• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I come from a 34,000 mile mountain enduro/dirt biking origin and hit the streets trying to do 3 point flat tracking slides on my first street bike till I figured out that keeping one's feet on the pegs is faster. So... I would be dead without a helmet.

And you claim not to ride like a maniac? You absolutely need a bucket. LOL

The only time I've spent dirt riding was totally by accident, strictly street here.
And some track time at places like Road America and Blackhawk Farms.
During which I always wear a bucket of course.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've been riding for close to 20 years. I'm a zero-drink rule and ATGATT sorta guy, but I could basically care less what other people do on motorcycles, so have fun and be stupid with no helmet or gear if that's your thing. I get it, it's fun. My only rule is I just refuse to ride with anybody that has any drinks at all. I don't care if they like to drink and ride, I just don't ride with them when they do that.

I've had several types of bikes, but since 2015 I've settled into adventure riding (multi-day trips, minimal pavement, camping each night) because it manages to combine all sorts of things I love, even if it means both me and my bike take a beating, falling in the dirt/mud/sand/rocks a few times each trip. Right now I'm using a 2022 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro that I got last fall. My last trip was into the Black Hills in South Dakota. I don't have any sweet off road pics because when that happens I'm geared up and riding and not taking pictures, but below are a few to give the general idea of how I enjoy 2 wheels. The crash bars aren't for looks... the bike took 3 naps this trip.

IMG_8678.jpg

IMG_8657.jpg

IMG_8725.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And you claim not to ride like a maniac? You absolutely need a bucket. LOL

The only time I've spent dirt riding was totally by accident, strictly street here.
And some track time at places like Road America and Blackhawk Farms.
During which I always wear a bucket of course.
I took one street bike with Perelli street tires gravel road dirt biking @~120kmh(75mph) one afternoon descending from a mountain pass when the cherries where illuminated behind me and managed to keep the sunny side up for a mile or so till I found some trees and grass to camp out in for 4 hours....lol. Smoked ~a pack of ciggies and twitched at every little sound...lol. It was a close one....gg* :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been riding for close to 20 years. I'm a zero-drink rule and ATGATT sorta guy, but I could basically care less what other people do on motorcycles, so have fun and be stupid with no helmet or gear if that's your thing. I get it, it's fun. My only rule is I just refuse to ride with anybody that has any drinks at all. I don't care if they like to drink and ride, I just don't ride with them when they do that.

I've had several types of bikes, but since 2015 I've settled into adventure riding (multi-day trips, minimal pavement, camping each night) because it manages to combine all sorts of things I love, even if it means both me and my bike take a beating, falling in the dirt/mud/sand/rocks a few times each trip. Right now I'm using a 2022 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro that I got last fall. My last trip was into the Black Hills in South Dakota. I don't have any sweet off road pics because when that happens I'm geared up and riding and not taking pictures, but below are a few to give the general idea of how I enjoy 2 wheels. The crash bars aren't for looks... the bike took 3 naps this trip.

View attachment 211344

View attachment 211343

View attachment 211345
Very nice aggressive superdigger on the rear rim there. I concur on the drinking and riding stuff. I don't ride motorcycles or snowmobiles if I've been drinking. I'll smoke a reef but no booze. Bad news for sure...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
??? Man is everyone talking in code here tonight. LOL
I thought that - like your avatar - you were a permanent guitar slinger... and you know, all that weight on your shoulder... you know, spinal compression... you know, free money... pulling ear!

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very nice aggressive superdigger on the rear rim there. I concur on the drinking and riding stuff. I don't ride motorcycles or snowmobiles if I've been drinking. I'll smoke a reef but no booze. Bad news for sure...
Those tires are just about the most aggressive DOT approved knobby you can get (rated as 90% dirt). They are ridiculously good/fun off pavement, but also equally ridiculously bad on pavement. They ride exactly how they look! I pulled them this spring after only 3k miles... I just couldn't take it anymore. They were perfect for that trip tho.

I save the reef for camp (1. it's the perfect campfire companion, 2. the type of riding I do requires a LOT of concentration) but if you REQUIRED me to either get drunk or roll up some lovely herb and then go for a ride, I'd take my chances with the herb every single time. It has far less of an impact on motor skills, and it doesn't give you false courage. They call it "whiskey throttle" for a reason.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those tires are just about the most aggressive DOT approved knobby you can get (rated as 90% dirt). They are ridiculously good/fun off pavement, but also equally ridiculously bad on pavement. They ride exactly how they look! I pulled them this spring after only 3k miles... I just couldn't take it anymore. They were perfect for that trip tho.

I save the reef for camp (1. it's the perfect campfire companion, 2. the type of riding I do requires a LOT of concentration) but if you REQUIRED me to either get drunk or roll up some lovely herb and then go for a ride, I'd take my chances with the herb every single time. It has far less of an impact on motor skills, and it doesn't give you false courage. They call it "whiskey throttle" for a reason.
I find booze weakens my stamina, muscular response and response time. A bad thing for motorcycling. The bravadO and weakened musculature is a very bad combO. That's a very serious looking 2022 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro ride you have there. The biggest dirt ride I have had was a PE400. Climbed like a angry bear and had lotsa torque for the weight. Otherwise I have never had a ON/OFF ride like yours.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I thought that - like your avatar - you were a permanent guitar slinger... and you know, all that weight on your shoulder... you know, spinal compression... you know, free money... pulling ear!
Ah, no.
Sadly I never took the time to learn any instrument when I was younger.
Been playing with a Roland keyboard for the last 18 months but finding the learning curve a very daunting task at 72.

The back injuries, etc; are mostly about getting drunk/high and falling off motorcycles, plus bar fights and other crazy stunts over all those decades. I've backed off a lot, I sure don't bounce as well as I used too. LOL

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All The Gear All The Time, although I never wore anything more than t shirts, jeans and tennis shoes until 8 or 10 yrs ago then decided I might want to protect most of my skin.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All The Gear All The Time
A doctor once told me that 'they can mend a bone but not much they can do for the road-rash infections'. << I never experienced either but if it was not for kevlar (Draggin'Joe) jeans, I would have probably bled out in my 30MPH 'truck meet'! Kevlar had a 2inch slash just like my upper knee.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
View attachment 211381To assume... makes... an *ss... out of... you me and me!:mad:
That's David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. LOL

I never wore anything more than t shirts, jeans and tennis shoes
Same here except for the footwear, most always was steeltoed engineer boots or surplus Army boots.
But that was more the biker fashion of the time than anything else.
Now days you'll likely see me in my skechers
Weather permitting I wore my leather jackets but that's not too often now that I reside in FL.
Man I love it here, Screw cold Chicago. LOL

A doctor once told me that 'they can mend a bone but not much they can do for the road-rash infections'
I've had a few broken bones and plenty of rash but never any infections, just kept it clean.
But rash is so similar to burns and takes a long time to heal. I've found keeping it greased with a good antibiotic ointment beneficial to the healing process.
I earned my first Broken Bone patch from my club back in 1972. Man it's hard to believe this ole club cut is 50 years old now!
IMG_3154.JPG

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never seen a VFR Interceptor that was not in great condition. A exemplary model and I think the riders know that.
Thanks. It's now 24 years old (25 actually as it was built in 1997) and it is beginning to show its age. The red paint on the plastic bodywork is fading badly where the sun has done its thing. A fellow suggested instead of having the bodywork painted I should consider having a vinyl wrap applied. Has anyone had any experience with vinyl wraps? I've seen some on the net but not IRL. They look incredible but can't imagine getting vinyl to curve around all those sharp corners.

Top Bottom