• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arendal 1723 vs Revel Performa3 208

ronnzi

Ok just got back home from testing it but got a lot to do...but to summarize...I ain't moving from my c208 to the Arendal that's for sure.
More thoughts later
I should’ve replied to this one. Let us know your impressions!

GabrielPhoto

I should’ve replied to this one. Let us know your impressions!
Sorry someone asked me on AVS and I forgot to post them here...
So..my only issue with that audition is that it was NOT at my place where I had tested everything else. I did take my C208 with me but again not my setup. In any case the 1723 center is indeed very dynamic and have very good detail as well. It also plays deeper than my C208 although male vocals sounded a bit chesty (maybe because he was running them without plugs?) and less natural than on my C208.
My problems with it first was as expected the limited horizontal dispersion and also, that imaging seem to lack depth compared to the C208. For example, in Matrix lobby scene there was this extra layers of sounds effects coming from the C208 where with the 1723 center everything sounded a bit closer together. Same thing in Greatest showman during the singing scene on the roof, when Jackman and the lady are singing together, there is this nice space for each of their vocals created by the C208, almost a live like performance, vs the more muddled duet from the Arendal. This does NOT mean the Arendal sounds bad, but in direct comparison to the C208, the differences become pretty obvious. When it comes to my favorite, the "ventriloquist" effect, there was not contest..the C208 was clearly projecting much more convincingly even though not as good as what I am used to probably because reflections on the placement we had for the centers or because it was ran by the AVR not an external amp. Not sure.
We did not play super loud to see how the Arendal will compare when pushed hard though, it was like 10db under reference.
Anyways, I would feel more comfortable testing them at home but overall, I dont see a point for MY needs and what I look for in a center. YMMV of course so always remember, this is just for what I want from a center. :)

Bettersound59

Sorry someone asked me on AVS and I forgot to post them here...
So..my only issue with that audition is that it was NOT at my place where I had tested everything else. I did take my C208 with me but again not my setup. In any case the 1723 center is indeed very dynamic and have very good detail as well. It also plays deeper than my C208 although male vocals sounded a bit chesty (maybe because he was running them without plugs?) and less natural than on my C208.
My problems with it first was as expected the limited horizontal dispersion and also, that imaging seem to lack depth compared to the C208. For example, in Matrix lobby scene there was this extra layers of sounds effects coming from the C208 where with the 1723 center everything sounded a bit closer together. Same thing in Greatest showman during the singing scene on the roof, when Jackman and the lady are singing together, there is this nice space for each of their vocals created by the C208, almost a live like performance, vs the more muddled duet from the Arendal. This does NOT mean the Arendal sounds bad, but in direct comparison to the C208, the differences become pretty obvious. When it comes to my favorite, the "ventriloquist" effect, there was not contest..the C208 was clearly projecting much more convincingly even though not as good as what I am used to probably because reflections on the placement we had for the centers or because it was ran by the AVR not an external amp. Not sure.
We did not play super loud to see how the Arendal will compare when pushed hard though, it was like 10db under reference.
Anyways, I would feel more comfortable testing them at home but overall, I dont see a point for MY needs and what I look for in a center. YMMV of course so always remember, this is just for what I want from a center. :)
Yes, the 1723 center channel that I have has the plugs in place in the rear ports. The dispersion, I think is less than the C208. I found the 1723 center channel to broadcast a little bit better clear vocals. With that said, maybe there was a bit more depth with the C208 as you stated. In the end, I went with the 1723 in LCR setup because I preferred two channel with the 1723s and their sound signature compared to the Revel line and I also again found the center channel a little bit more clear. But again I cannot quibble with your perception of the two.

ronnzi

Yes, the 1723 center channel that I have has the plugs in place in the rear ports. The dispersion, I think is less than the C208. I found the 1723 center channel to broadcast a little bit better clear vocals. With that said, maybe there was a bit more depth with the C208 as you stated. In the end, I went with the 1723 in LCR setup because I preferred two channel with the 1723s and their sound signature compared to the Revel line and I also again found the center channel a little bit more clear. But again I cannot quibble with your perception of the two.
Sounds like they’re both pretty close… I’m still somewhat curious about the difference in dynamics between the two. I wonder if that leads to the better perceived clarity you’re stating, especially at higher volumes. *shrugs*

And I know they both have waveguides, but maybe the better imaging/depth of the c208 comes down to the 3-way design somehow and the better dispersion characteristics that might provide?

GabrielPhoto

Sounds like they’re both pretty close… I’m still somewhat curious about the difference in dynamics between the two. I wonder if that leads to the better perceived clarity you’re stating, especially at higher volumes. *shrugs*

And I know they both have waveguides, but maybe the better imaging/depth of the c208 comes down to the 3-way design somehow and the better dispersion characteristics that might provide?
I didn't feel they were that close but to each its own

ronnzi

I didn't feel they were that close but to each its own
I see, just sounded like it based on the descriptions. All that said, based on what I’m looking for in a center, I would likely be going with a c208. In a perfect world, I would also go with f208s for the L/R, but they might be too big for the space I’m working with in front of the room, so might have to do f206’s instead. I have dual 15 inch subs, so shouldn’t be that much of a concern, and I’d be correcting with Dirac anyways, just hope they’d match up as well. I guess I’ll just cross that path if/when I finally decide to go for it. :-D

GabrielPhoto

I see, just sounded like it based on the descriptions. All that said, based on what I’m looking for in a center, I would likely be going with a c208. In a perfect world, I would also go with f208s for the L/R, but they might be too big for the space I’m working with in front of the room, so might have to do f206’s instead. I have dual 15 inch subs, so shouldn’t be that much of a concern, and I’d be correcting with Dirac anyways, just hope they’d match up as well. I guess I’ll just cross that path if/when I finally decide to go for it. :-D
Yeah there is always something, isnt it? For me, I wish the revels were not glossy finish..I know the towers will drive me crazy. I can handle the center because I place a velvet fabric on top and really cannot see the sides reflecting the light :D

Bettersound59

I have a very challenging room with a lot of built-ins in bookshelves in cabinetry upfront. If I had an open clean front room that could accommodate 208 towers my choices may been different.

Top Bottom