• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Analyzer App or Software?

12Many

I am a bit lost here, but is there an iOS app or laptop software that I can use with a mic to analyze the sound of my system? It would be interesting to see or better understand the frequency content and sound magnitude. I am having some bass issues and am trying to better understand my room and have some info from the app to use in addition to my ears. I am also wondering if my subs could be better tuned / positioned / replaced and this might provide some useful info. (I have two SVS SB12-NSD and they seem boomy and slow in my room so considering getting a Rythmic F12 instead). Thanks. System is Node to Benchmark DAC3 to AHB2 Amp to Revel F208 and the two subs.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
REW (free) runs on a computer. You do need a calibrated microphone (about $100 USD) if you want to measure frequency response or dB SPL.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
(I have two SVS SB12-NSD and they seem boomy and slow in my room so considering getting a Rythmic F12 instead).
With low frequencies you mainly hear the room itself. Another sub will probably not fix this.

Try experimenting with placement, use dsp to correct standing waves (peaks) and add some absorption in the room - a lot if you want to tackle the low frequencies.

ozzy9832001

Depending on the room, having 2 subs can be good or bad. Maybe too much energy being put into it and standing waves creating a muddy mess in the low end. Try with just 1 and different positions (like behind you). If you want to try both subs, have them at a diagonal from one another. You could try different polarity as well.

OP

12Many

Thanks everyone for the helpful posts. I will research this weekend.

evalrat

i bought SPLnFFT years ago in a package with Speakermeter and DiapasonAG audiogenerator. Of course you need a device with a headphone/Mic connetor. I use a dirtCheap imm6 microphone because the build in Mic of my iPad is disfunctioning, but the imm6 as a mic is particulairy handy as it has a breakout connector for the audio output. The generator only makes sense if you have a second i-device to run it on. You can't run the generator and analyser concurently on a single device.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Spelling Errors, caused by Dutch autocorrect, sorry.
You can edit your posts:
Screenshot_20230523-144300_Chrome.png

evalrat

Thanks for the tip. I entered my post on my ipad however, no idea how to defeat autocorrect.

evalrat

PS. You don't need the generator to use the other tools, They have their own (simpler) generator built in.

Top Bottom