• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If someone else is willing to start a gory photo-shoot of their own mangled body-parts (MUST be your OWN motorcycle-related photo), I'll contribute.:eek:
But I am not certain if the Mods would (rightfully) reject the idea, even if we make the photos as "Inline Spoilers"...

In the interim...
OldLicensePlates.JPG

That last plate was on my 30MPH 'truck me(e)at' K1200S.:mad:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Gas Monkey has a presence so I guess there are hopes to export coverage to the U.S.
That Richard Rawlings dude has to be the biggest media whore I've ever seen in the auto industry..
He is business smart, I'll give that to him. I remember his first TV show when he was working out of a tiny garage with Aaron Kaufman as chief mechanic. It was all Aaron work and design that built their reputation and turned Monkey into a multimillion dollar business. Sadly in the end he screwed Aaron out of everything.
I've got no use for the Monkey.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never seen a VFR Interceptor ...
Come to think of it, I've never seen a VFR that was NOT red. Were there any other colors offered???

TimW

Major Contributor
I've been snooping around every dealership nearby looking for a decent deal on a new ride. Looking for something comfortable for longer distance highway riding while still being fun. I've been strictly a dual sport rider for the last few years and am just itching for another street bike. I've never ridden a real sport bike and I don't think I'm ready for a big sport touring or cruiser style ride.

So I've been looking at mid-size adventure bikes and have found the Triumph Tiger 800 can be found for a surprisingly low price compared to similar rides. Their resale value just isn't very high, which makes me wonder if they are reliable. All the reviews from owners online seem to point to them being perfectly reliable and relatively inexpensive to operate. I have only owned Japanese brand motorcycles so far and was expecting my next would be the same, but the low price of the Tigers has me seriously considering one. Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the Tiger 800 or similar modern Triumph motorcycles? I'm going to test ride one today.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the Tiger 800 or similar modern Triumph motorcycles? I'm going to test ride one today.
Let us know what you think of it.

No experience riding one but I think they were sort of ahead of their time a bit. They've were around, with adventure styling, a long time before it became cool. I think this may be partly why they can be found at a good price (at least here in the U.K.). Previously they weren't considered very cool; now everyone seems to want that style.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Throughout most of my riding life I kept at least 2 bikes in the garage, a nice custom H-D hot-rod cruiser, and some type of sport bike when the mood to get twisty came over me. Over the last decade the twisty moods are mostly gone and I can live with a single bike capable of keeping me happy in my retirement years.
card1.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I also have this grocery getter. LOL
IMG_2802.JPG

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Come to think of it, I've never seen a VFR that was NOT red. Were there any other colors offered???
Oh yes-yellow and a brilliant red, white and blue themed one several years ago. Silver as well I believe and possibly white.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been snooping around every dealership nearby looking for a decent deal on a new ride. Looking for something comfortable for longer distance highway riding while still being fun. I've been strictly a dual sport rider for the last few years and am just itching for another street bike. I've never ridden a real sport bike and I don't think I'm ready for a big sport touring or cruiser style ride.

So I've been looking at mid-size adventure bikes and have found the Triumph Tiger 800 can be found for a surprisingly low price compared to similar rides. Their resale value just isn't very high, which makes me wonder if they are reliable. All the reviews from owners online seem to point to them being perfectly reliable and relatively inexpensive to operate. I have only owned Japanese brand motorcycles so far and was expecting my next would be the same, but the low price of the Tigers has me seriously considering one. Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the Tiger 800 or similar modern Triumph motorcycles? I'm going to test ride one today.
I know a lot of the VFR riders back in the late 90's and early 2000's were picking between the VFR and the Tiger. Never heard anything negative about them.

