• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Argon Audio

Basement

Is it possible to add the "network bridge" mode (power off the DAC) by updating the firmware? I will immediately order the unit if there is such a possibility and you promise that you will implement it in the next firmware update
unfortunately we can't disable the DAC in the current product.

MaximXXL

unfortunately we can't disable the DAC in the current product.
You do not deny the influence of the internal DAC on the Solo digital output (albeit not significantly). Then why did you decide to make a non-disconnectable DAC?

Basement

You do not deny the influence of the internal DAC on the Solo digital output (albeit not significantly). Then why did you decide to make a non-disconnectable DAC?
I don't believe there would be any benefits disabling the internal DAC. Digital audio output is bi-phase encoded so the critical part is the clock recovery at the receiver end.

MaximXXL

the critical part is the clock recovery at the receiver end.
Explain, please, how the "phantom signal at 180 degrees. Out of phase" helps clock recovery on the receiver side.

Last edited:

Basement

Explain, please, how the "phantom signal at 180 degrees. Out of phase" helps clock recovery on the receiver side.
It's two different things. The internal 180 deg. signal is very effective in removing radiated noise and avoids audio data modulating the digital power supply lines. Clean supply for clocking is important to avoid jitter. SPDIF signal (not to be confused with the 180 deg. signal internally in SOLO) is bi-phase encoded. This is clever way to embed both data and clock into one signal line. However extracting the a low jitter clock at the receiver end is very difficult no matter the quality of the transmitter end.

MaximXXL

a low jitter clock at the receiver end is very difficult no matter the quality of the transmitter end.
Let the receiver (dac) do the job perfectly - it still doesn't "kill" the jitter that the transmitter introduces into the signal, right?

phion

do you have SINAD measurements for the DAC? I am thinking why (besides Chromecast which is nice) I should buy this and not Allo Boss2?

MaximXXL

I am thinking why (besides Chromecast which is nice) I should buy this and not Allo Boss2?
Nearly!) My dac is chord mojo. I am satisfied with its sound, but it is quite sensitive to the source and type of connection.
I'm wondering why Solo and not Prisma NP5 or Node 2i? Solo "kills" them at half price, but what about the quality of the digital outputs?

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2021-12-11 в 11.09.46.png
    Снимок экрана 2021-12-11 в 11.09.46.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:

litemotiv

I am thinking why (besides Chromecast which is nice) I should buy this and not Allo Boss2?

Chromecast is one of the main selling points of this device in this price range, it's not a 'besides'. Comparing it to the Allo Boss2 is therefore not useful, they are apples and oranges. Either you are looking for a streamer with Chromecast and this device or the NP5 (at more than twice the price) can be interesting options for you, or you don't need something with Chromecast and the Allo can be an option. It's as simple as that.

Another big difference is ofcourse that an Allo Boss2 is user-managed, you are responsible for it's OS and software updates etc. Things like Spotify or Tidal can stop working at any time, since they are using open source implementations. The SOLO is manufacturer-managed, it's plug and play and receives automatic firmware updates. Two very different approaches obviously.

My dac is chord mojo. I am satisfied with its sound, but it is quite sensitive to the source and type of connection.
I'm wondering why Solo and not Prisma NP5?

I'm wondering why the Chord Mojo? Perhaps you should just get rid of that if it's so sensitive, instead of focusing on what reclocking can do "in theory".

Good DACs are transparent anyway, you're not going to gain any audible improvement by using a Chord Mojo instead of the internal DAC of either the Solo or the NP5.

MaximXXL

Good DACs are transparent anyway
It is for this reason that a clean source is especially important, isn't it? But my experience is mostly analog (vinyl) so I could be wrong.
P.S. There is no DAC in the Prisma NP5.

litemotiv

P.S. There is no DAC in the Prisma NP5.

Ok that could make the decision even easier.

If the measurements are the determining factor for you, same for user phion, then it's probably a matter of waiting a bit more for a review unit being sent to Amir.

Music1969

Major Contributor
@Basement Tidal Connect coming?

Really wish SOLO had ethernet port ! My wired network is much more reliable than WiFi

MaximXXL

If the measurements are the determining factor for you
Yes. But also, I would like to know - can the DAC correct (reduce) jitter, which has a source or can only add its own? Does anyone know the answer?

Last edited:

phion

Ok that could make the decision even easier.

If the measurements are the determining factor for you, same for user phion, then it's probably a matter of waiting a bit more for a review unit being sent to Amir.
I wonder why the designer here can’t share their own measurements (assuming they have made some) prior to testing by Amir. I would buy it now if those are reasonable.

litemotiv

I would buy it now if those are reasonable.

Just buy the device if you like its feature set and find the price reasonable (which it is). They said they are looking to send a unit to Amir in due time, so it's safe to assume this means they are confident enough that it won't perform poorly.

You can then do your own tests if you want, and if you then don't like how it performs, send it back.

Top Bottom