• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen the pic of Sal sitting on a Harley with a woman sitting in his lap. Now that makes him my personal hero! Dang what I wouldn't give to have a younger woman sit on my lap.....Heck, I'd pay good money for that! :)
I warned you because he fooled me! For all I know, he either paid for that photo or it was photoshop'd!;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I warned you because he fooled me! For all I know, he either paid for that photo or it was photoshop'd!;)
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

TitanGirl.jpg

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
This is a very well known strip bar that has been in Vancouver for a long time. No5 Orange it is called. The talent is primO top notch and the place is clean and well serviced by staff. There is no cover charge and the drink and food prices are great for well prepared pub fare. It's very popular at lunchtime for the business crowd and the rest of the day it's just people attending for snacks, brewskies and shows from 11am to 1am. I googled the subject a bit and apparently many of the Vancouver strip bars closed. The new generation is not attending the shows and the pubs closed as a result. The Drake in Vancouver was my all time favorite though. I've been there and out of the blue a half dozen gorgeous women saunter onto the stage and do their thang. It was a big place with 3 small 6 foot diameter stages with poles, with a few chairs at each and then the main stage is huge as it can fit some talent in numbers. No extra charge for sitting at any stage too. Sigh* I live in Alberta now and this place sucks for stripper bars. They call them gentlemen's' clubs and charge to get in, charge exorbitant prices for a coke or a beer and you must buy the talent a $15 coke if you want to keep viewing. I never go here because it's just a cash grab and even checking your coat is $30.00 here. Pffft*
No5-Orange-Home-Welcome-To-The-5-768x768.jpg

When I was in University, in the early 2000s, the best place to get a burger was the closest strip club.

IIRC, $4.25 got you a fantastic burger and fries before 2pm. No cover, but rarely any talent either...sadly they moved towns, jacked the cover/prices, and dropped the kitchen.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a big fan of how MotoGP handles my expensive yearly subscription. Main commentators are fine, but live coverage is flaky, editing is slow and the website just fights to spoil the races - which living in California I try very hard to avoid. My MotoGP local Sundays see me go to the gym with a perfect excuse to do 3 hours of cardio - watch the races while I sweat! :)

From an audio point of view - live, I can very often recognize approaching motorcycles by their exhaust and engine notes. I have been to live MotoGP events (wear earplugs!) and the engine notes are so wild and amazing... yet on the MotoGP stream they make no attempt to ever capture it, what a shame.

PS: Ducs seem to be coming back in MotoGP, it's going to be an amazing second half in *all* categories - close and any possibility still open. I admit I'll root for Aleix E in MotoGP, Aaron Canet in Moto2, and just laugh and enjoy myself watching Moto3.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a big fan of how MotoGP handles my expensive yearly subscription. Main commentators are fine, but live coverage is flaky, editing is slow and the website just fights to spoil the races - which living in California I try very hard to avoid. My MotoGP local Sundays see me go to the gym with a perfect excuse to do 3 hours of cardio - watch the races while I sweat! :)

From an audio point of view - live, I can very often recognize approaching motorcycles by their exhaust and engine notes. I have been to live MotoGP events (wear earplugs!) and the engine notes are so wild and amazing... yet on the MotoGP stream they make no attempt to ever capture it, what a shame.

PS: Ducs seem to be coming back in MotoGP, it's going to be an amazing second half in *all* categories - close and any possibility still open. I admit I'll root for Aleix E in MotoGP, Aaron Canet in Moto2, and just laugh and enjoy myself watching Moto3.
I find Moto 3 the most enjoyable to watch, but do keep up with MotoGP. Somehow Moto 2 just doesn't interest me. Loved Canet in Moto3. I agree with the coverage and the expense. I believe they could drop the subscription price to 1/3 and get ten times the subscriptions. I suppose they think they are protecting local broadcast money. My problem is in the USA the races are barely covered.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find Moto 3 the most enjoyable to watch, but do keep up with MotoGP. Somehow Moto 2 just doesn't interest me. Loved Canet in Moto3. I agree with the coverage and the expense. I believe they could drop the subscription price to 1/3 and get ten times the subscriptions. I suppose they think they are protecting local broadcast money. My problem is in the USA the races are barely covered.
Moto3 is just pure and often stupid racing, but it is soooooooo much fun! MotoGP to me is simply something I have to watch, even though we know the big $ sometime distort the racing purity.

Moto2... to me sometimes it's the best of the two, honestly. The machinery is pretty hardcore and very equal, the racing cut-throat. The racing is a mix of the purer lines you have to run with fewer electronics at first, but later in the race everybody's tires are spinning or giving out some because the power is inevitably there. And of course it is the intermediate class, so it's a battle for selection...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I agree with the coverage and the expense. I believe they could drop the subscription price to 1/3 and get ten times the subscriptions. I suppose they think they are protecting local broadcast money.
So much of motorsports suffers from the same.
I'm a big fan of dirt racing, mainly World Of Outlaws sprint and latemodel.
Since all free TV coverage ended the sub prices are just too much for me to chew.
The cost a media has gone insane, there's just too many all trying to get in my wallet.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So much of motorsports suffers from the same.
I'm a big fan of dirt racing, mainly World Of Outlaws sprint and latemodel.
Since all free TV coverage ended the sub prices are just too much for me to chew.
The cost a media has gone insane, there's just too many all trying to get in my wallet.
Yes, that too. There is some good dirt track around where I live so its cheaper to go see it than to subscribe.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just wish that there was more "on board" footage currently personally... When the four stroke era began, back in 2002, seem to remember about a third of the race was shown on-board. Really helps give a sense of the speed. Remember the epic battles between Rossi and Gibernau.
Currently a huge fan of Moto3... The sheer number of riders, and rate of attrition is nuts. The racing is amazing.
Also now interesting to see what happens when bits of "aero" come off the current MotoGP bikes...
Love Moto2 as I have a Triumph Street Triple R with a similar engine. Sounds great with carbon race pipes.

