• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio from USB back-pannel "clicking/popping"

xineis

Dear ASR colleagues,
I just received an Audeze Deckard that I bought from another user here. I also have a Micca Origen+ at my desktop setup. Both are USB DACs which I use, not at the same time.

Yesterday I tested the Deckard at my friend's laptop and it was great, loads of power. Today when I had a chance to plug it to my PC, I noticed that it started clicking and popping at times. Since I did not hear that yesterday, I found it quite odd. Changing the USB connector from the back-pannel to the front-pannel, the issue stopped.

Back-pannel has a mouse, keyboard, webcam, the Origen+ and an external HD.

What could the cause of this problem? I tried unplugging each of the devices and it didn't matter. Only using the front USB bus cleared it.

Any advices or suggestions?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Back-pannel has a mouse, keyboard, webcam, the Origen+ and an external HD.

What could the cause of this problem?

Clicks and pops on digital can be a symptom of missing data.

The "back" ports may be on a different USB "hub" than the front ports, and, along with a webcam, may be near its data capacity (guessing)

--- oh, now I see you unplugged the webcam.

Any advices or suggestions?

Use the USB port that works.

OP
xineis

xineis

Clicks and pops on digital can be a symptom of missing data.

The "back" ports may be on a different USB "hub" than the front ports, and, along with a webcam, may be near its data capacity (guessing)

--- oh, now I see you unplugged the webcam.

Use the USB port that works.

It is a different hub, yes. I just didn't expect the capacity to run out, even more since I unplugged pretty all but the keyboard and mouse, and since there are a couple of USB ports unused.

Besides what Ray said, sometimes the jacks don't mate well with some sockets vs others. So try a different cable.

I will try a different cable tomorrow and see if it solves anything! Maybe USB cables do make a difference! :D (joke about the article)

Top Bottom