• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any DCA Stealth owners "upgrade" to something better?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At those performance levels, there's no such thing as better. Just different. You can try the Susvara for an open back sound with the same mids and treble curve similar to the Stealth, but it's not better, just different. Susvara feels more like an all-rounder to me though since I prefer the "linear curve" in the bass than Harman curve bass

1702250374075.png

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Diana MR and Empyrean 2 are TOTL headphones that have the advantage of being easy to drive.

OP
preload

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like nobody here has traded up their Stealth for something they liked better.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is really not much choices if any.
Stick with them and don't read forums and watch marketers on YouTube.

You will thank me later.

Ps. Yes I owned them and compared with many.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like nobody here has traded up their Stealth for something they liked better.

I have demoed both extensively and preferred the Susvara by a good margin. Stealth's subbass is too much for my preferences, just like the Harman Curve. Linear bass sounds better to my subjective preferences

OP
preload

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have demoed both extensively and preferred the Susvara by a good margin. Stealth's subbass is too much for my preferences, just like the Harman Curve. Linear bass sounds better to my subjective preferences
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Subbass should be pretty easy to EQ out. Wondering if you tried that and still preferred the Susvara? Was more preferred subbass the only reason you preferred the Susvara?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Subbass should be pretty easy to EQ out. Wondering if you tried that and still preferred the Susvara? Was more preferred subbass the only reason you preferred the Susvara?

I had tried EQ, but I lose dynamics with Stealth when doing so (I believe the EQ software being used affects the phase curve of the headphone leading to smeared transients and loss of fine details). Susvara without EQ sounds perfect to my ears and regardless of the system I put it in, I get its natural tuning rather being stuck with a specific source that has good EQ

Grobbelboy

I am contemplating the DCA E3. It’s FR is clearly very close to that of the Stealth, but (based purely on graphs) it seems to “fix” the two minor weak spots of the Stealth, namely the slightly boomy upper bass and the upper treble that is just a tad recessed. I first want to extensively try them to confirm this though.

Last edited:
OP
preload

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had tried EQ, but I lose dynamics with Stealth when doing so (I believe the EQ software being used affects the phase curve of the headphone leading to smeared transients and loss of fine details). Susvara without EQ sounds perfect to my ears and regardless of the system I put it in, I get its natural tuning rather being stuck with a specific source that has good EQ
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a few different Dan Clark's open and closed, but the Arya Stealth is still the best I've heard for the things I listen to and do. Lot of sidegrade options at that price point, but I'd never get the Heddphone or Audivina again. At some point it's all personal preference more than technical ability to determine "better". The HD800s and T1 are really nice, but if I had to pick just one to use for a year exclusively it would be the Arya Stealth. Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers at the same price point.

Soria Moria

Axel Grell has an upcoming headphone with a driver that is in front of your ears. While I don't expect it to have better out-of-the-box tonality than the Stealth it's still something that could potentially be worth having next to the Stealth since this actually does something special.

OP
preload

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a few different Dan Clark's open and closed, but the Arya Stealth is still the best I've heard for the things I listen to and do. Lot of sidegrade options at that price point, but I'd never get the Heddphone or Audivina again. At some point it's all personal preference more than technical ability to determine "better". The HD800s and T1 are really nice, but if I had to pick just one to use for a year exclusively it would be the Arya Stealth. Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers at the same price point.
What do you like better about the Arya Stealth compared to the DCA Stealth?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The imaging and comfort, the Stealth version fixed what was wrong with the original, forward mids that made singers like Stevie Nicks or Cindy Lauper shouty at times. I've had them for weeks or months for the business. You have to use it for a whole day and then switch to something else to appreciate them. It's then you realize how bad everything else sounds. They're tuned so I wouldn't equalize them, which I guess is the holy grail for everyone. I do gaming as well, so if you can do both great and never need to EQ them, it's a a home run.

paudio

DCA Stealth has the advantage of isolation which means you can enjoy it in louder environments/offices.

@Dunring What do you mainly listen to? Much electronica?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes closed back is needed sometimes, but I use IEM's like the 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 which amazes me they made something this good and priced it the way they did. I have FLAC versions, but keep a YouTube Playlist for convenient streaming/sharing. The sound leakage on the Arya lets you use them as mini bookshelf speakers if you set them down :)

OP
preload

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The imaging and comfort, the Stealth version fixed what was wrong with the original, forward mids that made singers like Stevie Nicks or Cindy Lauper shouty at times. I've had them for weeks or months for the business. You have to use it for a whole day and then switch to something else to appreciate them. It's then you realize how bad everything else sounds. They're tuned so I wouldn't equalize them, which I guess is the holy grail for everyone. I do gaming as well, so if you can do both great and never need to EQ them, it's a a home run.
Are you saying that you preferred the Arya Stealth to various DCA models, or that you preferred the Arya Stealth specifically to the DCA Stealth?

dzerig

I enjoy the Grado 3000x for acoustic instruments and a nice, surround sound experience. Gets overwhelmed quickly with busy music.

Focal Utopia (2019, v1.5 I think, original drivers, new packaging) sounds great and is more personable for long stretches with some music. Nearly as good, flashier and less neutral to my ears.

ZMF Atrium felt like an improved by artificial version of the Auteur original, and I traded it for the Utopia. Auteur closed in but sounds more musical than Stealth.

Sennheiser 8xx sounds clean but like it's coming down a tunnel. ZMF pads helped a bit with this.

I would suggest a new amplifier. Perhaps Mjolnir 3 or a superstar tube amp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom