• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music lossless via Airplay on RopieeeXL?

PGAMiami

I’ve seen just about every possible answer on what Apple Music passes on via Airplay … does anyone have a definitive answer to this questions? I have a leftover Raspberry Pi4 with RopieeeXl and a Toppings D10s, and I’m hoping to pass it on to my son, who’s currently using a Bluesound Node. He only uses his phone to stream Apple Music Lossless via AirPlay. Is this 16/44, 24/44 or ACC256 converter to 16/44 on the Node? Any difference with RopieeXL?

Zensō

Major Contributor
Here's the most comprehensive test I've seen on the question of what Airplay is doing in different scenarios. It's still somewhat confusing but you might get at least a bit closer to your answers:

Ropiee XL uses an open source version of Airplay called Shairport Sync. Within Ropieee it behaves the same as Airplay 1.

As for what the Node is doing, that's probably a question for Bluesound.

You're unlikely to hear any difference between the above resolutions - even 256 AAC is indistinguishable from higher rates in normal listening. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about it either way.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The answer is simply that Airplay only supports 16/44. Hardware won’t change that fact.

Zensō

Major Contributor
The answer is simply that Airplay only supports 16/44. Hardware won’t change that fact.
I believe there are exceptions when using Apple hardware. It's been reported that Airplay can stream up to 24/48 to a HomePod (or a stereo pair of HomePods).

Not that I'd hear a difference... :)

OP
P

PGAMiami

I believe there are exceptions when using Apple hardware. It's been reported that Airplay can stream up to 24/48 to a HomePod (or a stereo pair of HomePods).

Not that I'd hear a difference... :)
So the answer is it varies and you can’t hear the difference

Zensō

Major Contributor
So the answer is it varies and you can’t hear the difference
In a nutshell, yes. Worrying about audio bitrates is commonplace in the audiophile hobby, but there are numerous well-conducted blind tests that show it's much ado about nothing. 16/44.1 is certainly more than enough, and it's well documented that a very high percentage of people can't discern 256 AAC from higher bitrates, particularly if we're talking about simply listening to music (as opposed to zeroing in at very high volumes to reverb tails, jingling keys, and other such pointless exercises).

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The answer to this is no. Apple TV 4k via HDMI via TV optical out will give 24/48. Of course a cable will deliver 24/192.

Zensō

Major Contributor
The answer to this is no. Apple TV 4k via HDMI via TV optical out will give 24/48. Of course a cable will deliver 24/192.
Can you provide a source? There are others who don’t agree with you. I haven’t done any testing myself since I don’t really care, but you’ve piqued my curiosity.

Edit: You’re right. This article clears it up, but it may also be the source of the confusion:

Last edited:
OP
P

PGAMiami

Btw, my question was not whether I could hear the difference or whether an Apple TV would be a better option. And I’ve been a fan of Chris at AudiophileStyle for years and had seen his article. It mostly caused more confusion. I simply wanted to know whether Airplay from an iPhone via a RopieeeXL would pass 16/44, 24/44 or AAC 256 converted to 16/44.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw, my question was not whether I could hear the difference or whether an Apple TV would be a better option. And I’ve been a fan of Chris at AudiophileStyle for years and had seen his article. It mostly caused more confusion. I simply wanted to know whether Airplay from an iPhone via a RopieeeXL would pass 16/44, 24/44 or AAC 256 converted to 16/44.
16/44

OP
P

PGAMiami

Thanks. That’s what my D10s shows. How certain are you it didn’t convert to AAC 256 and back to 16/44?

Anyone that’s listened to a Keith Johnson CD will attest that 16/44 is plenty good. I do believe that for recording having an extra 4 or 8 bits is very helpful as the recording engineer simply does not know how loud things will get. But once you’re in the mastering stage, you know exactly how loud the music will be and can then use the 16 bits to their full advantage.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Ah, OK, sorry about that. Most people asking that question believe they can hear the differences between these bitrates.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. That’s what my D10s shows. How certain are you it didn’t convert to AAC 256 and back to 16/44?
Absolutely. But I’m just a guy on the internet.

My understanding of Airplay comes from my son who is a Apple genius retired. I’m pretty sure he knows what he’s talking about. Is there room for error? Maybe.

OP
P

PGAMiami

Absolutely. But I’m just a guy on the internet.

My understanding of Airplay comes from my son who is an Apple genius retired. I’m pretty sure he knows what he’s talking about. Is there room for error? Maybe.
Thanks

Top Bottom