• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Dude just get yourself a second hand Apple TV, form the 2nd generation they support AirPlay and they had optical output, for the past decade they then have HDMI so just get a HDMI> SPDIF extractor/converter and hook it to your existing system.

If you don’t want to be tied to AirPlay, another option is this- what I got:

FiiO BTA 30 Pro

BT in/out- so I can listen to movies at night with headphones, or my spouse can play music via AAC from her phone through my gigantic beer-fridge sized sound system.
I can use AirPlay on Volumio running on an RPi, which feeds a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital into our main system, or on a Denon CEOL Piccolo in our upstairs setup. Our Roku Streaming Stick also supports AirPlay, so IMO there's no excuse for any streamer not to have it these days.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I can use AirPlay on Volumio running on an RPi, which feeds a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital into our main system, or on a Denon CEOL Piccolo in our upstairs setup. Our Roku Streaming Stick also supports AirPlay, so IMO there's no excuse for any streamer not to have it these days.
Yes, they should have a digital volumecontrol, even If it only have digital outputs.

noel_fs

knob looks mediocre quality, everything else seems fine, so nice to see usb-c

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When I was shopping for a DAC a few years ago, I tried Topping (E30) and SMSL (M300) before settling on Gustard (X16). The former two both made a horrible white noise when I switched from Roon to another player (at the time, I think I had Amazon Music) and the Gustard didn't do it. I assumed the two had handshake troubles. Either that or it was something I was doing wrong or maybe it was my Mac.

tktran303

Forum Donor

Open source projects have reverse engineered Airplay for awhile now, like XBMC, or Volumio etc.

But you had to build your RPi right?

And AirPlay 2, OTOH is pretty new, (2018) to be honest. Roku only started supporting it in 2020 IIRC.

But where’s the standalone DAC/headphone/pre- amp that has it. I mean, apart from their USB/coax/toslink inputs, where’s the wireless digital inputs?

I agree it with you they should be out there, but where are they all?

I’m not talking about the mainstream AV receivers like amps “Bose, Yamaha, Philips, Marantz, Onkyo, Bowers & Wilkins, Pioneer, Sony, Sonos, McIntosh, Denon, and Bang & Olufsen” (according to Wikipedia)

Vict0r

Ubuy India has it listed for 287,57 Euro, when converted.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Open source projects have reverse engineered Airplay for awhile now, like XBMC, or Volumio etc.

But you had to build your RPi right?

And AirPlay 2, OTOH is pretty new, (2018) to be honest. Roku only started supporting it in 2020 IIRC.

But where’s the standalone DAC/headphone/pre- amp that has it. I mean, apart from their USB/coax/toslink inputs, where’s the wireless digital inputs?

I agree it with you they should be out there, but where are they all?

I’m not talking about the mainstream AV receivers like amps “Bose, Yamaha, Philips, Marantz, Onkyo, Bowers & Wilkins, Pioneer, Sony, Sonos, McIntosh, Denon, and Bang & Olufsen” (according to Wikipedia)
Yes, but it's not hard to build an RPi streamer. No soldering, and choose case to taste. You can also add a DAC such as a HifiBerry or Allo, but I think you still don't get an HP amp.

I agree, what you describe is oddly rare. There's the Okto <https://www.oktoresearch.com> but it's pricey (and uses an RPi for the streaming function :) but I'm not sure if it supports AirPlay). Maybe the market isn't what we think it should be? That most use DACs or DAC-amps directly connected to a Mac/PC and not streaming from a Mac, PC, or NAS? Streaming seems so obvious to me!

D

Deleted member 50971

Thank you for the review Amir it’s appreciated.

I think at this point most of the Chinese manufacturers have perfected the $150-$1000 DAC, and there’s really no need for any more products in my opinion.

They’ve changed the industry, and caused audio manufacturer's from around the world to not rest on their laurels anymore, and actually start manufacturing gear that measures well. Of course everyone cannot be lumped into that category, and have always made decent measuring gear.

I know this is a stretch, but I would love to see one of them jump into the AVR/AVP side of audio. I know the licensing is probably the biggest hurdle, and other ones have tried and failed in the last 10 years IMO. Competition, especially competent competition can only further the home theater industry.

Edit;

When I say other ones have tried to jump into the home theater business and failed, what I mean is some of them have failed to make a stable AVR/AVP. Even the long reach of JBL didn’t save them from producing a buggy, and mediocre performing AVR/AVP.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I think at this point most of the Chinese manufacturers have perfected the $150-$1000 DAC, and there’s really no need for any more products in my opinion.
I don't think so.

