• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(Audiophile) americana and country music? Who likes it? Recommendations?

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Will The Circle Be Unbroken was released in 1972. Allmusic: “An all-star country project that worked, with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band serving as catalyst and intersecting point for all of the talent involved… This was the first real country album that a lot of rock listeners under the age of 30 ever heard. Thus, it opened up pathways and dialogue in all directions, across several generations and cultural barriers.”

Vol. 2 was a 1990 release. Allmusic: “This easily won the Country Music Association's Album of the Year Award, thanks to a stellar cast… Tracks were all recorded in one ‘take,’ with no overdubs, making the outstanding musicianship particularly noteworthy. Atheists beware: there's a lot of gospel.”

3 hours 22 minutes of serious Americana, by some guys from Long Beach, California, in collaboration with all-star ‘Americanaists.’ :cool:

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Will The Circle Be Unbroken, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Will The Circle Be Unbroken, Vol. 2, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

circle1.png

circle2.png

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I haven't read thru this thread, so these may have already been mentioned. In case not : The ST to Oh Brother Where Art Thou is a must for any Americana fan, and the debut LP by Billy Strings is just excellent.

Joramun

Is pop country allowed?

Alan Jackson
Kane Brown
Tyler Hubbard
John Pardi
Florida Georgia Line
Morgan Wallen
Sam Hunt
Tim McGraw

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
This post recommends a television show, chock-full of multiple genres of Americana: cajun, bluegrass, blues & roots, rock, folk, modern jazz, New Orleans jazz, rap, hip-hop.

Wikipedia: “Treme (trə-MAY) is an American drama television series created by David Simon and Eric Overmyer [both did The Wire, and others] that aired on HBO. The series premiered on April 11, 2010, and concluded on December 29, 2013, comprising four seasons and 36 episodes. The series features an ensemble cast, including Khandi Alexander, Rob Brown, Chris Coy, Kim Dickens, India Ennenga, John Goodman, Michiel Huisman, Melissa Leo, Lucia Micarelli, David Morse, Clarke Peters, Wendell Pierce, Jon Seda, Steve Zahn, and features musical performances by several New Orleans-based artists.

The series takes its name from Tremé, a neighborhood of New Orleans. It begins three months after Hurricane Katrina as the residents, including musicians, chefs, Mardi Gras Indians, and other New Orleanians, try to rebuild their lives, their homes, and their unique culture in the aftermath of the 2005 hurricane and the subsequent severe flooding of the city.

It received generally favorable reception, particularly for its performances by the cast and musical performers, as well as for its realistic portrayal of New Orleans culture.

tremetv.jpg

Well-known New Orleans musician Kermit Ruffins appears as himself in the pilot and guests throughout the series, and singer/songwriter Steve Earle recurs alot seasons 1 & 2. Other musical guests include Soul Rebels Brass Band, Allen Toussaint, Dr. John, Elvis Costello, Donald Harrison Jr., Galactic, Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews, Deacon John Moore, Rebirth Brass Band, Treme Brass Band, Shawn Colvin, Spider Stacy, Eyehategod, Justin Townes Earle, Sammie "Big Sam" Williams, Jon Batiste, The Pine Leaf Boys, Paul Sanchez, Jon Cleary, Fats Domino, Red Stick Ramblers, saxophonist Joe Braun, bassist Matt Perrine, bassist Ron Carter, The Pfister Sisters (Holley Bendtsen, Debbie Davis and Yvette Voelker), clarinetist Bruce Brachman, bass drummer "Uncle" Lionel Batiste, percussionist Alfred "Uganda" Roberts, vocalist John Boutté, singer/guitarist Coco Robicheaux, pianist Tom McDermott, vocalists Lloyd Price and Irma Thomas and fiddler/accordionist Cedric Watson.

The series earned ~10 various Emmy Award nominations, and for season 1 Steve Earle was nominated for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics for the song 'This City.' The season-one soundtrack was Grammy Award nominated for Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television, or other Visual Media, and the song 'This City' by Steve Earle, was nominated for Best Song Written for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media. The series was awarded with a 2011 Peabody Award.”

They let the featured musical guest play an entire song. There’s a neat scene where a character’s dad gives jazz bassist Ron Carter tips on how to play the bass. Steve Earle is a hoot during his stay. The 1st two seasons soundtracks were released.

