• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is an interesting bike.
I actually saw one of these back in 1983 - Schmidt Cycles in Orlando sold it to a Navy recruit as his first motorcycle. Sadly, he crashed it within 6 weeks - fatally. The bikes back then did not have linear power curves and I can only imagine how abrupt the power delivery was when the turbo spun up.
I was looking at one back in the day, but thinking the requirement (?) for aviation fuel turned me off to it

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
E4DBDAEC-35B8-4467-8139-53249086D5F2.jpeg
Not riding as much any more, as the speed limits everywhere and the steeper and steeper fine are spoiling the fun, but still putting on miles every year weather permitting.

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
An adventure bike on gravel is a blast and there's no cops.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What’s best bike for this?
Depends on what your goals are.

Super fast riding but not long trips, some more dirt bike-oriented duo sports. Enough that you don't need to trailer it, but you won't want to spend the day just on roads with this.

Fast riding, but longer trips, one of the 700cc/800cc options are great since they are a little lighter and still semi dirt bike ish. Ktm 790/890, BMW 800gsa, Yamaha tenere 700, etc.

Longer trips but a little slower riding (heavier and harder to take to some places), a bigger 1200/1300cc bikes are great (I ride a KTM 1290 SAS). Ktm 1290 sas/sar, BMW 1250gsa, yamaha super ten, etc.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on what your goals are.

Super fast riding but not long trips, some more dirt bike-oriented duo sports. Enough that you don't need to trailer it, but you won't want to spend the day just on roads with this.

Fast riding, but longer trips, one of the 700cc/800cc options are great since they are a little lighter and still semi dirt bike ish. Ktm 790/890, BMW 800gsa, Yamaha tenere 700, etc.

Longer trips but a little slower riding (heavier and harder to take to some places), a bigger 1200/1300cc bikes are great (I ride a KTM 1290 SAS). Ktm 1290 sas/sar, BMW 1250gsa, yamaha super ten, etc.
That's a list of wheelie bikes from what I can tell. 1200cc 2 cylinder bikes must have some rowdy torque. Lotsa fun! :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think we (N America) should have more stringent tests for operating motor vehicles.
Things are much tougher now than in days past.
When I took my motorcycle license test back in 1971 at an inner city Chicago MV center, the tester told me to ride about 4 blocks west, then go south about 4, back east 4, then back to the MV. When I pulled back up to him still in one piece he said "you passed". That's a true story I swear. LOL
I think it would be a good idea to at least require passing some type of training course before getting a license. I worked with our Harley dealer training program and put many new riders on the road with some degree of confidence they would do OK..

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it would be a good idea to at least require passing some type of training course before getting a license.
From what I've been told in Germany a new driver must take instruction about motor vehicles, how they operate as well as the driving component. I've been advised that Germany has some of the best drivers so they must be onto something.

I worked with our Harley dealer training program and put many new riders on the road with some degree of confidence they would do OK..
It's like a bird leaving the nest...lol. After spending time with these trainees a person gets attached to them. It's only normal. I would be nervous sending newbies out on the road with a new license if I where the instructor.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Where I live at the time you could get a motorcycle license added when you got the drivers license. Just by request no actual motorcycle test involved. Obviously not very good policy for safe riders.

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I took a training class (Texas) with my kids (son and daughter) when my son went to college and joined his sister.
We all have are licenses although none of us own one anymore.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's only normal. I would be nervous sending newbies out on the road with a new license if I where the instructor.
Specially when you know some were natural riders and others just barely passed the course.
As far as I know none ended badly thank God.

Grumpish

Humm,
No title, no serial numbers on engine, just a bit wonky I think. LOL
H2's were scary fast for the day, unfortunately also scary handling with a spaghetti like frame..
You are right, the handling felt like the frames were made out of rubber - huge fun in a straight line though. My favourite bikes were the Triumph triples though, the Tiger was great for eating the miles, and the Speed Triple was a great hooligan tool (even though one did give me permanent limp after an idiot London cabbie did a U-turn in front oi me).

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we (N America) should have more stringent tests for operating motor vehicles. In her case she had a Honda 650 ~25 years ago and never rode since except her Vespa. So she has a motorcycle license. Something happened and I guessed she was confused by the clutch and braking being different than the Vespa or maybe just the weight. Don't know but at least she's in one piece and it was a walking speed crash.
Indeed - my *mother* (80!) still has a valid motorcycle license in Spain. Indeed it is because if when she got her original license, and I think the additional question was to guess how many wheels a motorcycle had at the time. My dad did ride a motorcycle when he returned to Germany after being a German WW2 POW in Canada and England. It was for economic reasons of course, and he never bought a motorcycle again - but he looked at mine yearningly at times and I have fond memories of sharing tea or a beer while he sat and watched me do some (minor) work on my motorcycles. And he once took a short ride on my Laverda Montjuic (a beautiful bike but its electronics could predict the weather and would fail ahead of rain).

