• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any Volumio users out there?

SPOautos

Yes the only way to control/operate Moode is thru a browser. I use it and like much better than Volumnio.

Does it work well on mobile? Say Chrome on Android? Can you see everything well and navigate well?

wineandmusic

I am running volumio on x86 not pi, and it seems moode is mostly just for pi...i saw only a couple comments about x86 a few years ago, and didn't sound stable for x86.

It's amazing how much the 2 interfaces look very similar to one another...did they split off from one another or something like that?

SPOautos

Guys I'm new to all this and I'm handy but no computer/networking guru so please excuse my ignorance as I vomit up how I think I can use this, hoping you guys can correct any misconceptions.

Do I can get a Raspberry Pi 4 and load either Volumio or Moode on it. Then I can get something like a 1TB ssd drive, load it up with music and plug it into a USB 3.0 on the Rasperry or into my router....in either case the Vokumio or Moode will find the music and manage it. No software has to be on the ssd itself....correct?

Then it appears you can get the Raspberry with different quality dac's? Also various in/outs. So I THINK I could get it with a analog in and out to run my phono pre too it then out to my power amp. This means I can use all my own music, browsing it through my phone browser (with Volumio or Moode) as well as Tidal and some radio stations (podcasts?). And switch inputs to my phono as well....correct?

Can I easily control the volume with my phone?

How is the Tidal integration for them? Is it a similar experience to using the Tidal app where you see all the suggested content and lists they create for you as well as its video stuff?

With my own personal music library do either Vokumio or Moode have the ability to create lists out of my own music or make suggestions like you get with Tidal? Does one have better metadata, filters, sorting, searching capability than the other? I think Roon can suggest music to you from your own library, but isnt compatible with all this unless using AppleAir which degrades sound.

Machinistnl

Guys I'm new to all this and I'm handy but no computer/networking guru so please excuse my ignorance as I vomit up how I think I can use this, hoping you guys can correct any misconceptions.

Do I can get a Raspberry Pi 4 and load either Volumio or Moode on it. Then I can get something like a 1TB ssd drive, load it up with music and plug it into a USB 3.0 on the Rasperry or into my router....in either case the Vokumio or Moode will find the music and manage it. No software has to be on the ssd itself....correct?

Then it appears you can get the Raspberry with different quality dac's? Also various in/outs. So I THINK I could get it with a analog in and out to run my phono pre too it then out to my power amp. This means I can use all my own music, browsing it through my phone browser (with Volumio or Moode) as well as Tidal and some radio stations (podcasts?). And switch inputs to my phono as well....correct?

Can I easily control the volume with my phone?

How is the Tidal integration for them? Is it a similar experience to using the Tidal app where you see all the suggested content and lists they create for you as well as its video stuff?

With my own personal music library do either Vokumio or Moode have the ability to create lists out of my own music or make suggestions like you get with Tidal? Does one have better metadata, filters, sorting, searching capability than the other? I think Roon can suggest music to you from your own library, but isnt compatible with all this unless using AppleAir which degrades sound.

I never used Moode, but have been a user of Volumio for years. I have used an Rpi 3B+ with a HifiBerry Dac+ Pro (RCA output/volume control) and Digi+ Pro (SPDIF/no volume control).
App works well through an iPhone/iPad or just use a browser. Big plus for me was the Radio Paradise plugin, playing FLAC and showing metadata. Later on used the Roon plugin for, well, Roon.
Using Tidal isn’t an issue through Airplay, however, for Tidal to be included in Volumio with native functions it will cost you a bit of money as it’s an added feature. Look it up on their website, it has everything clearly explained.
As for an SSD/HDD/USB stick or NAS, no need to to install anything on it, just plug it in and do a library search of your music.
If I didn’t cover enough, just respond and I’ll try to answer as good as I can.

