• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Interface Recommandation

TBsq

Hi, I'm looking for a good USB audio interface with at least 4 balanced analog outputs, a really good dac, stable drivers and reliable under 600€. Thanks!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi, I'm looking for a good USB audio interface with at least 4 balanced analog outputs, a really good dac, stable drivers and reliable under 600€. Thanks!
Eg. Focusrite 4i4. THDplusN is below audibility.
RME UCX is even better but outside your budget.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Motu M4. Very good performer with four balanced output (TRS) for around $250. Motu M5 Ultralite is an even better performer with 10 balanced outputs for a little over $650.

OP
T

TBsq

Eg. Focusrite 4i4. THDplusN is below audibility.
RME UCX is even better but outside your budget.
I read in a few places that the drivers were unstable for Focusrite.
Motu M4. Very good performer with four balanced output (TRS) for around $250. Motu M5 Ultralite is an even better performer with 10 balanced outputs for a little over $650.
I'm not sold on the Motu M4, people seem to not find it reliable.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

I'm not sold on the Motu M4, people seem to not find it reliable.
Focusrite drivers are rock solid. I have been using it for ages with Ableton Live Suite.
But Motu is good too.
Look for Julian Krause on YouTube. He does the best, most objective audio interface reviews next to this site.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

My Clarett 4Pre USB works fine with Windows 10,

OP
T

TBsq

How does the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen commpare to the previous gen?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
How does the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen commpare to the previous gen?
Julian Krause (YouTube) might have measured comparisons, but I am not sure, even if it’s 4i4 etc. 2nd vs 3rd Gen.
As far as I remember the 3rd Gen have cleaner preamps, which is less noise when recording, but please check as I am quoting from memory.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My Clarett 4Pre USB works fine with Windows 10,
The Clarett 2pre also has 4 line outputs that are balanced TRS. It is well within your budget. The Clarett line are a good improvement over the Scarlett line. The Scarlett would be fine, but the Clarett has better specs and is USB-C. It is limited to two analog inputs, though it has an optical input. Make sure you get the USB C version as it can accept both ADAT and SPDIF optical. The Thunderbolt version only accepts ADAT optical. Amazon currently has it on sale for $379 in the USA as it is normally $499.

I might spring for the Motu 5 Ultralite as it has more analog inputs and outputs. Either should do the job for you.

Top Bottom