• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio engine A5+ - thoughts?

Freefallfinn

New to audio just purchased audio engine a5+ with a uturn orbit theory turntable. Honestly, I’m not really impressed and would like some direction or thoughts from experienced audiophiles. I can’t get anyone from uturn to contact me. I spoke with someone at audioengine. When you turn the volume up, there seems to be some bass distortion. Should I return the speakers? Additionally, the stands they suggest on their site don’t even fit the speakers (Lolol) any advice is appreciated. I bought both of these because they got good reviews online.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
You need to provide quite a bit more detail. What are your goals for the system, how do you like to listen, loud, moderate, quietly? What music do you listen to, are you a critical listener or just want something in the background while you work? And yes, if you are getting bass distortion, you probably should consider returning the speakers, although for me no idea about vinyl, or any desire to use vinyl ever again, so it might be possible the turntable is contributing to the distortion, but I am not sure. It seems likely that it is a combination of the turntable analogue output and the speakers resulting in the distortion. Curious to hear what others think.

OP
F

Freefallfinn

My apologies…I just listen to vinyl. Once is a while, I like to turn the volume up but most of the time it’s moderate. It’s interesting I’ve become more critical since I bought these. I listen to Dylan, Eagles, The Smiths, TuPac, Mobb Deep, some of todays music, classical. I’m pretty confident it’s not the turntable. Is the wiring they provide with the speakers subpar? They’ve offered to let me return the speakers. They also said the speakers need time to “break in” ‍♂️

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just want to make sure. You did order the turntable with the optional built-in phono pre-amp, right?

ta240

Major Contributor
... When you turn the volume up, there seems to be some bass distortion....
"Up" is a very subjective term. Up, like to where you feel the music? Distortion could mean pushing the speaker or the amp in the speaker past its abilities.
I bought both of these because they got good reviews online.
What works well for some may not for others. Room interactions, different listening levels...

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Stupid question: You wouldn't have the speakers and the turntable on a common shelf...? This may result in some nasty feedback. A concrete platter supported by some halved tennis balls may provide the required isolation for the turntable, likewise a rigid wall-mounted support. You can buy sorbothane mats for decoupling monitor speakers as well, they're not expensive.

Looks pretty primitive to me for $999, although that's mostly the externally belt-driven acrylic platter's fault. It's sad how things taken for granted for a midrange turntable in the 1980s (like some decent arm bearings) are being advertised as fancy features these days. And it's not like a decent Technics would be any cheaper, quite the contrary (an SL-100C is marginally more expensive and still needs a phonopre, the SL-1500C with one seems to be out of stock right now).

Am I ever glad I'm not much into vinyl these days. Folks buying a record player today are bearing all the tooling cost of new production lines with fairly limited runs compared to the heyday of vinyl 40 years ago. Painful.

The A5+ is not a bad speaker, but I bet you could do a whole lot better in that department if you did not have to spend a grand on a turntable first. I'd rather just collect the vinyl (which remains a deeply flawed medium) and listen to the digital version using a decent USB dongle or a DAC sub-$200 or so.

ozzy9832001

I don't know if you're going to get the impact from the A5+ that you're looking for. They are comparable to the Kanto line of speakers, somewhere between the YU4's and the YU6's and neither of those are really capable of putting out especially in the low end. I used the a5+ as a living room set for my TV and they were junk. Kanto's weren't any better. Room interactions aside, the bass starts to show weakness around 75dB and is nearly unlistenable at about 83dB.

The real draw to these speakers is they offer decent performance in the nearfield like a computer speaker, but if you are any distance away, the amount of power to get decent volume is beyond what they are capable of producing. You'd need a subwoofer crossed about 200hz to remove a lot of the bass to take the tremendous stress off the woofer.

Giving us the details like how big the room is and what distance you are from the speakers will give us a better understanding of your current situation.

OP
F

Freefallfinn

I don't know if you're going to get the impact from the A5+ that you're looking for. They are comparable to the Kanto line of speakers, somewhere between the YU4's and the YU6's and neither of those are really capable of putting out especially in the low end. I used the a5+ as a living room set for my TV and they were junk. Kanto's weren't any better. Room interactions aside, the bass starts to show weakness around 75dB and is nearly unlistenable at about 83dB.

The real draw to these speakers is they offer decent performance in the nearfield like a computer speaker, but if you are any distance away, the amount of power to get decent volume is beyond what they are capable of producing. You'd need a subwoofer crossed about 200hz to remove a lot of the bass to take the tremendous stress off the woofer.

Giving us the details like how big the room is and what distance you are from the speakers will give us a better understanding of your current situation.
They’re not that far away. Also, if not them, what do you recommend? I’m really thinking I should send them back.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Stupid question: You wouldn't have the speakers and the turntable on a common shelf...? This may result in some nasty feedback. A concrete platter supported by some halved tennis balls may provide the required isolation for the turntable, likewise a rigid wall-mounted support. You can buy sorbothane mats for decoupling monitor speakers as well, they're not expensive.

Looks pretty primitive to me for $999, although that's mostly the externally belt-driven acrylic platter's fault. It's sad how things taken for granted for a midrange turntable in the 1980s (like some decent arm bearings) are being advertised as fancy features these days. And it's not like a decent Technics would be any cheaper, quite the contrary (an SL-100C is marginally more expensive and still needs a phonopre, the SL-1500C with one seems to be out of stock right now).
That deck is less primitive than you'd think. OK, it's not direct drive (we in the UK used to sneer ignorantly at such decks and belt drive ruled regardless) and the cord drives the perimeter of the platter, the acrylic actually making for a good 'interface' with the vinyl.. The tonearm is one piece (can be great for lowering resonances in the midrange if done right) and the 2M cartridge no slouch (I love the 2M Bronze especially but the Blue is alright too with clean records)...

Forgive my late 70's Linn conditioning here, but it's important for vinyl... - The siting of a deck like this (and Regas and all manner of non-suspended decks relying on rubbery feet for 'suspension) is crucial whatever the speakers you end up with :) take the lid off when playing and keep the deck away from corners where bass modes can live. Maybe an extra sorbothane sheet for it to stand on is enough (thump the shelf or cabinet top it's sat on and see what comes through the speakers when a record is playing, the aim is for nothing!). Same for the speakers if you can't place them on dedicated stands.

I can't give a speaker recommendation unless you get a powered line driver preamp with volume control and go to active speakers (which lack a volume control) such as Kali or maybe a JBL 300 series. Set these up not close to the turntable and hopefully you'll get a really good sound from that deck. No idea on decent new preamps for not much money, but Rotel 900 series were very good (later ones without phono stage) I remember and far eastern made Audiolab (8000Q) should be cheap enough on the used market (I'm speaking from a UK perspective with apologies if it doesn't count).

Vinyl systems do need some work and money to get right and despite the purist pro-digital stance from me and others, playing records can be a fun and tactile experience in addition to any sonic qualities you like. Good luck and hope you can find a solution.

Top Bottom