SPOautos

I never used Moode, but have been a user of Volumio for years. I have used an Rpi 3B+ with a HifiBerry Dac+ Pro (RCA output/volume control) and Digi+ Pro (SPDIF/no volume control).
App works well through an iPhone/iPad or just use a browser. Big plus for me was the Radio Paradise plugin, playing FLAC and showing metadata. Later on used the Roon plugin for, well, Roon.
Using Tidal isn’t an issue through Airplay, however, for Tidal to be included in Volumio with native functions it will cost you a bit of money as it’s an added feature. Look it up on their website, it has everything clearly explained.
As for an SSD/HDD/USB stick or NAS, no need to to install anything on it, just plug it in and do a library search of your music.
If I didn’t cover enough, just respond and I’ll try to answer as good as I can.

Thank you! Im going to start a new thread about my setup so I dont mess up this thread since I want to talk about other things besides Volumio....hope you will join in. Thanks!

HemiRick

"Do I can get a Raspberry Pi 4 and load either Volumio or Moode on it. Then I can get something like a 1TB ssd drive, load it up with music and plug it into a USB 3.0 on the Rasperry or into my router....in either case the Vokumio or Moode will find the music and manage it. No software has to be on the ssd itself....correct? "

Exactly Moode and Volunmio are basically 2 diff versions of the same thing,,,,Moode also has the ability to run Filters, and has a graphic equalizer built in.

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just installed it earlier today as i was looking for a player that could be controlled from windows browser. I absolutely love that about it...
just curious why would you want a touch player when you can control from web browser?

One word: Autoplay

Sashoir

Forum Donor
I have a couple of questions. 1) How do you like it? 2) Does Volumio work with Idagio or Primephonic?
I recently set up a raspberry pi 4 as my streamer running volumio after spending a couple of weeks tagging my flac collection from years ago (I had to move country for the fourth time in five years for work and so jettisoned pretty much all my possessions).
I really enjoy it, and have purchased a paid "superstar" subscription, not because I really need the features, but basically to reward/ help fund the developers and staff. With that said, it has a few idiosyncrasies of the sort to which you might not be accustomed if you are used to "boxed product" commercial software. For instance, I can only get the Spotify connect plugin to work using the software mixer, and the "direct" Spotify plugin seems to tell the DAC in my little amplifier that it's done for the day at the end of each song, so the DAC/amp releases the connexion in some sense and I miss the first couple of seconds of each song (hence I use the Spotify connect plugin instead, so it's not a show stopper for me at all, only something worth mentioning to someone considering volumio as an option).

Like all the playback software I have used, its user interface doesn't really seem to handle "custom" vorbis/flac tags (you can't configure the navigation to be by "composer", for example). But given tags can be (I believe) essentially arbitrary, I'd not call this a flaw per se.

The UI itself is very clean, well laid out, and legible on a handphone, computer monitor, and television. The online help resources are excellent (at least in English, and presumably in Italian also). I'm currently using it wirelessly to play from the hard disc of my computer at the other end of the living room, and this has worked flawlessly since installation a few weeks ago. It does to have a fairly minimal processor/memory footprint, so I should think you could use it comfortably with a less powerful SBC if you liked. Playback from a usb SSD was also smooth and painless. I only have cd ripped flacs and a few 24 bit downloaded flacs from presto, lsolive, etc, so I can't comment on its handling of other formats. Other playback software I've used includes quodlibet, musicbee, foobar: I much prefer volumio.

From what I know, there's no idagio support (I used idagio for a few months, along with qobuz: I'm sure they're excellent, but I've more or less decided to stick with Spotify and then just buy things I like enough to want to hear in high quality), but provided idagio exposes an api/webhooks/doodads, it's a reasonable bet that someone will attempt an integration at some point.

Bear in mind I'm new to computer based music in general and volumio in particular, so everything cum grano salis.

