• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Then you don't understand how it works.
No, it doesn’t feel like it’s working. I don’t have to understand how it works to experience the intended effect of a multichannel system/spatial audio/Dolby Atmos. This is an opinion, not a rant. I appreciate these efforts, but for me personally, it doesn’t work. I prefer cleverly soft-panned stereo, since its spatial cues (or lack thereof, don’t really know much about multichannel audio) seem more realistic while keeping a FR that I like.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
And yet, you can play Atmos files without an AVR, a licensed decoder (well Apple paid it for you) or new speakers just fine in Apple Music... The magic of Apple I guess :facepalm:
No magic. It's downmixed into a lossy stereo version, with a bit of phasiness, so it sounds "spacious."

I imagine it's at least interesting for movies, as it should bring height into the sound field.

But for music, stereo seems to be the setup of choice.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No magic. It's downmixed into a lossy stereo version, with a bit of phasiness, so it sounds "spacious."

It's always lossy, and you can't call it really "downmixed", It's rather rendered to target the amount and location of speakers you have in your system. Nothing wrong with that perse, even if you only have 2 speakers.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
No, it doesn’t feel like it’s working. I don’t have to understand how it works to experience the intended effect of a multichannel system/spatial audio/Dolby Atmos. This is an opinion, not a rant. I appreciate these efforts, but for me personally, it doesn’t work. I prefer cleverly soft-panned stereo, since its spatial cues (or lack thereof, don’t really know much about multichannel audio) seem more realistic while keeping a FR that I like.
Brother you need to get a life,music should bring you joy all I hear is complaining,make your own music that way you'll be happy.

Zensō

Major Contributor
So far (this is still very early on), I’m finding the effect variable from one album to the next. Some sound noticeably better in Atmos, and some sound noticeably meh. In general, older recordings that were hard panned in the original mix seem to benefit quite a lot. This is listening with the AirPod Max.

The other thing to consider is that Atmos tracks in general seem to be much quieter than stereo. Be sure to adjust the volume when doing comparisons.

leonidas

So far (this is still very early on), I’m finding the effect variable from one album to the next. Some sound noticeably better in Atmos, and some sound noticeably meh. In general, older recordings that were hard panned in the original mix seem to benefit quite a lot. This is listening with the AirPod Max.

The other thing to consider is that Atmos tracks in general seem to be much quieter than stereo. Be sure to adjust the volume when doing comparisons.

Yes, I also think some tracks sound really interesting but at the same time Spatial Audio seems to lower „energy“ in some frequencies. The song sounds definitely wider and more „spacious“ but also „flatter“ (for lack lack of better words). But yeah, still interesting.

I wish it also worked with higher quality IEMs/headphones than the AirPods…

Tried only a couple of tracks today and I found one that sounds absolutely terrible with Spatial feature: Blink182 - What’s my age again? The stereo version is much much better.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I suggest that you listen to songs that were soundtracks of movies that were mixed in Dolby Atmos from the ground up.

sofakng

I apologize if this was already asked (I searched the past 5-8 pages and couldn't find it).

How can I connect my iPhone 11 Pro Max to my external dac (Monoprice Liquid Spark DAC) to play the new streaming lossless files?

I'm already using the DAC's USB input to connect my PC so I'm hoping to use the other optical/coax inputs maybe?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I apologize if this was already asked (I searched the past 5-8 pages and couldn't find it).

How can I connect my iPhone 11 Pro Max to my external dac (Monoprice Liquid Spark DAC) to play the new streaming lossless files?

I'm already using the DAC's USB input to connect my PC so I'm hoping to use the other optical/coax inputs maybe?

the only method i know of is this

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

or the USB type C alternative.

but a TOSLINK or coax interface might be a bit tricky.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I’ve been listening to Reprise by Moby on Apple Music using iPad Pro & airpods max whilst switching from atmos/spatial audio to stereo and find I’m a tad underwhelmed by the atmos experience, vocals seem recessed and lack drive despite attempting to volume match (atmos needs volume knocked up a bit compared to stereo). Very noticeable vocal difference on tracks such as “why does my heart feel so bad” & ”the lonely night” which sound vastly superior in normal stereo mode and I’ve come to the conclusion the entire album just sounds far more engaging to listen to in stereo. Not sure exactly what I’m missing with the atmos experience but it’s certainly not a game changer as talked about ; in listening experience for myself, it’s merely a bit of a novelty that I’m happy to live without.

Not that impressed with the Apple Music experience/interface either so once my 4month trial is up I’ll probably stay with roon/tidal as the user interface is so much better in use and I don’t mind paying extra for the convenience.

Im quite surprised as I thought it would bring about a noticeable improvement on soundstage but nah…….I’m perfectly happy to stay with old fashioned stereo for the time being, perhaps it will improve over time.

In order of preferences I’ll choose to stick with stereo through my krk setup as that pisses all over stereo through airpods max and certainly pisses all over atmos through airpods max.

leonidas

the only method i know of is this

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

or the USB type C alternative.

but a TOSLINK or coax interface might be a bit tricky.

This works absolutely well. But if you are looking for a nicer and smaller variant where the cable doesn’t go straight out of the phone, the DDHifi TC28i is a great solution. I am using this and have never looked back to the Apple CCK.

Link to a review: Headphonia

BinkieHuckerback

On the Apple Music app on Windows 10 - I can't see any way to look at streaming quality settings...am I missing something?

cochlea

Forum Donor
if by Lightning to USB A you mean a regular cable and not an adapter like i linked then no.
The Topping D50s has a USB B input. So, if I use the adapter in your link, and then a USB A to USB B adapter, this should work?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I don't really watch this guy, but youtube keeps recommending his videos based on my interests...

"We need to talk about APPLE MUSIC & hi-res audio"
Posted 3 hours ago, by Darko:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We need someone with an Okto research multichannel DAC to check whether Atmos will be decoded to multiple channels from an iPhone / iPad.

Top Bottom