• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are subwoofers pretty much the same?

Erici

Forum Donor

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I'm just saying...with the pandemic it's good to take care of business in the community.
That's all.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
That's what i'm curious about, the point of diminishing returns. I know Rhythmik makes great subs but they do seem to be at a premium compared to the other ID brands.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what i'm curious about, the point of diminishing returns. I know Rhythmik makes great subs but they do seem to be at a premium compared to the other ID brands.

Depends how big your room is but the point of diminishing returns for most average sized rooms should be between 2 and 4 15” or 18” rythmiks

timg

Data-Bass is awesome.

JTR and Rythmik make very good pre-packaged subwoofers in compact sizes.

Most people who want really good bass go DIY, lose their heads a bit, and wind up with multiple 18's, 21's, 24's, or even 32's. These are normally passive and powered by rack amps. The FP20k and FP14k clone amps from China are popular because they're insanely powerful for the money and most are very reliable (the OEM matters). There are some very good Chinese subwoofers (SAB 32), but infinitely more which are garbage.

I went with 6x Peerless STW-350 15" subwoofers. Each will be in a small 2 cubic foot sealed box directly behind the front row of my theater. These are driven by a single XBS FP20k on a dedicated 30 amp 240 volt circuit. I left room in the front behind the screen for 24's if necessary, but these 6x 15's near field model better than 2x 24's 3 meters away.

Tim

theory

But also depends on how much bass will satisfy you as well. Most would probably go with 2-4 12” or 15” and would be reasonably satisfied. I would think for larger rooms/spaces you’re looking for subs with a bit more power but a lot of it has to do with your room the subs will be in.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dual subs properly placed offer substantial benefits over a single sub, and certainly much higher fidelity and sound quality than not having subs. Integration is actually quite easy....just use any Denon X3 series or higher AVR. Sonically transparent SINAD, wether using internal amps or pre-outs, excellent dual subwoofer setup and eq, and very good speaker eq that can be limited to below Schroeder.

If you don't have a Denon AVR with Audysey and Sub Eq HT, and don't want the improved sound quality built in with these features, a miniDSP HD 2x4 along with a $100 Umik-1 microphone and a free download of REW will do the tricks for subs.

Overseas makes thing a little tougher with choices, but SVS is probably a good option for many overseas customers due to their distribution. I would prefer Rythmik, SVS, or Hsu if in the US.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in the market for subwoofer. The price difference of some of them is vast and spec wise seems similar.

My question is, are they pretty much the same? What makes a subwoofer "good"?
What are your main speakers? Is this for music only or also movies?

OP
momo7G

momo7G

Wow, heaps of useful info. Thanks for everyone's input.

I am using Topping MX3 to push pioneer sp bs22. Cheapo setup.

Last week before the lockdown, I got a chance to listen to my friend's 5.1 setup with a Jamo speakers system. He then play something I familiar with sub on and off. The low frequency kick from a sub is very addicting.

That's makes me want to look at some subs then...

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, heaps of useful info. Thanks for everyone's input.

I am using Topping MX3 to push pioneer sp bs22. Cheapo setup.

Last week before the lockdown, I got a chance to listen to my friend's 5.1 setup with a Jamo speakers system. He then play something I familiar with sub on and off. The low frequency kick from a sub is very addicting.

That's makes me want to look at some subs then...
With those speakers I’d recommend a pair of rythmik L12s as a starting point . Did a little reading on your amp and although there is a output labeled SW, there is no bass management . To do this right you would need to upgrade your amp ,perhaps to a receiver or at least a Sonos amp.

shellback

Audio Company
I've owned Epik (no longer in business) and SVS prior to my JTR.

The JTR far surpasses the others in sound quality and output.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've owned Epik (no longer in business) and SVS prior to my JTR.

The JTR far surpasses the others in sound quality and output.
The OP is using $130/pair speakers with a $140 amp, I think entry level rhythmik , SVS, or HSU are already a stretch.

Last edited:

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
Yes, in generall, all subwoofers are the same. Just boxes with mostly circular moving pistons connected to amp. The main differences are the piston size (driver diameter) the ability to move the piston as far as possible and back ( Xmax-max. excursion) and to maintain that it stays under perfect controll (distortion).

shellback

Audio Company
The OP is using $130/pair speakers with a $140 amp, I think entry level rhythmik , SVS, or HSU are already a stretch.
Gotcha. ;)

OP
momo7G

momo7G

It looks like I am up for a major upgrade if I put the sub in the mix:eek:

Newman

Major Contributor
I am in the market for subwoofer. The price difference of some of them is vast and spec wise seems similar.

My question is, are they pretty much the same? What makes a subwoofer "good"?
IMHO two things:
  • sufficient output at low enough frequencies
  • DSP equalization
I know 'sufficient' is in the ear of the beholder, but what I mean is that you see a lot of subs around AU$500-800 that are 6" to 8" drivers and only go down into the 30's Hz. At that level it barely qualifies as a subwoofer at all. A good example of entry level 'real' subs is the SVS 1000 range. Start looking around there.

I also suggest a sub with DSP, so it can equalize out the bumpy room response. The Elac Debut S12EQ is a good example at around AU$1300, and simple to equalize using Elac's app on your phone (and the phone's microphone, which may not be great, but it's a good start). In theory, a receiver with good subwoofer EQ makes it unnecessary to have EQ built into the sub, but not all receivers are great at that.

cheers

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
With the rest of your gear, adding a subwoofer should probably come after upgrading the rest. As for subwoofers, what makes a good buy depends heavily on the country you are in. In the USA, dual SVS SB1000 would be a good idea, but they are relatively more expensive in Europe. On the other hand, here we have the BK gemini ii as the probably best buy for a good entry level sub. It is cheaper and less powerful than the SB1000, but European rooms are typically quite a bit smaller than those in the US.
Sound quality with subs depends heavily if not primarily on proper room integration. The best results come from having two subs combined with dsp room eq. For the latter, I have been very pleased with the DSpeaker Antimode 8033.

Top Bottom