• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Ipod Touch 2019

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple just recently refreshed the iPod Touch. Wondering if anyone can measure its output impedance compared to the current iPod Touch 6 that I have (1.7 ohms) which is the sweetspot OI for CA Andromeda IEM to my ears.

OP
majingotan

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No published data about its OI, but got one nonetheless and as always, it sounds as just as good as those overpriced DAPs that measures probably worse than this little gem.

48207597427_b5b358eb34_b_d.jpg

tential

No published data about its OI, but got one nonetheless and as always, it sounds as just as good as those overpriced DAPs that measures probably worse than this little gem.

48207597427_b5b358eb34_b_d.jpg
If airplay is truly lossless (I don't know, hope we test it one day!) then it's a great transport as well that can play music and if you want to hook a "high end" dap. To it, you can wirelessly do so. That's a huge bonus to me. If I don't get flacs (not sure why iTunes doesn't just support it....) then that's something I'd consider doing. Or even moving to Apple phone for.

OP
majingotan

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think you would need an iPod Touch for that purpose though so you can buy the cheaper iPhone SE for that. To me, iPod Touch 7G's sound quality is equivalent to high end DAPs on the likes of AK Kann Cube I've demoed when used with very efficient IEM like the Campfire Audio Andromeda. However, some IEMs such as the Jomo Audio Flamenco or 64 Audio U18T I've demoed benefit from the extra power those high end DAPs provide as they sound slightly fuller than the iPod Touch

Degru

Family member bought one of these and I got to set it up/play around with it a bit. Can confirm, it sounds really good, runs really fast and smooth, and the form factor is *amazing*. Great battery life too. Funnily enough it's still the thinnest iOS device, and it still has the headphone jack :)

The only deal-breaker to me is that there's no built in way to browse music by folder structure, which I have to do because I don't like to be constrained to organization by metadata tags due to library size/variety. I dunno, maybe there's a third party player I can install for that?

Also, one under-appreciated thing about iOS is the audio stack. It's a lot better than Android, and is able to switch sample rates dynamically and avoid resampling, as well as control hardware volume of USB audio devices. Combined with (naturally) great support from all the streaming apps, I would actually quite strongly consider an iPhone for my next phone since I listen from Spotify most of the time. Shame they are so expensive and dropped headphone jack though. Keeping my M0 for the local library either way.

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor

tential

"The AirTunes part of the AirPlay protocol stack uses UDP for streaming audio and is based on the RTSP network control protocol.[22] The streams are transcoded using the Apple Lossless codec with 44100 Hz and 2 channels symmetrically encrypted with AES, requiring the receiver to have access to the appropriate key to decrypt the streams."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPlay
Thanks for taking the time to find this for me however, I'm not smart enough to understand if that's truly lossless or just them saying it? It sounds like it is, but I'm certainly not well versed in this.
Do I need to make sure then it's using air tunes?

Degru

Thanks for taking the time to find this for me however, I'm not smart enough to understand if that's truly lossless or just them saying it? It sounds like it is, but I'm certainly not well versed in this.
Do I need to make sure then it's using air tunes?
No, that is just the standard way it transmits audio. ALAC codec is indeed lossless.

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Degru: "Neutron" will do the Job.
Plays wav and flac and uses the folder
structure. But you will probably need ifunbox for copying the folders to Neutron.

Degru

@Degru: "Neutron" will do the Job.
Plays wav and flac and uses the folder
structure. But you will probably need ifunbox for copying the folders to Neutron.
Ah, I use Neutron on my Android, actually. How is it on iOS? I've always wondered how it behaves there, especially the more technical audio hardware related side of it. Is transferring music folders to it relatively easy and reliable?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
If airplay is truly lossless (I don't know, hope we test it one day!) then it's a great transport as well that can play music and if you want to hook a "high end" dap. To it, you can wirelessly do so. That's a huge bonus to me. If I don't get flacs (not sure why iTunes doesn't just support it....) then that's something I'd consider doing. Or even moving to Apple phone for.
I was disappointed when Apple came up with their own lossless format instead of adopting FLAC but it turns out not to be an issue as it's trivial to convert FLAC to ALAC. On a Mac you can use XLD and I'm sure there are equivalents on Windows and Linux.

samshaver

Just to throw it out there, VOX is a FREE alternative (or you can check it out here if not on an iOS device). I can’t really comment on how it handles folders, as I only have a 16Gb phone at this point in time, so I don’t use folders. But, I can tell you that, though I’m sure playback on the device itself is hardware limited, using an external DAC via the camera connection kit (CCK) it will play essentially any file in its native form. I have tried this all the way up to 24-bit 192KHz sampling FLAC files, and it works flawlessly.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Family member bought one of these and I got to set it up/play around with it a bit. Can confirm, it sounds really good, runs really fast and smooth, and the form factor is *amazing*. Great battery life too. Funnily enough it's still the thinnest iOS device, and it still has the headphone jack :)

The only deal-breaker to me is that there's no built in way to browse music by folder structure, which I have to do because I don't like to be constrained to organization by metadata tags due to library size/variety. I dunno, maybe there's a third party player I can install for that?

Also, one under-appreciated thing about iOS is the audio stack. It's a lot better than Android, and is able to switch sample rates dynamically and avoid resampling, as well as control hardware volume of USB audio devices. Combined with (naturally) great support from all the streaming apps, I would actually quite strongly consider an iPhone for my next phone since I listen from Spotify most of the time. Shame they are so expensive and dropped headphone jack though. Keeping my M0 for the local library either way.
Buy used. I've just ordered a pristine used iPhone 7 with 256 GB for less than ½ the new price. The lack of a headphone socket is annoying but the adapter has excellent performance and I use BlueTooth IEMs when I'm out anyway.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

The foobar2000 app has a folder option, separate from the main Music library. It includes an FTP server so I assume you can populate the folder using that, as well as the usual way with iTunes. This app also allows you to play music directly from any UPnP/DLNA server on the network, which is really nice.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
The foobar2000 app has a folder option, separate from the main Music library. It includes an FTP server so I assume you can populate the folder using that, as well as the usual way with iTunes. This app also allows you to play music directly from any UPnP/DLNA server on the network, which is really nice.
Just tried FTP. Yes, you can copy folders/files to the foobar2000 folder that way.

Fregly

How is the headphone out on this. I used to have an older Touch and could not get adequate volume. I like unsafe levels once in a while.

Top Bottom