if you're not singing along with it, it's the aural equivalent of watching paint dry.

Artsfols

Kruger Brothers
I have seen them live on 3 occasions. On two occasions they've travelled up to Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, where I live, to perform. The other occasion was the Edmonton Folk Music Festival. If they're within a reasonable driving distance I'll see them again.

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I usually post in the Jazz Music thread, here’s a sample, so here's a cross-over post.

Allmusic: “Hillbilly Jazz was a project that, in 1974, drew on jazz, bluegrass, Western swing, blues, and country. With such talented players as fiddle great Vassar Clements, guitarist David Bromberg, drummer D.J. Fontana, and singer Gordon Terry on board, Hillbilly Jazz successfully turns its attention to everything from ‘San Antonio Rose’ to ‘C' Jam Blues.’ Improvisation is a high priority on Hillbilly Jazz, and a love of improvisation is one thing that jazz, bluegrass, and Western swing players have in common. This rewarding but little-known CD reminds listeners that jazz and ‘hillbilly music’ can fit together quite nicely.”

Vassar gets the album credit. This was his ~10th of >30 albums from 1970-2002. The video is just a short taste of Vassar. :cool:

Vassar Clements, Hillbilly Jazz, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

vasser.png

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Singer/songwriter/guitarist John Hiatt did a 2021 album with the Jerry Douglas Band that was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Americana Album.

Allmusic: “The subtle virtuosity of dobroist Jerry Douglas, guitarist Mike Seal, bassist Daniel Kimbro, and fiddler Christian Sedelmyer is a superb match for Hiatt's songs and lead vocals… After two decades of Hiatt's reliable excellence in songwriting, Leftover Feelings does nothing to break this streak.”

This is John’s ~24th album since 1974. This was his 10th Grammy nomination. Jerry Douglas has been nominated for 32 Grammys and won 14. The YT link has videos of 4 of the album songs performed live-in-studio. A sample is below. :cool:

John Hiatt, Leftover Feelings, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

feellings.png

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
This album piqued my interest in acoustic music (and early Rod Stewart) and Americana back in 1977, and still sounds fresh today.

Allmusic: “Mandolinist David Grisman Quintet's eponymous debut was a stunning achievement, capturing a pivotal point in newgrass history. It was a record that opened up new rhythmic textures and instrumental textures, specifically new, jazzier ways to solo… It was a thrilling new variation on the form that broke down countless doors for the genre.”

The band: Tony Rice/guitars; Darol Anger/fiddle; Todd Phillips/mandolin; Bill Amatneek/bass. This was David’s 3rd album of >40. :cool:

David Grisman, Quintet, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

grismanquintet.jpg

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Allmusic: “If you wanted to take a group of excessively talented musicians and put them together to play inventive instrumental music, you would have something a lot like Psychograss. Like Minds offers 60 minutes of jazz, bluegrass, and progressive bluegrass provided by banjoist Tony Trischka, guitarist David Grier, bassist Todd Phillips, mandolinist Mike Marshall, and fiddler Darol Anger… Like Minds' eclectic choice of material is one of the elements that makes acoustic instrumental music so fascinating.”

This 1996 album was their 2nd of 3, after their 1993 debut and a 2005 release. Anger and Phillips also played on The David Grisman Quintet album from 1977 recommended in the post above. The video is a live performance of an album tune. :cool:

Psychograss, Like Minds, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

psychograss.png

Last edited:

JeremyFife

Tend to get lost in complex 'difficult' stuff ... this is simple, and beautiful (and new to me, bonus): Gillian Welch, Time (The Revelator)
Time (The Revelator)

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
Another ASR member (@JanesJr1) posted the excellent review below of Sarah Jarosz's Blue Heron Suite. I think it's a masterpiece. Would love to hear it live.

(It's post #526 of the thread.)

Digital Mastering System

Check out SOMAFM streaming channel "Boot Liquor". All the songs mention booze somehow. (and/or broken hearts, momma, and cheat'n) Very humorous and great music.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Also 2003 Soul Journey is a beautiful recording. ...
I wonder what version you listened to. The one on Qobuz sounds heavily compressed, excessively bright, and some of the vocals (for example on Lowlands track 7) sound oversaturated and distorted. Maybe the Qobuz version is a squashed remaster?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kenny Rogers had some well recorded albums, but they kinda went R&B (which is why I liked them). The album with "Something inside so strong" sounds great.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m more into Bluegrass. Bela Fleck, Molly Tuttle, Jerry Douglas, etc. does that count?

On7green

Forum Donor
I wonder what version you listened to. The one on Qobuz sounds heavily compressed, excessively bright, and some of the vocals (for example on Lowlands track 7) sound oversaturated and distorted. Maybe the Qobuz version is a squashed remaster?
Maybe. I have a vinyl copy I listen to. A 2018 reissue which sounds great.

D

Deleted member 21219

I traveled quite a bit when I was younger ... in the 60s and 70s. Much of my travel was in the South, in Appalachia, Lousiana and Texas. A lot of the music I heard was played by amateurs, at hoedowns, at revivals and at fairs. Most of it was without benefit of electricity. No matter whether it was Zydeco, bluegrass or hymns, I always got the sense that the musicians weren't separate from the audience. Instead, they were all one entity. As one ancient, withered guy told me, "Them's our people."

To me, that's the essence of Americana. With the rise of professional musicians and ubiquity of recording studios, that bond has been weakened. It hasn't disappeared, but it isn't what it once was. There are still a few places where you can hear people say, "C'mon down! let's play some!"

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

spiral scratch

The CD has an average dynamic range of 10 with the lowest track showing 8, so shouldn't be squashed. If you like it might be worth seeking that version out. I'll have to listen again to see if I hear the brightness you are hearing, but I don't recall it being a problem. Her stuff tends to sound really well produced to me. Time (The Revelator) CD shows even better average dynamics of 12.

Top Bottom