If it was not clear at the beginning, this series is by the guys who made The Wire. You know, one of the greatest shows ever... Give this one a shot. The stories and characters develop nicely, along with the great tunes. :cool:

Treme: Music From The HBO Original Series, Season 1, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

Treme: Music From The HBO Original Series, Season 2, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

treme1.jpg

treme2.jpg

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Here’s banjo virtuoso Bela Fleck’s last 2 bluegrass albums, 24 years apart. They add up to 37 songs and 3 hours of Americana as audiophile as it comes.

His 2021 album. Allmusic: “A Béla Fleck bluegrass album isn't a traditional bluegrass album, and this one, his first since 1999's The Bluegrass Sessions, is full of the distinctive twists and turns that are his hallmark. Among those joining him on these sessions are mandolinists Sierra Hull and Chris Thile, guitarist Billy Strings, fiddler Billy Contreras, dobro player Jerry Douglas and banjoist Tony Trischka... At 19 original tracks, My Bluegrass Heart is a feast of instrumental wizardry that runs the gamut.” The video is a live album tune from this tour. This album won the Grammy Award for Best Bluegrass Album.

Bela Fleck, My Bluegrass Heart, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

mybluegrassheart.png

From 1999. Allmusic: “The Bluegrass Sessions: Tales From the Acoustic Planet, Vol. 2 feels like one of his finest albums, due in no small part to the caliber of supporting musicians. The core band consists of Fleck, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Stuart Duncan, Tony Rice, and Mark Schatz, while Vassar Clements, John Hartford, and Earl Scruggs all guest; it's a veritable who's-who of bluegrass… throughout 18 songs and 75 minutes. This record is a welcome reminder of what a talented and unique musician he is.” FYI, Vol. 1 is jazzy newgrass fusion, not bluegrass. This album was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Bluegrass Album.

Bela Fleck, Bluegrass Sessions: Tales From the Acoustic Planet, Vol. 2, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

His New Grass Revival partner, vocalist/bassist John Cowan, had his album The Massenburg Sessions recommended upthread, with a nice story.

My last 3 posts here inundate with Americana. 8 CDs, 136 songs, 8 h 32 min of music, and 4 TV seasons with 36 episodes on 15 Blu-rays for 38 h 28 min. From 1972 to 2021. For your enjoyment. :cool:

bluegrasssessions.png

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Robbie Robertson (RIP) and The Band released a monument of Americana in 1969, with their 2nd album, The Band.

Allmusic: “As had been true of the first album, it was The Band's sound that stood out the most, from drummer Levon Helm's propulsive drumming to Robertson's distinctive guitar fills and the endlessly inventive keyboard textures of Garth Hudson, all topped by the rough, expressive singing of Richard Manuel, Helm, and bassist Rick Danko that mixed leads with harmonies. The arrangements were simultaneously loose and assured, giving the songs a timeless appeal, while the lyrics continued to paint portraits of 19th century rural life (especially Southern life, as references to Tennessee and Virginia made clear), its sometimes less savory aspects treated with warmth and humor.”

This was The Band's 2nd of 7 studio albums, from 1968-'77, that featured all original members. :cool:

The Band, The Band, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

theband.png

spiral scratch

I played the Band S/T a couple of days back to mourn his passing. Listening to Neil Young - On the Beach and Music from Big Pink is in the cue. Man, what a terrific guitarist and songwriter Robbie was. Fantastic music.

His autobiogaphy is pretty great if anyone wants to read about the antics of a band birthing roots rock.

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Did some posts for Robbie Robertson (RIP) and The Band recently, above, here and here. Here's Levon Helm’s last 2 studio albums. Here's a post in the Blues Music thread about his album with Mavis Staples.

Allmusic: “Dirt Farmer is a hard-edged but compassionate and full-hearted set of roots music from a master of the form.” The Bob Dylan band’s Larry Campbell plays guitars, Amy Helm various instruments, Byron Isaacs bass, Brian Mitchell keys, plus others, on a mainly acoustic set from 2007.

