• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any Volumio users out there?

Machinistnl

With 96khz 24bit my Pi all would occasionally introduce a very small pop sometimes minutes apart. It drove me nuts. I kept trying different boards till I got to Tinker Board. The limitations of Pi 3 USB are documented. I was surprised Pi 4 was still an issue.

Interesting! See, this is why discussions are nice.
I had the same between an RPI4 and Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, but I don’t have it between an RPI4 and Chord Hugo. So possibly it’s not the RPI, but the attached DAC.

function9

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I was surprised Pi 4 was still an issue.
I'm surprised too - I tried and failed to reproduce the previous issues on the Pi 4 a while back. The method (raspbian, BruteFIR, squeezelite) reliably reproduced it on the 3b and below. I've never had an issue with usb audio using PiCorePlayer though, even on the older versions.

CausticStorm

Forum Donor
I use Volumio with hifiBerry dac hat, going to schiit dac. No complaints here, really like it.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a couple of questions. 1) How do you like it? 2) Does Volumio work with Idagio or Primephonic?
It’s good, easy to use out of the box, multi platform, supports a good range of sources, the settings recovery using myvolumio is useful, bug reporting is a PITA but it’s hard for them as users aren’t good at filing bug reports. I think it compares well to other os’s for the pi etc. Certainly preferable to the soon-to-be abandonware that ships on 99% of commercial audio devices.

No idea about the second question!

CausticStorm

Forum Donor
Why do you have a DAC feeding a DAC?

I built the pi3 with a dac hat as I didn't want to use headphone output into my pre-amp. I've since by-passed the external dac, and have the output from pi3 going to my pre-amp instead. I was seeing how pi3 would perform with optical out vs. rca out. I have not tried it with usb out, and my external DAC only has one USB input that I use for laptop.

discus96

I use pi4 with Volumio, Topping D10 direct to my amped Yamaha HS8 speakers.
Sources are from my large Flac music collection in my HD drive by usb, from Spotify or from the Volumio web radios.

I control Volumio from my IPhone or from PC.

works great!

so I bought a second PI 4 and from a another Topping D10 feed the digital coax out to my Crown I-Tech 5000 (they have top quality digital in) to my Reference class Vintage studio monitors JBL 4355 (super revealing).

It sounds just PERFECT!

Stellabagpuss

l've been running Volumio 3 X86 for few weeks now, sound quality wise, you need to put same effort in ,as you would a PC. l recommend a NUC, LPS. The biggest gain, is removing your OS drive out of your PC, and powering independently, screen your brake out lead.
This was a happy discovery, as l was using JRIVER and had done those hardware mods anyway. l had a spare SSD installed Volumio 3, and greeted with a big lift in sound quality.
The interface is still a bit clunky,it's functional, if you store your music on a Hard Drive, in my case a 8tb, l suggest a SSD.
lf you have a old PC kicking around, it makes for a simple winter project.

Stickler1

I'm running three diff versions of it. Much more stable and mobile friendly than any MoOde I've tried. It does not play embedded art. All SSDs for me no jribbah.

Last edited:
Top Bottom