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I recently set up a raspberry pi 4 as my streamer running volumio after spending a couple of weeks tagging my flac collection from years ago (I had to move country for the fourth time in five years for work and so jettisoned pretty much all my possessions).
I really enjoy it, and have purchased a paid "superstar" subscription, not because I really need the features, but basically to reward/ help fund the developers and staff. With that said, it has a few idiosyncrasies of the sort to which you might not be accustomed if you are used to "boxed product" commercial software. For instance, I can only get the Spotify connect plugin to work using the software mixer, and the "direct" Spotify plugin seems to tell the DAC in my little amplifier that it's done for the day at the end of each song, so the DAC/amp releases the connexion in some sense and I miss the first couple of seconds of each song (hence I use the Spotify connect plugin instead, so it's not a show stopper for me at all, only something worth mentioning to someone considering volumio as an option).

Like all the playback software I have used, its user interface doesn't really seem to handle "custom" vorbis/flac tags (you can't configure the navigation to be by "composer", for example). But given tags can be (I believe) essentially arbitrary, I'd not call this a flaw per se.

The UI itself is very clean, well laid out, and legible on a handphone, computer monitor, and television. The online help resources are excellent (at least in English, and presumably in Italian also). I'm currently using it wirelessly to play from the hard disc of my computer at the other end of the living room, and this has worked flawlessly since installation a few weeks ago. It does to have a fairly minimal processor/memory footprint, so I should think you could use it comfortably with a less powerful SBC if you liked. Playback from a usb SSD was also smooth and painless. I only have cd ripped flacs and a few 24 bit downloaded flacs from presto, lsolive, etc, so I can't comment on its handling of other formats. Other playback software I've used includes quodlibet, musicbee, foobar: I much prefer volumio.

From what I know, there's no idagio support (I used idagio for a few months, along with qobuz: I'm sure they're excellent, but I've more or less decided to stick with Spotify and then just buy things I like enough to want to hear in high quality), but provided idagio exposes an api/webhooks/doodads, it's a reasonable bet that someone will attempt an integration at some point.

Bear in mind I'm new to computer based music in general and volumio in particular, so everything cum grano salis.

Thanks for the review!

Paul E

Sorry only just noticed this reply. Not sure what audyssee is and not finding much from a quick google. But basically I can measure my room response with a microphone, load the resulting curve, and it generates compensation in the digital domain to "flatten" the response. Very nice.

Paul

pluplog

I run Volumio off a RPi 3 with a Hifiberry shield and it works great. Main material comes off Spotify and sometimes web radio, but I also have my desktop setup with minidlna, which I then browse with my phone (Bubble UPNP) to play my own music files - in Bubble I'll choose Volumio as the renderer.

I started using Volumio due to having purchased a miniDLNA SHD about a year ago.
I like Volumio pretty well but am disheartened by their attempts to upsell MyVolumio.
I don't mind sending some money their way but strikes me as a little pricey and I
don't care for subscription based services.

Thus, I'm on a journey seeking alternatives and wondering if I'll eventually be able to
replace Volumio on the nanoPi embedded into the miniDSP SHD. One can always
instead use an external SBC feeding the SHD via USB or SPDIF.

Just in the last week, I dipped my toe into the shallow end of the Raspberry Pi pool.
Currently listening to songs on Volumio installed on a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB in an
Argon 1 case playing through a Topping D10. Properly installing the Argon 1
Python and Bash scripts was a little tricky but is working well now.

I did also perform a brief audition of MoOde Audio on the Pi 4. I liked much about
MoOde. Though, with some oddities relative to its DLNA player function. I wrote
several paragraphs on MoOde's odd DLNA implementation but deleted in order
to spare you the boredom.

Cebolla

I started using Volumio due to having purchased a miniDLNA SHD about a year ago.
I did also perform a brief audition of MoOde Audio on the Pi 4. I liked much about
MoOde. Though, with some oddities relative to its DLNA player function. I wrote
several paragraphs on MoOde's odd DLNA implementation but deleted in order
to spare you the boredom.
Should't be any different to how Volumio implements its UPnP/DLNA player as they both use the same one - the upmpdcli UPnP media renderer front end client for MPD.

Are you actually referring to MoOde's web browser UI to control its UPnP/DLNA player rather than the UPnP/DLNA player itself?

