• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

goat76

Major Contributor
It looks like with the Genelecs you have to bend the entire room decor to accomodate the speakers.

I find it a little bit odd that a person with that type of playback gear would go for a pair of Genelecs, I think some Harbeth speakers would have melted in better with that style. :)

index.php

YSC

Major Contributor
I find it a little bit odd that a person with that type of playback gear would go for a pair of Genelecs, I think some Harbeth speakers would have melted in better with that style. :)

index.php
the gears are likely just acquired throughout the years, the stands judging by the size could have been taken by some other speakers, but then for some reason he found the Genelecs better and replaced them could be the reason why it ends l ike as is, who knows unless one is the user, orr it can even be a very well setup demo room from a who knows where dealer

Liya

the gears are likely just acquired throughout the years, the stands judging by the size could have been taken by some other speakers, but then for some reason he found the Genelecs better and replaced them could be the reason why it ends l ike as is, who knows unless one is the user, orr it can even be a very well setup demo room from a who knows where dealer
I think that these are side tables, not speaker stands.
When I was looking for some stands for the 8030C I ended up looking at side tables.
The Genelec Triol stands (for smaller models) are £1300 a pair and not that great looking.

Liya

index.php
Especially when you notice some isolation platforms under each component. What about isolation platforms for the in-built amps? ;)
Highly inconsistent setup.

dfuller

Major Contributor
That's the home version the SCM 50A Pro is a little cheaper at $17,500

View attachment 351678

And, on a technical level, actually slightly superior... The rounded edges are generally an improvement over the stair step on the domestic line.

Especially when you notice some isolation platforms under each component. What about isolation platforms for the in-built amps? ;)
Highly inconsistent setup.
Makes sense with tape and vinyl, they are more sensitive to external vibrations (especially vinyl).

dfuller

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Yes, it's (in theory) to counteract the off axis flare around the crossover when you don't have any dispersion control on the tweeter. More of an issue on 2 ways than 3 ways.
Two things to discuss:
1.Flat fr sounds harsh and forward in most cases
2. Pink noise sounds flatter with the BBC dip

YSC

Major Contributor
Two things to discuss:
1.Flat fr sounds harsh and forward in most cases
2. Pink noise sounds flatter with the BBC dip
that's when directivity error is prominant.. but still seems off topic in an ATC thread?

DSJR

Major Contributor
Why is the SCM50A worth almost double the price of KH420 and 8361?
My take? Now tiny firm needing to survive, coupled with a lucrative far eastern market more interested in wood veneers and a healthy price tag than outright performance. Company is now run by Billy's son I believe, who was I'm told, a lawyer ;)

dfuller

Major Contributor
My take? Now tiny firm needing to survive, coupled with a lucrative far eastern market more interested in wood veneers and a healthy price tag than outright performance. Company is now run by Billy's son I believe, who was I'm told, a lawyer ;)
ATC's pro market is massive at this point. They literally can't make SCM25s fast enough.

DSJR

Major Contributor

index.php
Not sure, as the looser Harbeth bass wouldn't really go with the vinyl source...

DSJR

Major Contributor
ATC's pro market is massive at this point. They literally can't make SCM25s fast enough.
Haven't they introduced a new version, slightly taller and with their own tweeter?

DSJR

Major Contributor
So, he's finally made his way to the late 1980's!!!

I still love 'em in active form (passives aren't too wonderful), but I have no qualms about how much better (value and maybe performance too) more modern offerings can be..

Top Bottom