• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any Volumio users out there?

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, me too. This is the first day in 3 months of owning it that the Spotify connect plugin hasn’t dropped the stream halfway through the first song. I can’t believe I’ve listened to 3 hours of music back to back now, finally. I have been able to disconnect the rpi4 with ropieeeXL and use Spotify successfully. It seems it’s getting better. Touch wood, but I’m not packing the rpi4 away just yet...

So, Volumio on the SHD is somewhat the dog. Almost better off hooking up a RP3 or RP4 to the SHD. And listen that way. No?

McFly

So, Volumio on the SHD is somewhat the dog. Almost better off hooking up a RP3 or RP4 to the SHD. And listen that way. No?
Thats exactly how I do it.

kaka89

I was Volumio user until they removed Tidal support from their open source version.
And Spotify Connect was somewhat unreliable as well.

For people who doesn't need library management (streaming only), I highly recommend RoPieee XL. It supports Roon, AirPlay, Spotify Connect, Upnp/Dlna and Squeezelite. Pretty much everything you need already and very stable.

If you don't have Roon, there are quite a few good DLNA/UPNP software including Audirvana (desktop) and mConnect (mobile, has free version). Both support Qobuz and Tidal catalog.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
I've been using it for about a year and so far I enjoy it. There are definitely a few quirks, particularly with the UI which apparently is getting an overhaul this year, but I would definitely recommend it as a cheap headless server. It supports the main streaming companies, local server streaming, multiple audio formats including DSD direct or DoP, and is generally quick on a Raspberry PI, especially the 4 and with a fast SD card.

As for the pricing plans, people need to realize that building this kind of software, and maintaining it, takes hundreds or thousands of hours a year. Count the bug fixes, updates, and upgrades for all the platforms and it's a huge amount of time. I get that everyone wants everything for free, but Volumio comes out to 2.41 Euros a month ($2.61 USD), which even if you're broke isn't a hell of a lot. And no, I'm not a sponsor.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Volumio froze my SHD Studio after trying to install the equalizer plugin. Had to take it apart and reflash the SD card. It's definitely quirky on the minidsp but that's how you interface with it as they use a modified version. It runs on a nanopi. If you have Roon there is setting in it where you can make it an endpoint that uses RAAT and will pass high resolution. It's not one of the plugins like it used to be though you can still do that.

Nabussan

I was Volumio user until they removed Tidal support from their open source version.

If you don't have Roon, there are quite a few good DLNA/UPNP software including Audirvana (desktop) and mConnect (mobile, has free version). Both support Qobuz and Tidal catalog.

I still use Volumio thanks only to the mConnect app.
mConnect supports Qobuz and Tidal, Volumio (running on a tiny cubox-i with SPDIF) serves as a UPnP renderer.

m8o

Forum Donor
Let me jump into this thread with my question that hopefully catches the eye of experienced Volumio users, rather than creating a new one.

I bought into the Roon ecosystem. Didnt need Volumio. But I gave it a try on a raspberry pi 3 or 4 to experiment with audio quality diffs and to just learn. I wanted to use it with my music all stored on and coming from a USB drive; not a network share. However I found it extremely infrequent that on boot the Volumio OS & UI would find/see the USB drive. It was very frustrating. And I gave up on it.

Is this normal? I.e. a known issue? Is there a workaround? Was going to give Rune a go next because of this.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Let me jump into this thread with my question that hopefully catches the eye of experienced Volumio users, rather than creating a new one.

I bought into the Roon ecosystem. Didnt need Volumio. But I gave it a try on a raspberry pi 3 or 4 to experiment with audio quality diffs and to just learn. I wanted to use it with my music all stored on and coming from a USB drive; not a network share. However I found it extremely infrequent that on boot the Volumio OS & UI would find/see the USB drive. It was very frustrating. And I gave up on it.

Is this normal? I.e. a known issue? Is there a workaround? Was going to give Rune a go next because of this.

As Volumio is UPnP renderer you would do much better with having your music on a UPnP media server which can be installed on practically every home NAS device.

Nango

Major Contributor

Sounds strange to me, it takes quite a while until Volumio finishes reading the music library.

Machinistnl

I have been using Volumio for a few years now. I use a Rpi 3B+ and a HifiBerry digi+ pro that I have modded to feed it 5V directly with an SBooster lineair power supply.

As for Volumio, it’s slowly getting better and better, I’m using it mainly with Radio Paradise, but this app sometimes works for long periods and then just drops the sound. Not sure where that problem is caused. The plugin is developed by someone else other than the Volumio team.

Does Moode use the FLAC stream off of Radio Paradise?

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor

I may get this wrong - but why do you not connect Volumio with the Roon plugin to Roon and stream your music from there?
I use Volumio with an Apple USB dongle DAC and am super happy.

m8o

Forum Donor
I may get this wrong - but why do you not connect Volumio with the Roon plugin to Roon and stream your music from there?
I use Volumio with an Apple USB dongle DAC and am super happy.

Yep, I get it. I didn't go into that. Because I planned on moving Roon and all roonbridges/endpoints to another home; what I now consider my 2nd home but is planned to become my only and primary residence. I was searching for a replacement for Roon with much more limited capabilities in the primary residence, until I sell the home.

wineandmusic

Well Qobuz is supposedly here in the USA. And as far as hardware goes, I was looking at the Volumio Touch Player,
VSTLP-1.jpg

which is RP3 B+ based. I won't be making a move before the end of summer. So, we'll see how things develop on this front.

I just installed it earlier today as i was looking for a player that could be controlled from windows browser. I absolutely love that about it...
just curious why would you want a touch player when you can control from web browser?

bahamot

Well Qobuz is supposedly here in the USA. And as far as hardware goes, I was looking at the Volumio Touch Player,
VSTLP-1.jpg

which is RP3 B+ based. I won't be making a move before the end of summer. So, we'll see how things develop on this front.
I "built" my own with odroid N2+android+UAPP

HemiRick

can it be controlled with a web browser? THat is the feature i like most about volumio because i live on my computer and my eyes are bad and can't read from a smartphone.

Yes the only way to control/operate Moode is thru a browser. I use it and like much better than Volumnio.

Paul E

I started out with Moode (as a player for a FLAC music library ripped from CDs). I moved to Volumio because it offers free DRC via BruteFIR. Really impressed with this. Running on an RPi3b+ withj Allo DigiOne into Khadas Tone Board.
At some point I will dig deeply enough into the code to get my Allo Relay Attenuator to give me hardware volume control. But I haven't managed it yet.

wineandmusic

Yes the only way to control/operate Moode is thru a browser. I use it and like much better than Volumnio.
ok, i will give it a shot..thanks....what do you like better about it? I know someone else said they like moode better too and i was going to try it but couldn't remember the name until i saw it in this thread....they said they thought it sounded better...are there any features that you like better? Did you give volumio a fair tryout first or did you try this moode first?

Last edited:

wineandmusic

I started out with Moode. I moved to Volumio because it offers free DRC via BruteFIR. Really impressed with this.

what is this brutefir and what does that do for you? I never really got into any advanced features of any players beyond upsampling...

edit to add::: i just googled and see it is for room correction...i use audyssee for eq is that the same concept?

Top Bottom