• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ART DJPRE II vs Fosi Audio X2 modded

AZ3-Chan

Hello, I recently bought an ART DJPRE II to replace my modded Fosi Audio X2 because it distorted at higher levels than the normal 39 dB. The problem is I can't really tell which one is really better, it seems to me that the Fosi is kinda brighter or as more resolution and the DJPRE II is darker but it is a really close call. I'll include some sample files so you guys can compare the two and then tell me what you think.

Samples : Here

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On a laptop I wouldn't be able to tell....but curious if there is some reason they would sound different like using different RIAA eq?

OP
A

AZ3-Chan

On a laptop I wouldn't be able to tell....but curious if there is some reason they would sound different like using different RIAA eq?
Possible, there seems to be higher frequency spikes on the Fosi Audio graph than the ART DJPRE.

SSA

On first listen I preferred the Fosi but after a few playbacks I think I actually prefer the Art. The Fosi is brighter or more open (however best to describe it) and perhaps a little more detail but it sounds harsher to my ear. I don't know the track so hard for me know exactly how it should sound.

I am playing back on an RME ADI-2 and Focal Stellia's so a decent set up.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Be nice if someone could post up a more technical analysis....relying on different systems/rooms/ears is really not conclusive.

SSA

On first listen I preferred the Fosi but after a few playbacks I think I actually prefer the Art. The Fosi is brighter or more open (however best to describe it) and perhaps a little more detail but it sounds harsher to my ear. I don't know the track so hard for me know exactly how it should sound.

I had a look at both samples in Spek and Fosi extends to 48kHz and the Art to just over 40kHz so there is a limitation there. Whether or not that makes any difference I don't know but thought it was interesting to point out.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a look at both samples in Spek and Fosi extends to 48kHz and the Art to just over 40kHz so there is a limitation there. Whether or not that makes any difference I don't know but thought it was interesting to point out.
A dog might be able to tell a difference like that?

OP
A

AZ3-Chan

Thank you for your feedback it is much appreciated. I don't have the equipment to do any real technical analytics so I mostly rely on my ears. For the file that is 40khz I honestly don't know why that is, the first one exported fine in audacity but the second one was kinda messed up. I also tried to use a 12V power supply instead of the 9V on the ART that was deemed "crappy" by Amir and it seems to bring back more resolution I could send you more samples if you'd like.

SSA

I can't do any technical analysis either but I would be interested to listen to a CD rip for comparison. What is the track called?

Top Bottom