• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any good affordable all-in-one streamer/amp ?

mika91

Hi,

I just think to simplify my stereo setup (TV optical / rpi volumio / rme dac / ncore amp), with a compact all-in-one solution.
No fancy stuffs, just an amplifier with optical/coax/hdmi input for the TV and streaming (upnp and spotify, playback/volume controlled with smartphone app)... and good measurements

There are some options: Naim Atom, NAD M10, Primare i15, powernode 2i... but no way to test all of them.
I just tried the naim, and the sound quality was not as good as my current setup. (and UI flaws)

Maybe an other way is to build a diy amp, with my current ncore module, a rpi/odroid and a good dac/preamp hat (with hdmi or optical input for TV)
But not find any similar project on the web, so I guess it would be to much work

Do you have any recommendations ?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Do you have any recommendations ?

Set theory tells me I'd go with two boxes.

You're looking for something in the intersection of the set of signal providing devices and amplification devices.

1598298070091.png

A. Signal - many choices
B. Amplification - many choices

Signal+Amp, have fun.

gowla

There's the Matrix Audio Element P. It has the MA remote app and supports all the network streaming you want. It' quite expensive for the ICE power amps it has but does have everything you're after in terms of inputs, app and streaming.

A value option would be the Quad Vena II play it also has an app and streaming, not sure what protocols it uses, Along with the inputs you want I think as well. They are very nicely built I have played with them instores, much nicer than cyrus audio boxes.

Tatteredmidnight

I recently picked up a Klipsch powergate as a budget solution for my dining room system (paired with JBL studio 530s and a tiny sub) based on Amir’s review. Although it has mixed reviews on Amazon, I’ve had no issues with its streaming or amplification capabilities.

If you want something that measures better, maybe check out the Yamaha WXA-50, or if you want to keep your ncore, they have the WXC-50, which appears to be just the streamer without the amplifier.

Best of luck to you.

BillG

Major Contributor
Of the two mentions above, the Yamaha is the better performer. I own a PowerGate, by the way, and have bypassed its poorly performing DAC by using its analog inputs instead with a Chromecast Audio, and an Apple dongle for usage with my PC. The Chromecast I'd already owned, and was unwilling to do without because of its ease of use.

Here's another option, with Chromecast built-in which is why I'm suggesting it, but I've not encountered a performance analysis of it:

https://nadelectronics.com/product/c-338-classic-digital-dac-amplifier/

If you really want to spend as little as possible, but still maintain acceptable performance, there's the following:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32615576353.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

It's available without the linear power supply, which is totally unnecessary, but I can't find that specific product page at the moment. I happen to own the Bluetooth version of the amp, which I'm using with a television, and am happy with it.

I've seen a performance analysis of it, and it appears to pass the lenient thresholds for CD transparency. However, I can't attest to the validatity of the results not knowing the exact analyzer used.

All the best... :)

OP
M

mika91

Thanks for the answers.
The NAD C338 and the quad not compact enough (30cm width max).
The matrix looks interresting, but the NAD N10 seems better (ncore amp) in the same price range.

The "little" yamaha seems a good candidates, but people complain about overheating

gowla

Thanks for the answers.
The NAD C338 and the quad not compact enough (30cm width max).
The matrix looks interresting, but the NAD N10 seems better (ncore amp) in the same price range.

The "little" yamaha seems a good candidates, but people complain about overheating
The vena is 30.1cm width :)

There's also the Sonos Amp, which measures not bad it's better than the vena's listed specs and can support digital inputs for your tv. Has hdmi arc or optical in with an adapter. Has been reviewed on here. But it's line inputs don't perform well and sonos like to kill or handicap old products off once they have a new one.

Another more expensive but feature rich option is the Quad Artera Solus Play. Though it's 32x32x11 so probably to big.

Did you have a budget in mind?

Last edited:

lukyjohnson

Audiolab's first standalone music streamer is the third component in the company's mid-range 6000 Series, following the 6000A integrated amplifier and the 6000CDT CD transport. And it borrows tech and features from both. With the same DAC chip from the amp and the circuit design from the transport, it presents a capable and composed sound with an inviting openness and a good honest, down-the-middle tonal balance.
The Play can access services such as Spotify Connect, Tidal, HDtracks, Deezer, Qobuz, Amazon Music, Napster, TuneIn, iHeartRadio and SiriusXM and it can stream at up to 24-bit/192kHz from networked servers. So even the most discerning listeners should find plenty to love.
The lack of a display is a bit of a bugbear, and the presets integration could do with some work. But those minor quibbles aside, this is a superb and affordable way to implement streaming into your system without compromising on sonic quality.

