• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone see this train wreck in Stereophile?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
You don't really think one can replicate the sound of all the different speakers out there with EQ, do you?
I guess the hard cap is on the phisical capabilities of the speaker itself.

This is a bit confusing though.

You say it's a poor recording. What makes it "poor" if not that it sounds "poor?"

If it sounds good on both your speakers and in a professional studio, why call it a "poor" recording?

(And then of course we are simply moving the subjective call to rating recordings...)
Poor in terms of lots of extra noise and sound other than instruments themselves; saturated microphones, low dynamic range, compressed sound... I reckon that some producers have made those elements a trademark of what they create, Scott Burns is a good example.

Those could be measureable elements of the recording whereas liking the result or not is up to the listener. What I call "good speakers" would make those elements evident.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
This speaker is a expensive effects machine. Audiophile as my A...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless the item is bespoke. For example if you ordered curtains to a specific length, you would not be able to return them under the distance selling regs.

Whether these speakers would qualify as bespoke would be a matter for the Courts, but since they seem to be built to order with specific owner-selected finish that might be enough to class them as bespoke.
They have specifications. They are not bespoke. They just have options.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I don't believe in god, so you can guess how much I believe in the validity of your perceptions.
I believe in God and I still don't find any validity in Papermills perceptions! We are covering both sides of the issue and are in agreement. Sweet!

sq225917

Major Contributor
They have specifications. They are not bespoke. They just have options.
If they are made to order, not from a finished stock holding, in the uk they would be outside of the distance selling regs rules on returns. If the cabs were all preveneered and the speakers final assembled upon order they'd be inside regs. If they send the bare cabs out to be veneered upon order and then assemble them they are outside of the regs. It's not the act of giving options that defines the product, its who and how they are optioned.

That's why when you buy a bicycle online you'd buy it and a spare set of tyres, rather than have them fitted on the bike, for example. One is covered the other not.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If they are made to order, not from a finished stock holding, in the uk they would be outside of the distance selling regs rules on returns. If the cabs were all preveneered and the speakers final assembled upon order they'd be inside regs. If they send the bare cabs out to be veneered upon order and then assemble them they are outside of the regs. It's not the act of giving options that defines the product, its who and how they are optioned.

That's why when you buy a bicycle online you'd buy it and a spare set of tyres, rather than have them fitted on the bike, for example. One is covered the other not.
Thank you for the clear answer.

Top Bottom