• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Argon Audio

HCT-5808

I see that the Argon Solo is Roon ready. But wifi only?! At 249 Euros that looked real attractive. But I can't imagine using a wifi only device in this role.

Superdad

Audio Company
I'm the designer of the Argon Audio SOLO. Feel free to ask if you have any tech related questions.

-Michael
Hi Michael:
Do you any distributors or dealers for North America? Or can you ship over to the USA? I would like to purchase a Solo for my brother.
Thanks and regards,
--Alex C.

phion

I'm the designer of the Argon Audio SOLO. Feel free to ask if you have any tech related questions.

-Michael
Hi,
I am curious about the Chromecast built in the Argon Solo. What’s the max audio resolution it is capable of receiving via Chromecast? In particular, if I play 192/24 on Qobuz and cast on Solo, will I read 192/24 on my DAC connected to it via SPDIF?

Does it support gapless playback via Chromecast? How about via DLNA?

Also can the Toslink output 192/24?

Thanks

litemotiv

I bought an Argon SOLO last month when it was on sale for €149,- (Netherlands). I haven't tried it out yet since my current DAC/Amp has a built-in Chromecast, i am expecting a new DAC/preamp to arrive later this month which lacks Chromecast so i bought the SOLO in advance for that. ;)

If anyone has any questions in the meantime, do let me know and i will try to answer them.

@Basement good to hear the Argon team is still actively working on new firmware releases, that's always a good sign!

What’s the max audio resolution it is capable of receiving via Chromecast?

I believe 96Khz/24bit is the maximum resolution of any Chromecast implementation.

phion

I believe 96Khz/24bit is the maximum resolution of any Chromecast implementation.
Based on what I have read online I think that may not be strictly true. It appears that 96khz/24 is the limitation of Google’s implementation and what's stated in their documents. But there are vendors whose Chromecast Builtin can go beyond this and achieve 192/24. Two such examples are Naim NDX 2, and Technics SL-G700. For a source look at here:
Chromecast is a streaming protocol from Google, which, in contrast to Apple's Airplay, also supports high resolution: on most devices up to 24/96, on some, such as Naim or Technics, up to 24/192

I believe Nvidia Shield Pro also achieves 192/24. So it will be great to know if Argon Solo is in this elite minority group :)

litemotiv

Two such examples are Naim NDX 2, and Technics SL-G700.

I have been a Naim owner for 5-6 years and i can assure you that the NDX2 Chromecast implementation does not support 192Khz/24Bit but only 96Khz/24bit.

Edit: i'm sorry, it appears that technically it would be possible to stream 192Khz but it's highly discouraged by the Naim devs:

When using Chromecast the stream is bit perfect and native upto 192kHz/24bit. The downside of Chromecast + Qobuz is that it’s not really designed to run at such high sample rates. The buffer sizes are far too small (hence prone to drop outs) and the Chromecast stack is very inefficient so uses nearly all the CPU time in the streamer. Not only is this bad for unit response times, but not also great for sound quality as the electric noise floor of the product increases as everything works harder.

Last edited:

Basement

Hi,
I am curious about the Chromecast built in the Argon Solo. What’s the max audio resolution it is capable of receiving via Chromecast? In particular, if I play 192/24 on Qobuz and cast on Solo, will I read 192/24 on my DAC connected to it via SPDIF?

Does it support gapless playback via Chromecast? How about via DLNA?

Also can the Toslink output 192/24?
Roon 192/24
Chromecast 96/24
DLNA is not an official supported feature.
Digital out coax and optical supports up to 192/24. Eg. Roon is bit-perfect up to 192/24 when Volume is at 100.
OTA updates is pushed to all units when available. No user actions needed.

-Michael

MaximXXL

Feel free to ask if you have any tech related questions.
I want to use Solo as a network bridge, so the question is:
1. Is it possible to completely disconnect power from the internal DAC?
2. Is it possible to completely disconnect the power from the bluetooth module?
Thanks!

Basement

I want to use Solo as a network bridge, so the question is:
1. Is it possible to completely disconnect power from the internal DAC?
2. Is it possible to completely disconnect the power from the bluetooth module?
Bluetooth streaming profile is active only when paired. DAC can't be disabled, but power consumption is low. FYI. Mains power consumption for Solo streaming high-res is <2.5W.

Basement

For best performance in bridged mode, it is common to disable anything that can be disabled. Maybe this improvement will be implemented in the next firmware?
Digital output have separated power supply and clock lines. There's minimal benefit disabling the DAC. However a bigger concern is data related jitter modulating power lines because of current draw is related to the audio data. In SOLO we made a digital audio "phantom" signal 180 deg. out of phase to cancel out this noise. See attached. Also Coax is transformer couped to minimize common-mode noise causing jitter even when analog out is used in parallel.

Attachments

• spdif noise cancellation concept.png
    spdif noise cancellation concept.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 230

MaximXXL

Bluetooth streaming profile is active only when paired.
Is the device always ready to pair? If so, the bluetooth module is non-disconnectable (always emitting) - did I understand correctly?

Basement

Is the device always ready to pair? If so, the bluetooth module is non-disconnectable (always emitting) - did I understand correctly?
You have to manually bring the device in pairing mode by pressing the rear switch. Note that BT is part of the SoC and not a separate module. Normally if any RF problems it will show up in the analog signals. Attached FFT of the analog output in idle state but not muted and WiFi 2.4G running at x10 the transmit power of BT and on the same antenna as BT.

Attachments

• SOLO FFT Analog output  WIFI 2G4 active.JPG
    SOLO FFT Analog output WIFI 2G4 active.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 288

MaximXXL

There's minimal benefit disabling the DAC.
Is it possible to add the "network bridge" mode (power off the DAC) by updating the firmware? I will immediately order the unit if there is such a possibility and you promise that you will implement it in the next firmware update.

Top Bottom