Levon Helm, Dirt Farmer, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

dirtfarmer.png

Allmusic: “Electric Dirt aims for a broader and more eclectic sound. Larry Campbell, returned for these sessions, as did most of the same band, and the bigger sound of this album seems to suit everyone involved, with Helm's drumming sounding especially lively and well-grounded… Electric Dirt sounds fresh, emphatic, and as effective as anything Levon has cut since the mid-'70s.” From 2009. This album is so Americana, it won the Grammy Award for Best Americana Album, in the 1st year for the category! :cool:

Levon Helm, Electric Dirt, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

electricdirt.png

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1692562206337.jpeg

Bridges

Hello everyone,
when you're new to a community, it's always a step to contribute (at least for me) - so that's how I try to do it:
After I didn't find anything to the topic using the search function (someone might teach me better), I now open this thread and officially have to admit:

Yes, I listen to country and americana music
(sometimes a lot :facepalm:)

But: If you live in Germany, this is not necessarily the kind of music that you could discuss with a lot of people. Especially not, if you also value audiophile recordings. So I'll try it here and hope that maybe someone can be found who knows his way around, or thinks similarly.

Maybe l'll start with my actual top fives. These are records that i recently listend to:

- Robert Earl Keen : Gravitational Forces (2001; I often use the title track to test speakers and gear)

- The Damn Quails: Down the hedge (2011; for me, most songs offer a beautiful soundstage)

- David Allan Coe: Once upon a rhyme (1974?/ please don't judge me)

- Paul Cauthen: My Gospel (2016; dynamic, classic country influences and voice)

- Kris Kristofferson: The silvertongued devil and i (1971, just love it)

Maybe you have any recommendations you want to give?
Just write something and don't leave me alone XD

Greetings
Urkelator
Allison Moorer: Alabama Song Buddy and Judy Miller: Poison Love James Mcmurtry: Childish Things

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1692567997630.jpeg

Play guitar? Bet you can't keep up with these guys on this album. Chet Atkins and Les Paul

Artsfols

I just attended the Edmonton Folk Festival and saw live performances by some of my favourites including Watchhouse, Molly Tuttle and Gregory Allan Isakov.
I also prepared a audio playlist of 20 tracks that I heard there, almost all releases from the last year or two.
Here's a link.

Artsfols

The music that is currently called Country & Western is an insult to the original music. Steve Earle describes it as "...hip-hop for people who are afraid of black people."
Serious artists have abandoned the term and now call their music "Americana".
An example of the modern "Country and Western" genre.

And some Billie Joe to show what can be done if you have a soul and a brain.
I liked Tom Petty's description of modern "country" music: a bad rock band with a fiddle.

Petty did notably good work on Johnny Cash's "American" series of recordings.

Artsfols

The Band - The Night they drove ole Dixie down - complete with brass backing - From the album Rock of Ages

The term "Americana" confuses the heck out of Canadians who aren't familiar with the term as a musical genre. Tell them the Band is Americana and they might remind you that 4/5ths of the Band hail from Ontario, Canada. And even Levon Helm from Arkansas played in Toronto with the Hawks (predecessor to the Band) for quite a few years.
Other Canadians in the genre: Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Stan Rogers, Blue Rodeo, Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, Great Big Sea, Matt Andersen. To be honest there's a lot of second rate stuff in the genre as well.
Here's two more Canadians -

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Here's the Grammy Awards (USA) version of 'Americana.' From Wikipedia:

"In 2009, the Academy announced that the award for Best Contemporary Folk/Americana Album would be split into two separate categories: Best Contemporary Folk Album and Best Americana Album. The distinction between the two award categories is based on the use of acoustic versus electric instruments; acoustic instruments predominate in 'contemporary folk' and electric instruments are characteristic of Americana. Jed Hilly, executive director of the Americana Music Association, called the new category's inclusion 'a huge acknowledgment' of the music genre. Hilly admitted to working hard at convincing the Academy to include Americana as its own category. The music industry had been using the term 'Americana music' for about 15 years before the new award was created. Following is the award's purpose, according to the category description guide from the 2018 Grammy Awards:

Americana is contemporary music that incorporates elements of various American roots music and vocal styles, including country, roots-rock, folk, bluegrass, R&B and blues, resulting in a distinctive roots-oriented sound that lives in a world apart from the pure forms of the genres upon which it may draw. While acoustic instruments are often present and vital, Americana also often uses a full electric band.

The award was first presented in 2010 to Levon Helm at the 52nd Grammy Awards for the album Electric Dirt (recommended upthread). Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Brandi Carlile and Keb' Mo' have been nominated the most times (three)."

So, acoustic instruments, maybe with electric instruments (and drums!), but not necessarily. Got it!

For what it's worth, I'll post about bluegrass and Americana I enjoy in this thread. :cool:

Top Bottom