Should't be any different to how Volumio implements its UPnP/DLNA player as they both use the same one - the upmpdcli UPnP media renderer front end client for MPD.

Are you actually referring to MoOde's web browser UI to control its UPnP/DLNA player rather than the UPnP/DLNA player itself?

Hi Cebolla,

Yeah, the DLNA renderer component, the upmpdcli piece, seems to work fine. If I use a separate outboard
DLNA controller, such as a BubbleUPnP or Hi-Fi Cast app on Android, no problem. The RPi with moOde
appears as another DLNA renderer on my network and the controller can instruct it to play songs from my
DLNA media server. All is as one would expect.

The difficulty I encountered is if I wish to use the moOde web interface to browse the content of a DLNA media
server. The paradigm that moOde seems to insist upon in that circumstance is to treat the DLNA media server's
content as a network mount, similar to mounting via NFS or SMB. The moOde Audio web page describes this
feature as "UPnP browser with folder scan".

For me, the problem is that moOde thinks it has to scan the DLNA media server's content, generating its own
private index of the content. That is redundant and slow. In the DLNA architecture, it is the DLNA media server
that indexes the content and makes these indexes available over the network to DLNA control points and players.
The DLNA control point, player or renderer are not intended to build and maintain their own indexes.

When I ssh into the moOde player, I can walk the directory structure mounted by FUSE using djmount. The
djmount folder structure reflects the folder and schema structure of the various DLNA media servers on my
network. It works pretty well. Though I do worry about djmount having been abandoned by its author about

The problem begins when moOde apparently insists upon reading each and every song through djmount and
thus retrieving absolutely every song in the media library in full. Basically, performing an HTTP GET for each
and every song, just so that it can read and index the meta data tags.

With Volumio, I can use its web interface to navigate through my music collection almost immediately upon
connecting a new and sizable DLNA media server to my network. If one were to have several moOde players,
they would all be frantically engaged in a HTTP GET storm whenever they perceive either a new DLNA media
server or a former media server with a change of centent.

I freely admit that I may be using moOde in the wrong manner and/or arriving at the wrong conclusion. I only
spent little more than an hour looking at moOde.

function9

I am very late to this thread but I really enjoy Volumio. I have run it on Pi 3, 3b, 4 and Tinker Board. If you aren't doing hi-res all of them work fine BUT if you want to play hi-res audio through USB go with Tinker Board S - sound is great. That is what they use for their Volumio Primo. All of the Pi had occassional subtle issues with USB and hi-res audio on Volumio.

Last edited:

Sukie

Forum Donor
I am very late to this thread but I really enjoy Volumio. I have run it on Pi 3, 3b, 4 and Tinker Board. If you aren't doing hi-res all of them work fine BUT if you want to play hi-res audio through USB go with Tinker Board S - sound is great. That is what they use for their Volumio Primo. All of the Pi had occassional subtle issues with USB and hi-res audio on Volumio.
I used Volumio for a while (now using Moode) but didn't find any problems with Hi-Res. What problems did you encounter?

Also found no problems with USB. Are you talking about experiences with RPi3? Rpi4 sorted out USB/ethernet problem.

Machinistnl

I changed my setup from Rpi3b+/Hifiberry Digi+ Pro to just a Rpi4 connected to a Chord Hugo by means of a decent USB cable. It’s for my main setup. Never have any issues with Ropieee XL on the Rpi4, as I use it as a Roon endpoint. What benefit could a Tinker Board S bring according to you?

function9

I used Volumio for a while (now using Moode) but didn't find any problems with Hi-Res. What problems did you encounter?

Also found no problems with USB. Are you talking about experiences with RPi3? Rpi4 sorted out USB/ethernet problem.
With 96khz 24bit my Pi all would occasionally introduce a very small pop sometimes minutes apart. It drove me nuts. I kept trying different boards till I got to Tinker Board. The limitations of Pi 3 USB are documented. I was surprised Pi 4 was still an issue.

Top Bottom