• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any lovers of ambient?

TimF

Forum Donor
Wow. That INOYAMLAND number I started listening to it just after the 6:00 p.m. news and just realized it's 11:25 p.m. and I must have played it over and over 30 times. Hm. The neighbor yellow "Turn that thing off!" snapped me out of it. I gotta get that album.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like Hearts of Space, though the introduction talk gets a little lengthy sometimes. Good variety of ambient.

Owl

I've been listening to the program, "Hearts of space" for over 40 years now. Steven Hill puts together a great weekly program.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Cross-posting this one from Electronica thread. Certainly works as ambient.

New from Alva Noto: HYbr:ID II

https://soundcloud.com/alvanoto%2Fsets%2Fhybr-id-ii
No free list for this one, I'm afraid. But a couple of tracks from it on YT with graphical score, etc:

Electronic is the best music.

pderousse

I've been really digging into ambient for the past year. I'm not entirely sure what the reason is. Just seemed like one day I got an urge to just listen to sound instead of song. I think part of it is I just seemed to have had enough of there being a narrative bolted on top of the music - which is invariably the case when there's lyrics even if they are nonsense lyrics. Also after about 40 years of pretty intense music fandom I finally got a bit tired of the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus yadda yadda routine. I've gotten into Aphex Twin and Biosphere and Eno. Love Boards of Canada although they aren't exactly ambient I suppose.

That's not to say I don't still listen to all my favorite music from the past of course. I've just found myself quite often in an ambient mood lately. I've come to enjoy (actually, it's almost more of a "need" really) some sound on in the background especially for reading, but it can't be anything too attention-grabbing.
Me too, for about the past year, and what a great way to put it: dada poetry bolted onto a cookie cutter structure. The problem with it is the same problem I have with anything on the radio. Great songs can be found there, no doubt, but I don’t need to hear again anything by the Rolling Stones, Beatles, AC/DC or Floyd that the radio will play, unless maybe if it is a B side, which they won’t play. I’ve come to the point that I actually ration plays of special bands whose music I don’t wish to grow tired of; however, there’s something more weary-proof about ambient I can’t put my finger on.

pderousse

JaccoW

New Blue Sun by André 3000, from Outkast fame. A hip-hop band. His first solo album in 17 years. People were waiting for a hip-hop album.

Instead we got experimental flute music. And it's awesome.

Top Bottom