steve59

Major Contributor
Stripper bars are great for meeting Hell Angels...lol. When I lived in British Columbia which has the best stripper bars I have ever been to I would frequent the bars for a nice cool beverage and sit up front and sure enough a dozen or more Hells Angels would saunter in and surround me at the front row of the stage. I was a rough and tumble construction worker at the time and looked the part so they accepted me and treated me pretty good as a young 20-21 year old. Even bought me a beer once in awhile. I doubt they ride recreationally with average civilians though. Imagine a pint of beer for an average bar price, no cover charge and excellent food with between 1 and 6 strippers going all day long at about 10 or 20 minute intervals... That's a BC stripper bar. I've never seen anything like it in Canada or the USA. BC is the de facto best stripper pub place. :D
St Pete and Clearwater were easy places to find strip clubs and in the late 70's early 80-'s Houston had some great clubs.

steve59

Major Contributor
There was a 4 day gravel road ride last weekend centered around Galena, but was all over the place and the 90/10's on my 2022 1290 sas didn't help me at all. Can uyou guys recommend a good 50/50 tire for thick gravel?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got back from riding up the California coast for the umpteenth time, and it never gets old... highway one all the way to Fort Bragg.

I am told that my carbon footprint is awful (3 motorcycles, 2 cars and a very gassy cat) but hey. Maybe I'll narrow it down some (keeping the cat :-D). My main everyday ride is a Piaggio MP3 500 - super practical.

Since we're here in an audio (mostly) and visual forum, as a motorcycle rider I find some movies with motorcycle sequences in them extremely entertaining, because they blatantly show most people don't know anything about motorcycles. I remember laughing myself hoarse in Mission Impossible 1 when Tom Cruise was on a Triumph Triple and rode it like a scared b*tch, because he could simply not get away from the Cadillac Escalade chasing him... either an idiot wrote the "stunt scene", or Tom Cruise's character was on learner's permit, damn. I annoyed people screaming at the screen "learn to ride, dude, and whack the throttle open geez".

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got back from riding up the California coast for the umpteenth time
That is about the best it gets: PCH from SanLuisObisbo... all the way up to the Pacifica.
Any slide-repair delays? Did you pay the $10 toll for the 17mile drive?
This time of year, it used to be about the worst time to drive PCH, with all the RVs and caravans but w/the current fuel prices, the traffic may not be that bad for the season.
You are soooo right. It never gets old.
Yeah, you can take the 101 and save yourself an hour or you can take I-5 for a few hours savings but you'd be bored stiff midway and try to start a fight with the tachometer.:(

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I just got back from riding up the California coast for the umpteenth time, and it never gets old... highway one all the way to Fort Bragg.

I am told that my carbon footprint is awful (3 motorcycles, 2 cars and a very gassy cat) but hey. Maybe I'll narrow it down some (keeping the cat :-D). My main everyday ride is a Piaggio MP3 500 - super practical.

Since we're here in an audio (mostly) and visual forum, as a motorcycle rider I find some movies with motorcycle sequences in them extremely entertaining, because they blatantly show most people don't know anything about motorcycles. I remember laughing myself hoarse in Mission Impossible 1 when Tom Cruise was on a Triumph Triple and rode it like a scared b*tch, because he could simply not get away from the Cadillac Escalade chasing him... either an idiot wrote the "stunt scene", or Tom Cruise's character was on learner's permit, damn. I annoyed people screaming at the screen "learn to ride, dude, and whack the throttle open geez".
I also have a maximum carbon footprint. I thank certain friends for reducing their footprint to a very low level. I let them know I appreciate it as I leave my door open with the A/C on in Florida summers, have a gas guzzling 2007 GMC Sierra truck and then to top it off I will let the tap water run for no reason. Showers are probably about 30 gallon each. I just can't thank everyone for making my life more enjoyable. I really do appreciate it.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Don't be fooled, @Sal1950 is not a rock-n-roll star!:D
I have seen the pic of Sal sitting on a Harley with a woman sitting in his lap. Now that makes him my personal hero! Dang what I wouldn't give to have a younger woman sit on my lap.....Heck, I'd pay good money for that! :)

Top Bottom