• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aries Femto streamer volume control quality?

Saffy

Am buying the Chord Qutest DAC and it has NO volume control..

So forced to use the volume control on my Aires, as my amp has no remote. I absolutely need a remote volume control..

Problem is that early-on Aires recommended that we not use theirs and instead use the volume control on your DAC - this back in 2014 (v. 4.0). Yet I've see blogs, etc.. since then hinting that Aries had fixed that shortcoming, and that its fine now?

My issue, is not knowing what to believe. Does anyone have updated information on this subject? I'm using v9.1 ,firmware today

Thank you

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very few DACs have analog volume control. Vast majority of them uses the volume control feature of their DAC chip, controlled via USB control messages. As a result you get 24 (sometimes 32)-bit volume control. I very much doubt the volume control in your streamer will be using fewer bits (more or less certainty). In the end identical attenuated samples will reach the upsampling stage of your DAC chip, it does not matter if the division by a fixed number (i.e. volume control) is performed by the streamer or by the digital circuitry of the chip.

Last edited:
OP
Saffy

Saffy

Thank you all, though for better clarity:

I have the Chord Qutest DAC and it has NO volume control…

So I’m forced to use the volume control from my Aires Femto app, as my amp has no remote volume. I absolutely need a remote volume control..

I know that I can use the Auralic “lightening” app volume control, though concerned that its not bit-perfect once attenuated. How do I mitigate that effect?

I have my “Lightening” app volume-control type setting on "software" and the max volume set a "100". I have set my amp (300b) mechanical volume control at 2/3s and adjust the volume from the Lightening app.

Question: by reducing volume via the “lightening” app, the stream loses bits (correct?). To minimize this, should I not coordinate my amp setting so that I can maintain my app volume at 100 most of the time, only reducing it as needed?, as opposed to living with it say 80-90 while both increasing or decreasing as needed?

Looking for the best solution un the current circumstance. Thank you.

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No digital volume control is bit-perfect, by principle.

Typically the advice is to have only as much analog gain in the amp to afford playing close to full digital resolution for a reasonable listening level. I.e. to keep the analog levels DAC -> amp as high as possible, to obtain the best signal/noise ratio, without unneccessary attenuation both in digital and analog domains. But in reality few users can adjust (= decrease) gain of their power amps...

OP
Saffy

Saffy

Thank you all, have adjusted my amp volume so that the lightening software app. controls the overall volume nicely at between 90 -100. Most times its comfortable listening at a 100%, which also works for my DSD recordings, otherwise a slight attenuation is all that's needed. Can't think of a better way to mitigate the posible degradation from the streamer's digital volume control.

Top Bottom