• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music vs Tidal

telemike

Sorry I don't understand half of this post. Ad blockers?

You should be using an Iphone with Apple Music > AirPlay2 streamer (RPI or AirPort Express or one of several AirPlay streamers).

I do, but I can't play Apple Music via Airplay and watch a YouTube video on my iPhone at the SAME time. The YouTube video's audio will interrupt my music.

With Spotify Connect, I can listen to music and watch video at same time. Music on stereo, audio from YouTube on phone

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay I think I'm starting to understand your issues. Turn off notifications on the Apple device you're using to play Apple Music. Then other programs won't but in.

drmevo

There is no way to block other audio sources to be transferred via AirPlay on the current iOS or iPadOS. This is why I use Spotify and Apple Music. The former when I'm not critically listening music (when I only concentrate on music) and I want the Apple Music quality. Other times I use Spotify.
Fair enough, that makes sense given the current limitations.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess I never thought I’d be listening to music and watching a YouTube video at the same time. Tapping the sound off on YouTube should solve that problem. Yes??

telemike

My point is that I want be able to multi-task with my phone while streaming music and not have any other phone activity interrupt the music stream. That's why I reluctantly have to cancel Apple Music.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My point is that I want be able to multi-task with my phone while streaming music and not have any other phone activity interrupt the music stream. That's why I reluctantly have to cancel Apple Music.
I get that. I have an iPad dedicated to music either by cable or Airplay.

drmevo

I’ve seen the threads, and frankly they’re a bit baffling. We have a half dozen Apple devices used by multiple people and this is a non-issue in our household. With a little device hygiene this is easily solvable.
I’ll give you an example that just occurred. I was using AirPlay, then searched “non-fill” in Safari using Google. As I scroll through the results, there is a YouTube video entitled “When vinyl records become a pain….” As soon as I scroll to that result, my music stops and the video preview takes over AirPlay (with no sound, since it’s just a low-res video-only preview). Note that I never tapped the video, or anything like that. I’d be really curious if you’re able to repeat that test and see if it stops your AirPlay stream.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I’ll give you an example that just occurred. I was using AirPlay, then searched “non-fill” in Safari using Google. As I scroll through the results, there is a YouTube video entitled “When vinyl records become a pain….” As soon as I scroll to that result, my music stops and the video preview takes over AirPlay (with no sound, since it’s just a low-res video-only preview). Note that I never tapped the video, or anything like that. I’d be really curious if you’re able to repeat that test and see if it stops your AirPlay stream.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just checked my setting and auto play was off. That would be why it wasn’t an issue for me.

drmevo

Thank you but I have done all that. The link actually misses one - Settings>Accessibility>Per App Settings> Add Safari, then select it and at the very bottom is Auto-Play Video Previews (mine is off). Despite all that, I still get the issue I posted about in post #168. I wonder if you wouldn't mind giving my steps in that post a quick try to see if you observe the same thing?

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thank you but I have done all that. The link actually misses one - Settings>Accessibility>Per App Settings> Add Safari, then select it and at the very bottom is Auto-Play Video Previews (mine is off). Despite all that, I still get the issue I posted about in post #168. I wonder if you wouldn't mind giving my steps in that post a quick try to see if you observe the same thing?
I just tried it and Airplay kept playing, no problem. Which OS and browser are you using?

drmevo

I just tried it and Airplay kept playing, no problem. Which OS and browser are you using?
Thanks for checking. I really wonder what could be different. I'm on iOS 15.3.1 and using Safari. As soon as I scroll down to that video search result, it starts playing a low-res/low-framerate preview.

Actually, this might be the reason - I'm using an AppleTV Gen3 for AirPlay. Maybe since there is no sound it's not taking over your AirPlay target device?

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thanks for checking. I really wonder what could be different. I'm on iOS 15.3.1 and using Safari. As soon as I scroll down to that video search result, it starts playing a low-res/low-framerate preview.

Actually, this might be the reason - I'm using an AppleTV Gen3 for AirPlay. Maybe since there is no sound it's not taking over your AirPlay target device?
That may be it. I tried streaming to a stereo pair of Sonos Fives and a Raspberry Pi running Ropieee, no problem on either. But again, at least on my setups, it doesn’t matter what content I scroll over, as long as I don’t click directly on a video, the music keeps streaming.

Follower

There is a solution for Telemike's problem, but it is expensive. So having said that (acknowledging that it may be considered expensive), my system is a Mac mini running macOS's Music app as a dedicated streamer. You can control the playback with a single iOS app, Remote (formerly known as iTunes Remote). Nothing else you do on your phone will thus affect the music or start sending alternate sources over AirPlay, since the Mac mini will be the one streaming, and doing nothing else.

Final note: This system, even with a used Mac mini, may be expensive.

Liya

There is a solution for Telemike's problem, but it is expensive. So having said that (acknowledging that it may be considered expensive), my system is a Mac mini running macOS's Music app as a dedicated streamer. You can control the playback with a single iOS app, Remote (formerly known as iTunes Remote). Nothing else you do on your phone will thus affect the music or start sending alternate sources over AirPlay, since the Mac mini will be the one streaming, and doing nothing else.

Final note: This system, even with a used Mac mini, may be expensive.
Are you using this set up to stream Apple Music?

drmevo

That may be it. I tried streaming to a stereo pair of Sonos Fives and a Raspberry Pi running Ropieee, no problem on either. But again, at least on my setups, it doesn’t matter what content I scroll over, as long as I don’t click directly on a video, the music keeps streaming.
OK, confirmed, I think. I have a Yamaha receiver that is AirPlay2 capable, but it only allows audio streaming, not video. I don't have the same issue with that one. So, it would seem that this isn't as much of an issue with audio-only AirPlay.

I think Apple also recently changed or fixed an auto-play "feature" where embedded video in Safari would play no matter what, for example embedded YouTube videos in a forum posting. I haven't seen that recently so maybe that has gotten better too. This forum posting seems to confirm : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/youtube-auto-play-in-ios15-by-default.2314693/page-2

Zensō

Major Contributor
OK, confirmed, I think. I have a Yamaha receiver that is AirPlay2 capable, but it only allows audio streaming, not video. I don't have the same issue with that one. So, it would seem that this isn't as much of an issue with audio-only AirPlay.

I think Apple also recently changed or fixed an auto-play "feature" where embedded video in Safari would play no matter what, for example embedded YouTube videos in a forum posting. I haven't seen that recently so maybe that has gotten better too. This forum posting seems to confirm : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/youtube-auto-play-in-ios15-by-default.2314693/page-2
I pretty much never stream from a device to my Apple TV, only use the phone as a remote, which would explain why I don’t have this issue. Can’t you use the Apple Music app on the ATV instead of streaming Apple Music to it via Airplay?

drmevo

I pretty much never stream from a device to my Apple TV, only use the phone as a remote, which would explain why I don’t have this issue. Can’t you use the Apple Music app on the ATV instead of streaming Apple Music to it via Airplay?
It’s a Gen 3 AppleTV (last version with optical output), it doesn’t seem to connect to Apple Music.

Top Bottom