OP
M

mika91

There's also the Sonos Amp, which measures not bad it's better than the vena's listed specs and can support digital inputs for your tv. Has hdmi arc or optical in with an adapter. Has been reviewed on here. But it's line inputs don't perform well and sonos like to kill or handicap old products off once they have a new one.
The bluesound powernode 2i has better reviews that the sonos in the "hifi" community...
But when I read that the 2i sounds way better than the 2, and the manufacturer answers that the only hardware change is the wifi/bluetooth card, I'm
skeptical about these reviews

Another more expensive but feature rich option is the Quad Artera Solus Play. Though it's 32x32x11 so probably to big.
I'll take a look.

Did you have a budget in mind?
not defined yet, but I guess 1500€ max (open to second-hand unit)

OP
M

mika91

... this is a superb and affordable way to implement streaming into your system without compromising on sonic quality.
Thanks, but I don't need to add streaming in my system (my raspberry works great), I want to replace streamer + DAC + amp with a single box.

I know I'll probably have to make concessions on sound quality, but for now, my wife and kids listen music on their smartphones/google home when they are on the kitchen/coutch, just because it's more user-friendly to use spotify/bubblepnp app (no need to turn on the amplifier, find the harmony remote to select the right activity, ...)
I want everyone to enjoy the music, with decent quality ^^

superczar

I know I'll probably have to make concessions on sound quality, but for now, my wife and kids listen music on their smartphones/google home when they are on the kitchen/coutch, just because it's more user-friendly to use spotify/bubblepnp app (no need to turn on the amplifier, find the harmony remote to select the right activity, ...)
I want everyone to enjoy the music, with decent quality ^^

I had picked a couple of Paradigm PW Amps for this very reason when they were on sale.
You should be able to find a good price on ebay though

panther

There's the Matrix Audio Element P. It has the MA remote app and supports all the network streaming you want. It' quite expensive for the ICE power amps it has but does have everything you're after in terms of inputs, app and streaming.

A value option would be the Quad Vena II play it also has an app and streaming, not sure what protocols it uses, Along with the inputs you want I think as well. They are very nicely built I have played with them instores, much nicer than cyrus audio boxes.
I really like the quad vena play the more I look at it. Not a whole lot out there on it though, but the size looks awesome for a desk.

OP
M

mika91

Harman Kardon will release a Citation Amp
Compact, hdmi, chromecast audio... and 600€ only.
Just need to wait for measurements.. if it measures better than Sonos or PowerNode 2i, it could be under my Christmas tree

Willem

Major Contributor
Here is one to save you money. Get a Chromecast Audio and an automatic input switch like this one: https://www.tindie.com/products/Beni_Skate/automatic-spdif-opticalrca-audio-switch/ Add a master slave power strip and put the Ncore amp away out of sight, fed from the power strip. The only thing you will still need to do is turn on the RME DAC, After that, you just use the CCA for Spotify etc, and the TV for TV. The automatic input switch will do the switching for you. All this is exactly as I have configured my system, and it does not get much easier. Only an auto on/off preamp/Dac would be even easier but there are very few of those.

OP
M

mika91

Still no controll on the volume and power-on/off with the smartphones, so no advantages with your setup (it's even worst because it needs a smart Powerstrip)

Willem

Major Contributor
The master/slave power strip is automatic. For volume control and on off you would need the rme remote, but that would be all. If that is really not easy enough I would suggest the Sonos Amp. It can be put out of the way, and controlled from your phone.

OP
M

mika91

Ok, but with my harmony remote, I can power on/off the amp and preamp, select source (automatically done when pressing activity 'music' button), change volume... so no need for the Powerstrip and the auto source selector.

My main concern is for wife and kids.
It must be super easy to use, with no constraints, otherwise they'll listen music on their smartphones speakers.. just because it's more conveniant to have full control on their smartphone, and too lazy to look for the harmony remote ^^

OP
M

mika91

And with multi box setups, it's always a nightmare to debug (for non tech guys) when something goes wrong

Willem

Major Contributor
I am afraid I am not really into such stuff, but is there no app for the Harmony ecosystem?

Top Bottom