• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR members' take on HiFi spending

Your take on HiFi spending?

• Rough times and limited funds, I'm in a race to the bottom of the barrel.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • As long as I see value in the product.

Votes: 46 37.4%
  • I am willing to pay a premium for what I want even if the value is not so good.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I'm not a poor college student anymore, I got disposable income to spend and I deserve it.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I'm frugal and hunting for deals is fun.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Anyone spending more than the minimum needed has an ego.

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Hit the jackpot in life, I can spend money like a rapper!

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GM3

Bang for the buck. The best performance for the money. And the aimed performance is high performance, without getting into audio-fool territory, not paying huge sums of money for very small incremental 'upgrades'.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not trying to call anyone out, and I only put this option here because I hear it all the time.

Why is spending on luxury (I consider anything more than the minimum a luxury) an ego thing? I know I buy luxury for self enjoyment and gluttony.

Some people buy expensive art anonymously without anyone knowing and they enjoy it in secrecy.

Ask any straight man here if they want a really hot girlfriend or wife for their ego or for their sexual enjoyment. Hey, just sayin'.

I don't get this thinking at all, someone explain.

View attachment 306933
Well, first we have to define, "minimum needed". I expect a certain level of performance. Somebody else may not care that much. Already the logic unravels.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The third one seemed most applicable, but not like I'm shopping all the time or buying gear without a specific use in mind....

egellings

Major Contributor
My audio amplification electronics is home-brewed, so it cost relatively little, and I could use premium components. I was therefore able to spend the savings on better speakers, since I have no knowledge of or facilities to make speakers. Electronics is my game, both S.S. and vacuum tube.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
None of the "check-boxes" really work for me.

I sort-of consider myself an "economical audiophile", but I never really considered myself an audiophile because it seemed like they were into expensive-exotic equipment that didn't necessarily sound better to me. I've always been a "picky" listener and a music lover and I've always enjoyed good sound quality, but I never thought I had golden ears. And now the term "audiophile" has a lot of negative connotations for me. And, I realize that most of those golden-ear audiophiles were fooling themselves and/or everybody else.

There were times when I had more disposable income but still wouldn't buy something unless it sounded better to me.

I'm older now and I've acquired most of what I want. My latest two purchases were AVRs. The 2nd one because the 1st didn't have HDMI. My surround set-up has a combination of speakers that I've built or accumulated/acquired. Somebody gave me the rear speakers hanging behind my couch which are supposed to be floor-standards (15-inch woofers). The amp powering my passive home-build subwoofers is something I've had for many years (long before I had subs). I built passive subs because I already had an amp.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
The poll says it all.

Clarification for the option "As long as I see value in the product."

it should be "As long as I see value in the product, even if it is expensive."

With that clarification, that was my vote.

Value includes all sorts of things like aesthetics/haptics and UX in my estimation, but some only see it in cost-effectiveness technical performance criteria terms, which is a different valid approach.

Personally I've never enjoyed obsessive bargain-hunting or thrift in general. Sucks the joy out of life. The opposite really, spending more than I should can be oddly satisfying if the result is a really nice thing (otoh I really don't buy much gear compared to many here). But if a bargain just throws itself in front of me I'll appreciate that for sure.

Last edited:

LuvTheMusic

Fun poll, and I doubt that the OP meant anyone to take it too seriously. But it bears noting that the categories (answers) are not mutually exclusive. For example, many of us are no longer poor college students (choice 4), buy what we want if we see value (choice 2), and still can be frugal and find it fun to hunt for deals (choice 5). In fact, many of us can manage all three on the same day! ;)

Top Bottom