• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(Audiophile) americana and country music? Who likes it? Recommendations?

Barrelhouse Solly

I started listening to folk music around 1960. My preferences in that area are mostly pre-WWII recordings. I like country music but not much after 1970. Taj Mahal has made some great recordings. In blues I do have some contemporary favorites. I think it counts as Americana considering the country of origin. Kim Wilson both vocals and harmonica. If you can find his recordings, R. J. Mischo harp and vocals, whom I've seen live many times. The late James Harman, wonderful on harp and a really fine song writer. Guitar players include Steve Freund, who played with Sunnyland Slim for a long time, Rusty Zinn, and the amazing 14 fingers of Kid Andersen who can play in any style including doing a faithful slide imitation without a slide. I've heard him do country blues, Oscar Moore, and you name it including his own original sounding stuff.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not afraid to ask ... what is "Americana"?

Apparently I like it, quite a lot - most of the posts here
Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels (already mentioned) and I love "Ventura" from the, mixed, album World without Tears

Jim White: Drill a Hole in that Substrate and ...

thegeton

Forum Donor
Sturgill Simpson
Chris Stapleton
Jason Isbell
Steve Earle
Alison Kraus
Buddy Miller
Lucinda Williams
Rhiannon Giddens
Wow! Almost a perfect match for my untitled Greatest Americana Artists list.

You have great taste @SKBubba !

thegeton

Forum Donor
my first post. golly. i have been a Dave Alvin fan for years. Early punkish-stuff with the Blasters, with his brother Phil Alvin, and the LA punk band X. but like a lot of LA punks, moved into "roots rock". he definitely has his finger on the pulse of california. his album "King of California" is not only an awesome album, musically, but is also very well produced. really opened my ears to this style of music as a measure of audio quality. i now use this cd as a go-to test, and also just listen to it because it's beautiful and heart-felt. on the other hand, i can't stand the avett brothers...

Love Dave's interpretation of Dylan's "Highway 61"

robwpdx

Late to the thread. We need one for the UK folk revival beginning in the 60's! Fairport Convention, Richard Thompson, Pentangle, etc.

I follow it from the engineer side.

Rick Rubin is a famous engineer across genres, including country. Notably he did a lot of work with Johnny Cash.

In my area, many rock musicians had bluegrass and roots side projects. The Decemberists, were originally signed by Chad at Hush records. Local engineers Larry Crane and Tucker Martine recorded them.

Sylvia Massy is a famous tracking engineer. She is especially good at vocals (and drums) She has done some country, including tracking Unchained by Johnny Cash with Rick Rubin producing.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sylvia+massy+"country+music"

Some friends have a husband-wife duo Mattie Charles and Katie Rose
https://librarymusicproject.com/artists/matty-charles-and-katie-rose

Cash/Rubin/Massy

What's great about this recording is how underproduced it it

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
folkocracy-cover.jpg

Track Listing:

Alone (feat. Madison Cunningham)

Heading for Home (feat. John Legend)

Twelve-Thirty (Young Girls Are Coming To The Canyon) (feat. Susanna Hoffs, Chris Stills, Sheryl Crow)

Down in the Willow Garden (feat. Brandi Carlile)

Shenandoah

Nacht und Träume

Harvest (feat. Andrew Bird, Chris Stills)

Going to a Town (feat. ANOHNI)

High on a Rocky Ledge (feat. David Byrne)

Kaulana Nā Pua (feat. Nicole Scherzinger)

Hush Little Baby (feat. Martha Wainwright, Lucy Wainwright Roche)

Black Gold (feat. Van Dyke Parks)

Cotton Eyed Joe (feat. Chaka Khan)

Arthur McBride

Wild Mountain Thyme (feat. Anna McGarrigle, Chaim Tannenbaum, Lily
Lanken, Lucy Wainwright Roche, Martha Wainwright)

Tom C

Major Contributor
Saw these two live at the Opry right before the Memorial Day holiday this year. It was the Support the Troops show. They were absolutely fantastic! My vote for best new group of past ten years:
The War and Treaty

Ain’t No Harmin’ Me

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Late to the thread. We need one for the UK folk revival beginning in the 60's! Fairport Convention, Richard Thompson, Pentangle, etc.

I follow it from the engineer side.

Rick Rubin is a famous engineer across genres, including country. Notably he did a lot of work with Johnny Cash.

In my area, many rock musicians had bluegrass and roots side projects. The Decemberists, were originally signed by Chad at Hush records. Local engineers Larry Crane and Tucker Martine recorded them.

Sylvia Massy is a famous tracking engineer. She is especially good at vocals (and drums) She has done some country, including tracking Unchained by Johnny Cash with Rick Rubin producing.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sylvia+massy+"country+music"

Some friends have a husband-wife duo Mattie Charles and Katie Rose
https://librarymusicproject.com/artists/matty-charles-and-katie-rose

Cash/Rubin/Massy

What's great about this recording is how underproduced it it

I couldn't stand Johnny Cash when I was younger. I love the six American albums.

Martin

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For me real Country Music like Blues tells a life story that most people can relate to.
A time in their life that brought much emotional reaction whether bad or good.
The bar-room drinkin songs that at one time or another most of us had to live thru.

George Jones, Tammy Wynette
Aaron Tippon
Merle Haggard
Alan Jackson
Blake Shelton
George Strait
Hank Williams Sr & Jr
Kenny Chesney
Lorrie Morgan
Mickey Gilley
Shania Twain
Willie Nelson
Vince Gill
Travis Tritt.
Toby Keith
& on on on.

A shame what happened to real country when Taylor Swift turned country music radio
into songs for 13 year old girls. :mad:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This whole album is fantastic, turned bluegrass upside down

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rush-Tom-1-Tom-Rush-US-1965.jpg

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor