• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
For example, general aviation is roughly similar risk to riding motorcycles. But in GA, you don't depend on someone else paying attention.

Flying gliders now, you depend on the tow pilot, and he depends on you, until you release and you're on your own. Takes about five minutes to get up to 3000 feet, the common release height for pleasure flights. Did 4 hours Sunday.

Then there's thermalling (tight circles) where another glider or two may see you've hit good lift and join you.

Gliders have the right of way over power planes (they scare me) but, well, you know how that goes...

1654038157619.png

My 1980 Schweizer SGS 1-35C, #97 (of 101 of the series built), at least as much fun as a fast bike (I have a 2002 Bandit 1200, not really fast, though), in a solitary sort of way. Sunday flew 4 hours and didn't see another plane anywhere near me, except the towplane. Maybe I'm blind. Old enough to be, at 69.

I'd like to run the Blue ridge Parkway / Skyline Drive again on the bike, before I get too old/blind. That's almost like flying.

As for Scheduled Western Commercial Aviation, I always say "It's the safest way to die".

My gliding thread...

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
... general aviation is roughly similar risk to riding motorcycles. But in GA, you don't depend on someone else paying attention. There are almost no situations where the "other guy" can hurt you. If something bad happens, it's virtually always your own fault or something you could have prevented. ...

Flying gliders now, you depend on the tow pilot, and he depends on you, until you release and you're on your own.
Then there's thermalling (tight circles) where another glider or two may see you've hit good lift and join you.
True, it's one of the rare exceptions that proves the general rule, which applies to "normal" pilots of "normal" small powered airplanes, like me.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a fair article on the risks of various activities. One can always quibble of course with particulars.

This is a nice chart to put it all in good perspective in my opinion. Probability of dying in the next 1000 hrs versus age and overlaid with 1000 hrs of various activities.

1654039298229.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
This is a nice chart to put it all in good perspective in my opinion.

Here's another:

Chance of death in the next year for any cause, according to your present age, in the US:

I have a 2% chance, and have currently outlived 25% of my age peers:

Age, Change of dying in the next year, how many current survivors for your age out of 100,000

69​

Interestingly, you (assuming you are still alive) don't hit a 50% chance of dying in the next year until age 108.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have owned motorcycles -in average always 2 at a time- for over 40 years. It's in my blood and I'll never give it up. There is of course a random factor to the risk, but motorcycles' addictive power response also invites spells of stupidity. I have been lucky to walk away from 2 accidents with only a broken bone or two, and to learn lessons from a few other close calls. I also scuba dive and surf and ocean swim.

Current stable is a KTM Duke 1290 and a Piaggio MP3 500 as my practical everyday vehicle. Also own 2 cars - the only one that halfway excites me is a replica Porsche 356 with fiberglass body and a Toyota engine these days.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OTOH, the friends & family I've seen seriously injured or killed on motorcycles were all the other guy's fault. Car suddenly turning left into your path, rear-ending you, or whatever.
Humm, maybe in your experience that's true but as a 60 year rider and industry insider I'm not so sure your being honest with yourself. Working at the biggest dealership in Chicago and being many insurance co's preferred repair shop I've got a bit of background.
Yes I've see a lot of turn left type stuff, mostly occurring to the less experienced riders.
OTOH, the greatest number of serious accidents I've seen most often have had some type of diminished capacity situation involved, alcohol and drugs, maybe both. LOL
It's the same for bikers and cage drivers alike, been there, done that, more than once unfortunately.
I didn't think this topic was about audio-only riding motorcycles...
It's not, the OP never mentioned audio.

Do whatever floats your boat, but for me I know my life would be a terrible bore without the excitement of motorcycling, but then I've been an adrenaline junkie all my life.
To the rest all I can say is,
If your scared, go to church instead. ;)

MRC01

Major Contributor
Humm, maybe in your experience that's true but as a 60 year rider and industry insider I'm not so sure your being honest with yourself. Working at the biggest dealership in Chicago and being many insurance co's preferred repair shop I've got a bit of background.
Yes I've see a lot of turn left type stuff, mostly occurring to the less experienced riders.
OTOH, the greatest number of serious accidents I've seen most often have had some type of diminished capacity situation involved, alcohol and drugs, maybe both. LOL
It's true that diminished capacity is involved in more than half of all traffic accidents, cars or bikes. My point is that when riding a motorbike, you're surrounded by other cars which creates situations where you depend on those other drivers. I didn't say those situations were the majority, they're not. But they exist. Anyone who rides a motorbike in denial of this is either not paying attention, or is not being honest with himself.
To restate, there are risks you can eliminate (don't ride like an idiot, don't ride impaired, etc.). There are risks you can migitate (think ahead, watch out for the other guy, don't be in the blind spot, etc.). And there are risks you cannot migitate but have to understand and accept.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I look out like a hawk for left turners... and for blind last second lane changers. Being constantly paranoid is a mandate as a motorcycle rider - you have to basically assume every car around you is out to bump into you, and have to triangulate etc to get out of exposed zones.

It's the same for bikers and cage drivers alike, been there, done that, more than once unfortunately.
Indeed. IMO another fallacy is that... the more safety gear protection people have around them, the more reckless they get as a rule. Soccer moms in vans are among the most ruthless drivers I see at times. Oh yeah safety seats and a top ranking in safety. You're still a crazy b*tch in my book "mom". Same goes to motorcycle riders that buy all the safety gear they can and then ride like suicidal maniacs on the road because they outsource survival to their Alipinestars leathers and inflatable vest and top notch Arai helmet.

Do whatever floats your boat, but for me I know my life would be a terrible bore without the excitement of motorcycling, but then I've been an adrenaline junkie all my life.
Amen indeed.

There is absolutely no limit to the many ways we could die every day. I'd rather live my life to the fullest and not obsess about it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I stopped wanting to be a motorcyclist when a gal turned left into my lane without thinking, took all I could do to avoid and she was clueless as to why I was pissed.....am a cyclist and this is largely true motor or not....and best done completely away from stupids in motor vehicles.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I stopped wanting to be a motorcyclist when a gal turned left into my lane without thinking, took all I could do to avoid and she was clueless as to why I was pissed.....am a cyclist and this is largely true motor or not....and best done completely away from stupids in motor vehicles.
You can't avoid them. And it's not like there are no fatalities in car accidents.

I am sure someone somewhere got badly hurt moving their 300lbs speakers. Doesn't mean we should all stop being audiophiles.

Can we get back to talking the *fun* of riding motorcycles?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't avoid them. And it's not like there are no fatalities in car accidents.

I am sure someone somewhere got badly hurt moving their 300lbs speakers. Doesn't mean we should all stop being audiophiles.

Can we get back to talking the *fun* of riding motorcycles?
OTOH I can avoid them by not riding motos on the street, maybe just offroad but I prefer mountain bikes for that...

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OTOH I can avoid them by not riding motos on the street, maybe just offroad but I prefer mountain bikes for that...
I applaud your personal choices.

Mountain bikes bore me to death these days, but they seemed exciting at first when I was 6 years old. I'd rather die from excitement. To each their own.

I think this topic was meant for people that actually ride motorcycles. Wouldn't it suck if every topic in ASR was hijacked by people who think audio is a waste of money or exposure to electronics might give you cancer?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Like I said,
If your scared, go to church instead.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Flying gliders now, you depend on the tow pilot, and he depends on you, until you release and you're on your own. Takes about five minutes to get up to 3000 feet, the common release height for pleasure flights. Did 4 hours Sunday.

Gliders have the right of way over power planes (they scare me) but, well, you know how that goes...

View attachment 210140

My 1980 Schweizer SGS 1-35C, #97 (of 101 of the series built), at least as much fun as a fast bike (I have a 2002 Bandit 1200, not really fast, though), in a solitary sort of way. Sunday flew 4 hours and didn't see another plane anywhere near me, except the towplane. Maybe I'm blind. Old enough to be, at 69.

I'd like to run the Blue ridge Parkway / Skyline Drive again on the bike, before I get too old/blind. That's almost like flying.

As for Scheduled Western Commercial Aviation, I always say "It's the safest way to die".

My gliding thread...
Gliders are awesome. My best friend has taken me several times. Even though heights are my declared kryptonite, for some reason gliding felt... exhilarating and I put it on the very shortlist of things I need to learn. Right now my middle age learning skills are divided between archery and piano (the latter is particularly brutal given my expectations as a classical music fan).

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It's not, the OP never mentioned audio.

I was responding to another's post: from member @adc "To bring this sort of back to on-topic: there's no such thing as hi-fi in a helmet at speed, but I do the best I can with Cardo's decent helmet speakers, and I wear earplugs nearly all the time on the bike. "

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who don't ride anymore but need the visceral thrill...check out one of my videos from my ride Saturday. There are several more if the need for speed arises.

Btw shot in 4K.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I was responding to another's post: from member @adc "To bring this sort of back to on-topic: there's no such thing as hi-fi in a helmet at speed, but I do the best I can with Cardo's decent helmet speakers, and I wear earplugs nearly all the time on the bike. "
Don't wear helmets much,but when I do I've never tried listening to music.
Mostly my pipes are too loud to make it feasible anyway.
I'll also wear earplugs on longer rides, the windnoise can get deafening after a while.

Right now my middle age learning skills are divided between archery and piano
When did you start at piano?
I started just after my 70th birthday, almost 2 years ago, and it's been a major struggle.
The learning curve was quite slow going due to memory issues and alike.
Now lately the arthritis in my hands, specially the right has been throwing a wrench into things making longer practice sessions painful,
Quite disappointed right now, I really wanted to learn some basic music.
This SUCKS

steve59

Major Contributor
My sdr has 32,000 miles on it, and it's still my favorite but I bought the 2022 1290 sas for the smokey mountain trip 650 miles each way.

Top Bottom