• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any mobile SPL warners / alternative to Apple watch?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I was in a loud environment and sadly didn't leave soon enough so now I'm having some problems. I saw that the apple watch can warn of those things:

2d976a85448229730d0b748b05e62c6a.png

But I'm not an Apple user and I don't want to start. Are there any cheaper alternatives? Maybe something you can connect to your keychain and then just pull out to measure? Like a small cheap SPL meter?

Something that you can always carry with you.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I was in a loud environment and sadly didn't leave soon enough so now I'm having some problems.
Sorry to read that... I hope it improves.
But I'm not an Apple user and I don't want to start. Are there any cheaper alternatives?
You could just use one of these apps on a phone and check when needed;

JSmith

OP
digitalfrost

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Hmm. I was able to calibrate one of these apps pretty accurately with my SPL meter, but I have a difference of 10dB (!). So I think unless the hardware and software comes from the same hand these apps can be pretty useless unless you can calibrate. Better than nothing I guess.

Still would like a dedicated device if it exists.

Top Bottom