• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Open Source Streamer Project

Chrise36

Major Contributor
It is a cheap plug and play option we can upgrade to the C 8-12 which has better DACs (AKM) but it is pricier. From my experience with the car DSP it is good enough. Cheap and SOTA is tricky.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Doesn't need to be SOTA , it needs game changing functionality at a accessible price point .

All ills need to be well below audible thresholds but not so much so we create problems for ourselves.

Thats what we are about, bringing real progressive change and putting the power into the consumers hand . EQ and DSP do that, no need to undermine this by obsessional searches for vanishing SINAD numbers .

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I'm done with HifiBerryOS. It's now already the third time I had to reinstall it due to corruption after powerloss. These OS'es should really be resilient to these things.

Flashing Moode now.. hopefully, that will be more reliable..

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

thyristor

Adding third party proprietary binaries like Roon Server to a Linux system is bad practice. There are obvious security concerns and also installing such packages will quickly lead to dependency hell with the package manager of the Linux Distribution used. That's why all major Linux Distributions like Debian and Fedora recommend that the users don't install programs outside of the package manager and will not provide support on the forums for such programs.

Maintaining a Linux Distribution (which this project would be) that includes closed source binaries would be nightmare for the maintainers as it would be impossible to fix the bugs of such programs.

gingerbeer

Adding third party proprietary binaries like Roon Server to a Linux system is bad practice.

Maintaining a Linux Distribution (which this project would be) that includes closed source binaries would be nightmare for the maintainers as it would be impossible to fix the bugs of such programs.

whilst in an ideal world everything would be free and open, reality is that it isn’t and at times a closed source binary that adds functionality is the lesser of two evils.

There are a lot of audio/media projects available for Linux with Roon/Spotify/etc and and they have been working fine for years, so calling it an impossible nightmare is probably overstating things a bit.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
For the streamer, Moode has just been updated to version 7.10 which includes the CamillaDSP fully embedded.

https://moodeaudio.org

This should pretty much tick most of the software boxes and is compatible with a lot of different hardware.

Can Moode 7.10 run standalone on an RPi like Volumio, or does it need a server?

gingerbeer

Can Moode 7.10 run standalone on an RPi like Volumio, or does it need a server?
Stand-alone.

Simple to try as you can just download the image from the website and copy it to an SD card.

Same as volumio and others - once it can be seen on your network you can use a webpage to control it direct and it also appears as a destination target for airplay/Spotify etc if you want to stream to it from another device.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Stand-alone.

Simple to try as you can just download the image from the website and copy it to an SD card.

Same as volumio and others - once it can be seen on your network you can use a webpage to control it direct and it also appears as a destination target for airplay/Spotify etc if you want to stream to it from another device.

So, like Volumio, it doesn’t have to be configured via Linux commands?

Do you have a good (simple) instruction link? I have an old RPi and may try it.

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
I downloaded and installed moode yesterday and was up and running in minutes. Just make sure to start with an Ethernet cable connected the first time before configuring your wifi. Ssh is active (user pi, password moodeaudio - but you don’t need to use it), and Wifi and audio settings can be configured from the web ui.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Well, I'm done with HifiBerryOS. It's now already the third time I had to reinstall it due to corruption after powerloss. These OS'es should really be resilient to these things.

Flashing Moode now.. hopefully, that will be more reliable..
Probably not significantly different - most of them have a very similar underlying base. PiCorePlayer is an outlier and probably much more robust as the core OS runs from RAM once booted, and only writes to the filesystem when you change configuration. It's probably a bit more vulnerable if you're running LMS on it.

Having said that, the only times I've had corruption that stops the Pi booting the usual Pi operating systems has been when the SD card was failing with I/O errors on a bit of the card holding something critical. Even when kids at the code club were pulling the cards out while the system was running it would usually boot again, although they lost anything that was in the write cache before making it to the card. Maybe I've just been lucky.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Adding third party proprietary binaries like Roon Server to a Linux system is bad practice. There are obvious security concerns and also installing such packages will quickly lead to dependency hell with the package manager of the Linux Distribution used. That's why all major Linux Distributions like Debian and Fedora recommend that the users don't install programs outside of the package manager and will not provide support on the forums for such programs.

That's a half truth that ignores the distros like Raspberry Pi OS that include binary packages for proprietary redistributable software, either directly or via separate repositories. Certainly it has its difficulties and limitations, but so does maintaining an open source implementation of a reverse engineered protocol that could change at any moment.

Reactions: alx

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
'Prototype' being the operative word I think - optional variations have already been mentioned, so building it into the speaker may not be out of the question. The FA122 is the width of a CD, so building them into a stand is another option. From a value point of view you're getting known good amps plus DSP for crossovers with analog and digital inputs for less than the cost of some of the DACs people are proposing. Add a Pi with a digital output hat and your choice of OS with room correction and we're more or less done. I keep hoping someone will point out a decent, low cost, multichannel (6+) DAC that I've missed, since I've already got more than enough amps, but I'm still waiting. Maybe this will have an easy way to expand the channel count, and avoid some of the noises people still complain about with the BeoCreate.
Thanks, the mind map is really useful, like so many of your other suggestions.

Top Bottom