-Matt-

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rode bikes for over a half a century but I never wanted hear some story about someone who knows someone who rides a bike and who was involved in a 'rubber-side-not-down' scenario. As a rider, those stories always gave me the heebie-jeebiez but not because I lack any good stories and/or scars to prove them.
I turned candy-ass and gave up that hobby few years ago, after a meeting w/a texting cager. [He won!]
Someone suggested that I might as well become couch-rider and start watching MotoGP. [It's a hoot!]

Something I don't quite understand though: Why do SOME of MotoGP racers stick out their inside leg/foot (like a dirtbike rider) but ONLY during SOME turns and NOT consistently EVERY lap?:oops:

Chr1

Forum Donor
Rode bikes for over a half a century but I never wanted hear some story about someone who knows someone who rides a bike and who was involved in a 'rubber-side-not-down' scenario. As a rider, those stories always gave me the heebie-jeebiez but not because I lack any good stories and/or scars to prove them.
I turned candy-ass and gave up that hobby few years ago, after a meeting w/a texting cager. [He won!]
Someone suggested that I might as well become couch-rider and start watching MotoGP. [It's a hoot!]

Something I don't quite understand though: Why do SOME of MotoGP racers stick out their inside leg/foot (like a dirtbike rider) but ONLY during SOME turns and NOT consistently EVERY lap?:oops:
Yes, think I recall it being nicknamed "the doctor dangle", or some such early on, as it was Rossi (nicknamed "The Doctor"...as he was clinical), who started it.
I believe it is done as a means of changing weight distribution whilst braking, as less weight goes through the footpeg.
Looks crazy but I guess it works as it is commonplace now.

Pablo27

My old Triumph
Screenshot_20220919_191349.jpg

My current, KTM, is a bit of a hooligan especially after the remap. Unfortunately I'm too big for a crotch rocket otherwise I'd be hooning around on an rc8...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220919_191245.jpg
    Screenshot_20220919_191245.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
I turned candy-ass and gave up that hobby few years ago, ...
I resemble that. Not quite 50 years, but rode over 100k miles on various bikes over a 20 year period. After losing a family member and a few friends over the years (the one I mentioned earlier in this thread has since died, add one more to the list :(), I turned candy-ass myself and stopped riding a few years ago. I discovered that slow airplanes are more fun than fast cars & bikes, and safer, with a different risk profile that puts you in more control over your own fate. However, just like motorcycling, most private pilots who fly long enough, know another pilot who died in a crash. Doing what you enjoy, despite its risks, is better than living in fear.

... Something I don't quite understand though: Why do SOME of MotoGP racers stick out their inside leg/foot (like a dirtbike rider) but ONLY during SOME turns and NOT consistently EVERY lap?:oops:
I never found this useful or did this motorbiking on dirt or on pavement. I see cyclists doing this too, on dirt. The cycling pavement version is sticking your inside knee out into the turn. On a street motorbike it makes sense since you can use your inside knee as a feeler gauge through the turn. But a bicycle can't lean enough in the turn for that. I do a lot of bicycling and I don't do it there either since all it seems to do is increase aero drag. In dirt, I speculate that this is a way to shift your weight distribution lower into the turn, without countersteering to lean further, since that can lose traction in the dirt. That said, in mountain-biking (no engines), we sometimes lean the bike more than the body in turns in order to engage the cornering tread blocks; bicycle tires made for efficiency & speed have smaller less grippy traction/tread in the center. Kind of the opposite on road bikes and street motorcycles due to limited ground clearance.

Chr1

Forum Donor
My old Triumph
View attachment 232012

My current, the KTM is a little hooligan.
Lovely Superduke there. Had one myself for a few years til some scumbag cut the steel door off my lockup and stole it. Replaced it with a Triumph Street Triple R. Similar fun power to weight ratio.
That is a nice old Triumph there too...Possibly a bit much for the rider and passenger shown in the photo tho!

Pablo27

Lovely Superduke there. Had one myself for a few years til some scumbag cut the steel door off my lockup and stole it. Replaced it with a Triumph Street Triple R. Similar fun power to weight ratio.
That is a nice old Triumph there too...Possibly a bit much for the rider and passenger shown in the photo tho!
Yeah the Duke is a real laugh, a bit snatchy! My mate just picked up a triple, it has all mod cons, even has a USB socket!

The Triumph does looks nice I'll admit, but it spent more time in bits than on the road...

Chr1

Forum Donor
Yeah the Duke is a real laugh, a bit snatchy! My mate just picked up a triple, it has all mod cons, even has a USB socket!

The Triumph does looks nice I'll admit, but it spent more time in bits than on the road...
Aye, big twins are often quite snatchy at low revs. There's a hell of a lot of torque available low down.
The way the triple develops power is kind of in between a twin and a big four. Strangely, I seem to remember the Street Triple has an identical power to weight ratio to the Superduke. Less outright power but also less weight. Both awesome imho.

Top Bottom