• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

...are you stupid as hell or whut...

Hapo

...I just went to put an old favorite out of print CD in my new CD transport and it was not in it's case, because I sent it away in the Pioneer CD player I returned, along with the plug adapter for a set of headphones I am exchanging...

...at least I saw the CD for $100 on Amazon...Lol...

...there was no fire or even smoke invovled and evreything still works so I am sure some one can top this...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I used to travel with my CDs so would take them out of the jewel box and keep them in sleeves cases. Well, I lost one or two of those cases because I have a ton of empty boxes with no CDs in them. :( Fortunately with streaming service I can listen to them again but it always make me sad when I look at the empty cases.

mugbot

Forum Donor
I ripped the band-aid off a few years back during a move to a much smaller premises and gifted my CD collection to a secondhand local record store. I don't even have a CD player any more! Difficult to see myself going back, as with FLAC etc. there's no real reason to.
I do miss the artwork.

I once drove off with the Sopranos DVD box set on the roof of my car. It didn't survive the trip :(

OP
Hapo

Hapo

...I can match that, amirm...

..I lost a case off the top of the car one time...that was stupid as hell...

...the next time I was able to find it... (D'OH!)

OP
Hapo

Hapo

I ripped the band-aid off a few years back during a move to a much smaller premises and gifted my CD collection to a secondhand local record store. I don't even have a CD player any more! Difficult to see myself going back, as with FLAC etc. there's no real reason to.
I do miss the artwork.

...we used to speak aboot vinal like this...it is wierd to have watched a format develop and become obsolete...

...once my fish-wife knocked a stack of towers down the stairs with a hocky bag...all the electronics got shorted out...the stairs got smashed...

...that was pretty stupid...

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
I hate losing things... always remember it, especially music and movies.

When I purchased my current speakers I took some music on CD to test them out... left one behind in their CD player;

giphy.gif

JSmith

Reactions: TSB

EEE272

I sold my car for basically peanuts a long time ago (I got it used myself and it was already 20 years old by then). I forgot to take out the CD travel bag with around 30 albums.
Needless to say, the buyer did not give them back, even though the CDs were worth more than the price he paid for the car...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I've left CDs in players that I've had for review. Sometimes, I realize and ask for them back and, sometimes, that works. Other times, I just don't realize my mistake until I get the disc back from a friendly and considerate person.

Of course, these days, it is no longer an issue since I've not reviewed a physical transport in some years and everything I have is on my file server.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I am,

a few weeks ago we had a blackout. it was not a nromal blackout, but there were crazy oscilations. ran to my PC and unpluged everything. not sure why, but I even unpluged all the cables from my PC which are not power.
Next I "found out that the blackout had fried my TC Electronic Konnekt 24D" (more on that later).
I wasn't too sad since I wanted to upgrade anyways and all the buttons/pres were allready noisy (btw: I still have a very old M-Audio interface wich has clean pres up to today).
So I baught a (used) Moto Traveler Mk3. I was so happy when it arrived. Didn't work. What? only now I realized that what broke my Konnekt was me pluging the firewire cable inverted (It shouldn't be possible, but it is when the ins get worn)....AND that I destroyed the Moto the same way on the first plug. I wouldn't plug those cables without looking in the past, but all the USB cables I pluged over the years got me to the habbit of just plugging without checking...if it is wrong you just turn it around.
Later I baught a new firewire chip. I found a guy to solder it for me, and now the device is completly dead :facepalm:. It was still working as a standalone device without the Firewire. now it wont even turn on.
The saga continues as it could only be a small thing now. But I am a little hesitant as I could be loosing even more money trying to fix it.
I am stupid

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am,

a few weeks ago we had a blackout. it was not a nromal blackout, but there were crazy oscilations. ran to my PC and unpluged everything. not sure why, but I even unpluged all the cables from my PC which are not power.
Next I "found out that the blackout had fried my TC Electronic Konnekt 24D" (more on that later).
I wasn't too sad since I wanted to upgrade anyways and all the buttons/pres were allready noisy (btw: I still have a very old M-Audio interface wich has clean pres up to today).
So I baught a (used) Moto Traveler Mk3. I was so happy when it arrived. Didn't work. What? only now I realized that what broke my Konnekt was me pluging the firewire cable inverted (It shouldn't be possible, but it is when the ins get worn)....AND that I destroyed the Moto the same way on the first plug. I wouldn't plug those cables without looking in the past, but all the USB cables I pluged over the years got me to the habbit of just plugging without checking...if it is wrong you just turn it around.
Later I baught a new firewire chip. I found a guy to solder it for me, and now the device is completly dead :facepalm:. It was still working as a standalone device without the Firewire. now it wont even turn on.
The saga continues as it could only be a small thing now. But I am a little hesitant as I could be loosing even more money trying to fix it.
I am stupid
Sorry to hear about your gear getting zapped. At this point without a service manual and Oscope to troubleshoot the bad boys I would back off on the repair stuff. Otherwise if you can do something with it for cheap it makes for a good project. Blackouts and brownouts can cause some nasty damage. Even a arc welder grounded outside the house causing some sort of loop can cause damage in the house. I've seen all three occur.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

I am,

I am stupid
...you are most certainly in the lead here so far...!!!...LoL...!!!...

JaccoW

...I just went to put an old favorite out of print CD in my new CD transport and it was not in it's case, because I sent it away in the Pioneer CD player I returned, along with the plug adapter for a set of headphones I am exchanging...

...there was no fire or even smoke invovled and evreything still works so I am sure some one can top this...
I picked up a Maratz CD-player last month in person. When I came home I heard something rattling inside. Still a CD in there. Sent it back to the guy over the post.

Apparently it is quite common. You're not the only one. ;)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Replacing a washbasin in the bathroom. First job is to remove the waste trap. I disconnect it from the sink and the waste pipe and carefully empty the water out of the trap into a bowl.

I then instantly empty the bowl into the sink from which I have just disconnected the trap. :facepalm:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My sister was in car accident and whole CD collection was under her seat. When she realized what happened she went to the storage yard where they had her car they told her it was toed away. On the way home she noticed that her crashed car was on the back of a moving car carrier and she waved the the guy down and got them all back.

killdozzer

Major Contributor

Happened to me. I sold a DVD player with a DVD inside. Worst of all, it was a present I gave my lady. I kept it inside to showcase the player and how well it plays to people who come for a presentation. Then a guy contacted me through ads and I sent it. :facepalm:

I had to be very nice and patient when asking it back. I offered to pay for everything - packaging, shipping (even for a coffee for the guy), but he was very kind and sent it, he didn't ask for anything.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

...I just found a whole bunch of CDs in an old Acom CD player I had in storage...I mean IN it, not the tray...

...I got it sorted physically but the deck won't play...

...I have had my Adcom components in storage for so long they have become "vintage"...that was stupid...

...so was storing my speakers...they have become battered and mildewed...that was really stupid...

Dismayed

Hey, I have my wife to remind me that I’m stupid. No need for you to pile on, too!

egellings

Major Contributor
Replacing a washbasin in the bathroom. First job is to remove the waste trap. I disconnect it from the sink and the waste pipe and carefully empty the water out of the trap into a bowl.

I then instantly empty the bowl into the sink from which I have just disconnected the trap. :facepalm:
Darn brain farts!

Top Bottom