My mom sat on the back of my bike often when she was younger and loved it - she was a great horse rider so a natural on the back of a bike. My younger sister is a motorcycle rider - she got the bug because I rode her to pre-school very often on my motorcycle. I do visit Spain for 2 months every year do own a big scooter there, which she rides every day and maintains.

I always rode my motorcycles with earplugs to protect my hearing, too :)

Attached the current stable but misses the KTM addition.

Attachments

• mp3 and r1100s.jpg
    mp3 and r1100s.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed - my *mother* (80!) still has a valid motorcycle license in Spain. Indeed it is because if when she got her original license, and I think the additional question was to guess how many wheels a motorcycle had at the time. My dad did ride a motorcycle when he returned to Germany after being a German WW2 POW in Canada and England. It was for economic reasons of course, and he never bought a motorcycle again - but he looked at mine yearningly at times and I have fond memories of sharing tea or a beer while he sat and watched me do some (minor) work on my motorcycles. And he once took a short ride on my Laverda Montjuic (a beautiful bike but its electronics could predict the weather and would fail ahead of rain).

My mom sat on the back of my bike often when she was younger and loved it - she was a great horse rider so a natural on the back of a bike. My younger sister is a motorcycle rider - she git the bug because I rode her to pre-school very often on my motorcycle. I do visit Spain for 2 months every year do own a big scooter there, which she rides every day and maintains.

Attached the current stable but misses the KTM addition.
The Laverda Montjuic looks hot in red.
Got a Mark 1 and a Mark 2 here... which is it?

My mom sat on the back of my bike often when she was younger and loved it - she was a great horse rider so a natural on the back of a bike.
Indeed - my *mother* (80!) still has a valid motorcycle license in Spain. Indeed it is because if when she got her original license, and I think the additional question was to guess how many wheels a motorcycle had at the time. My dad did ride a motorcycle when he returned to Germany after being a German WW2 POW in Canada and England. It was for economic reasons of course, and he never bought a motorcycle again - but he looked at mine yearningly at times and I have fond memories of sharing tea or a beer while he sat and watched me do some (minor) work on my motorcycles. And he once took a short ride on my Laverda Montjuic....
Motorcycles combined with friends and family is a great experience. It just is and it creates lifelong bonds. I learned to ride from my father and ripped the teeth out of his Honda CM90 transmission but hey... who else but family... :D

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I've been told in Germany a new driver must take instruction about motor vehicles, how they operate as well as the driving component. I've been advised that Germany has some of the best drivers so they must be onto something.

I got my car driving license in Germany. Not sure how it is now, but back then the test required very good parallel parking skills and not a single mistake driving around for 30mins and being asked to do a ton of little things. It was also expensive as heck - I saved for over a year for it.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Laverda Montjuic looks hot in red.
Got a Mark 1 and a Mark 2 here... which is it?
My beloved Laverda Montjuic was a 1982 model in orange. I have pics somewhere, will look for them. I adored it. Temperamental but worth it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I got my car driving license in Germany. Not sure how it is now, but back then the test required very good parallel parking skills and not a single mistake driving around for 30mins and being asked to do a ton of little things. It was also expensive as heck - I saved for over a year for it.
Did you study the anatomy of the vehicle to get the DL? She says she did. I have never tested her on that study...lol.
I practiced a lot... I mean 3-4 hours a day for a month for my DL. When I got there my Cortina GT2000 driver's seat belt had a slight wear area and the inspector or whatever he was called almost cancelled the DL test. So I took the test and passed even though the clutch was slipping a bit on the hill take-off test. :D Cost me very little. Was a basic admin fee.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My beloved Laverda Montjuic was a 1982 model in orange. I have pics somewhere, will look for them. I adored it. Temperamental but worth it.
That's a rad ride! Duel discs up front and the style appears to predate the 1980's café racer type rides from Japan. People today would freak on the tire size but they worked with a little effort and daring. About this time I had a Suzuki GS400E in candy Apple Red.
1-1543850936453@2x.jpg

4-1543850939700@2x.jpg

16_0312_MB_Leverda_Montijuic_026.jpg

59711-0.jpg

motorbike79051.jpg

motorbike79052.jpg

GS400E.JPG

steve59

Major Contributor
What’s best bike for this?
I struggled with that while shopping. A big heavy bike will plow but be better on the road while some guys ride 300’s they’re rapped on the highway. Somewhere I read that tires make a big difference, so deciding whats more important on road comfort and versatility or off-road agility first then picki how aggressive the tires are going to be will matter as much. I’m on a 1290 ktm adv sas with 90/10 tires and I can’t keep up with the guys on 800’s with 50/50 tires.
I really like the power of the 1290 but id be lying if I didn’t admit to wanting the 790/890 offroad

Top Bottom