• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Ok the response came they have Klippel R&D system whatever that is not the NFS
They have looked around properly, because one of our members is adamant?
Keith

dfuller

Major Contributor
I think they should consider buying a NFS, but that's a pretty serious chunk of cash.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Truth to be said is that while it speeds up and simplifies the process of measuring loudspeakers it is not a must, most companies with currently some of the best measuring loudspeakers like Genelec, Neumann, Revel, KEF etc. also don't have one.
With $100k for example a lot of design, modelling and simulation software can be acquired which is also important (if not even more) for excellent engineering.

dfuller

Major Contributor
By the way - I matched HifiNews' measurements to Amir's scaling and a 20k cutoff. That definitely qualifies as "neutral" on axis to me... Could it be better? Sure. But it sure as hell isn't a trash fire like some in this thread say.

1710946555337.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way - I matched HifiNews' measurements to Amir's scaling and a 20k cutoff. That definitely qualifies as "neutral" on axis to me... Could it be better? Sure. But it sure as hell isn't a trash fire like some in this thread say.
Do you have some examples of people saying here they are trash fire? I have rather the impression that most agree here that they measure ok, not just SOTA anymore as they might have been 30 years ago, especially considering their current pricing.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Do you have some examples of people saying here they are trash fire? I have rather the impression that most agree here that they measure ok, not just SOTA anymore as they might have been 30 years ago, especially considering their current pricing.
Yes, I'm not going to tag them because I don't really appreciate their attitude, but their username starts with an I.

Eckerslad

That is a very flat ( horizontal ) target, the early Trinnov units we imported corrected to a flat FR, I suggested to them that they should include some targets with a slightly more downward sloping target, which I believe they now include?
Have you tried a slightly more downward tilted slope.
Keith
I’ve been tinkering with my target curve and tilted the treble down a little, as you suggest. Sounds sweeter - thanks!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That’s great , you might try moving the speakers back closer to the front wall, ( if they aren’t already) that should give you a bit more bass and if any particular frequency begins to excite the room you can cut the top of the peak with eq.
Keith

Avp1

Tovarich007

No Klippel NFS at ATC, but is this so important ?

ATC has decades of experience in drivers and loudspeaker design, an anechoic chamber, and is a serious company that doesn't tell bullshit about the sound of cables, power chords, break in period, etc.

Okay, they're too pricey and very conservative. Companies like Genelec, Neumann, PSI, Kii and a few others have the edge over ATC now IMHO.
But it doesn't mean ATC is not good because it doesn't use Klippel NFS.
The best tool is nothing without the intelligence and experience of its users.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All Anechoic chambers are not alike. Huge difference in capabilities between a 200hz and 20hz anechoic chamber. I'm not even sure if 20hz anechoics exist.

Also remember the NFS' advantages beyond the room independence and low frequency resolution. It automatically captures measurements in a sphere (or cylinder) around the DUT; in all three dimensions, automatically, with high precision. The quality of the data about the soundfield is superior to measurements taken in the horizontal+vertical.

Yes the NFS takes hours, but doing what it does with a less automated system could take days-weeks.

dfuller

Major Contributor
All Anechoic chambers are not alike. Huge difference in capabilities between a 200hz and 20hz anechoic chamber. I'm not even sure if 20hz anechoics exist.

Also remember the NFS' advantages beyond the room independence and low frequency resolution. It automatically captures measurements in a sphere (or cylinder) around the DUT; in all three dimensions, automatically, with high precision. The quality of the data about the soundfield is superior to measurements taken in the horizontal+vertical.

Yes the NFS takes hours, but doing what it does with a less automated system could take days-weeks.
And if you're already in the Klippel system, it's easy to add additional measurements e.g. distortion and compression.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They do look nice. Is ATC good stuff?
Limited to just 150 pairs, the 2-way active stand-mount design (US Retail $13,999 per pair).
To support the SCM20ASL Limited Edition, a limited run of 20 of ATC’s new 12” active subwoofer, the C4 Sub Mk2 Limited Edition (US Retail $9,999 each).
In France there is a saying that goes:" it's in old pots that we make the best soups" ATC seems to apply it.

YSDR

That must be a fake ATC speaker, the drivers are not even in the same position as the original model. :)
But this is a special edition, not the original SCM20.
Similar things already happened before at ATC.

goat76

Major Contributor
But this is a special edition, not the original SCM20.
Similar things already happened before at ATC.

You are probably right, I just found it strange that the drivers are positioned differently in height than the regular SCM20.

Top Bottom