I expect they will soon be adding computers inside (like more expensive Matrix Audio products already have), with ethernet/WiFi inputs.

There's also room to add EQ like RME ADI-2's

And other features like MiniDSP products have

Plenty more room for improvement in features

And not all or most have results like we see here.

And it's good for western companies to keep seeing more examples of engineering excellence so that they can lift their game.

The more examples like C200, the better.

D

Deleted member 50971

I appreciate your opinion thanks.

Then they need to get on with it, instead of keep making repetitive sounding, measuring, and featured DAC’s, because that’s what they’re doing right now in my opinion.

But… it’s money driven and if they went right to the top like they could right now where is the $¥€£ in that?

Where’s all the features? We’ll get it in increments, so we keep buying the latest and greatest.

If the point is a flat frequency response at the MLP, then just go for DSP and get it over with. I think many of the guys are already doing that on here, and I know I’m not getting strung along lol.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Where’s all the features? We’ll get it in increments, so we keep buying the latest and greatest.
Apple and Google and Samsung do this every year.

This will continue till the end of time.

So we can't call this a Chinese brand thing.

D

Deleted member 50971

Apple and Google and Samsung do this every year.

This will continue till the end of time.

So we can't call this a Chinese brand thing.
Great point, and exactly why I refuse to let it happen again.

Transparency was the most important feature to me, along with XLR in and out, a preamp built into the DAC, ability to run my subwoofers without an external preamp. So for me and I would bet 95% of the general public it’s reached the pinnacle… but people will buy it anyway just to have the latest and greatest.

Why don’t they have DSP in there already, Topping, SMSL and all the other ones?

I get it, but I’m not following any further than the features that I need the most. If I want DSP at the MLP, I have it built into my AVP already.

Your mileage may vary, and I understand that people want more features, I’m saying for 95% it’s probably not necessary.

I have not upgraded my smartphone in three years, and I’m passing this year also.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Why don’t they have DSP in there already, Topping, SMSL and all the other ones?
Possible they are trying to build their brands?

Topping don't exactly have the reputation on these forums, for best reliability / QA/C

SMSL do better in that in my experience but I don't have proper data

I don't see anything wrong with flooding the market with great DAC/headamps at different price points. And along the way, improve long term reliability / QA/QC

Then slowly add features

Topping have a new 8-channel DAC. That might be the start, for what becomes an AVR/Pre later. Baby steps.

So I don't agree it's just more of the same.

And per my earlier point, more examples that make western companies to lift their game, is a good thing.

D

Deleted member 50971

Possible they are trying to build their brands?

Topping don't exactly have the reputation on these forums, for best reliability / QA/C

SMSL do better in that in my experience but I don't have proper data

I don't see anything wrong with flooding the market with great DAC/headamps at different price points. And along the way, improve long term reliability / QA/QC

Then slowly add features

Topping have a new 8-channel DAC. That might be the start, for what becomes an AVR/Pre later. Baby steps.

So I don't agree it's just more of the same.

And per my earlier point, more examples that make western companies to lift their game, is a good thing.

You are surely entitled to your opinion, and thanks for the discussion.

tktran303

Forum Donor
With so many of these DACs offering similar features and similar (albeit excellent) performance, one has to wonder if they are all based on some ESS Reference Design or Evaluation Board.

like an nVidia or AMD graphics card; you can review as many boards as you want from different branded AIB partners.

But they are all very similar in performance (+/- 5%) and features (+/- 1)

D

Deleted member 50971

They have gotten so good for $200, that drops been offering the SMSL SU-8s for that price most of the summer. Other than looks, and a couple extra features why would you spend anymore? I did buy the Topping D90 over a year ago… then the Topping D-30 pro which sounds exactly the same, same features except missing MQA. Now I bought the SMSL SU8S that has MQA for $199.

It looks like the race is to see who can include balanced outputs, volume control and a 115 SINAD or greater for less than $200.

Talk about beating a dead horse at this stage of the game, bring on the features lol. Just sayin.

rarewolf

What I miss from @amirm reviews is comparisons with similarly targeted and similarly priced models from the competition… but then I’d probably just end up with buyer’s remorse.

Don’t worry Topping… I absolutely still love my DX3P+

D

Deleted member 50971

On the other hand this does have a headphone amp, so that’s a plus for those that do headphones. I guess that’s most of us, except me lol.

Top Bottom