• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE1000 Stealth - how to fix male vocals with EQ?

Ok here it is.

Some quick impressions. I am quite surprised by the sound, in a pleasant way. I was worried that the amount of treble and upper treble would be too much for my liking, based on existing measurements by others (especially the ones done using non-standard rigs like the miniDSP EARS etc.) The 12kHz treble dagger is something that I especially disliked about the original HE1000 V2.

But hey, this one is quite well balanced. My subjective impression basically lines up with the measurement. It's still unmistakably on the brighter side, just like other Hifiman eggshaped headphones, but the treble is unfagituing and smooth overall. As you can see the overall contour of the treble follows a downward trend from 4kHz to 14kHz. So while it's elevated over the mids and the bass, there aren't any strong resonances or peaks that cause trouble, at least not to my ears.

Of note, there's a small bump around 4-5kHz that is unseen from the previous gens of the HE1000, which is quite interesting. This feature is observed on the more recent Hifiman models such as the Arya Stealth, Arya Organic, Ananda Nano etc., which most likely suggest some revisions to the driver design. I wager it's something to do with the traces but this is my speculation. They diaphragm might've also become slightly thicker based on the changes in the amount of bass and treble.

Also something worth noting is that my unit of the HE1000 Stealth comes with black cables instead of the previous rubber shielded ones. Could this suggest another revision? I don't know.

graph (55).png

Link to graph database.

Also measured the Dekoni Hifiman Arya/HE1000 series pads and some aftermarket pad options on these (the right channel only, so you might want to select the R channel of the stock pads measurement for the most accurate comparison).

graph (56).png

It seems that aftermarket pads reduce the gap between 1000-3000Hz, did you notice any sound/vocal improvements with them? If so, which of these 4 pads sound more neutral/balanced?

It seems that aftermarket pads reduce the gap between 1000-3000Hz, did you notice any sound/vocal improvements with them? If so, which of these 4 pads sound more neutral/balanced?

My pick is the fenestrated sheepskin pads for both comfort and sound. As you said, these do improve the overall tonal balance, especially the mids being more linear. It may be a bit hot during summer though. Pad-rolling is always about both comfort and sound. That said, I found the tonal balance out of the stock pads already quite good.

Preliminary EQ for the stock pads based on my measurement and Squiglink AutoEQ:

Preamp: -6.5 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 67 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 1.000
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 270 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 3.000
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1900 Hz Gain 6.5 dB Q 1.500
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2800 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 3.000
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4900 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 3.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 7300 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 3.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 12000 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 3.000
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 30 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 0.500

Adjust Filter 7 and 8 for treble/bass preference.

Preliminary EQ for the stock pads - my prefernce (slightly less forward mids, a bit more treble clarity):

Preamp: -6.5 dB
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 270 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 3.000
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1900 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 1.500
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2800 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 3.000
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4900 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 3.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 7300 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 3.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 12000 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 3.000

I am searching the .wav (44,1 + 48) files for convolver using ROON
cannot find them at oratory1990

Please can anybody help me for finding the correct link therefore?

i can only find V2 and SE but no STEALTH

Last edited:
I am searching the .wav (44,1 + 48) files for convolver using ROON
cannot find them at oratory1990

Please can anybody help me for finding the correct link therefore?

i can only find V2 and SE but no STEALTH
If its not in the autoeq database you might either have to wait until the oratory measurements get loaded into autoeq (if they ever do) or use the peq settings on oratory1990 reddit in the Roon peq DSP

@sai Thanks for your measurements. So you like Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin the most? I only got Elite Hybrid. Are the Fenestrated more thick than Hybrid?

Have you got the HE1000v2 non Stealth btw.? I can't find any measurements for those with Dekoni pads. Anyone knows where to find some? My miniDSP Ears doesn't measure as good as a GRAS.

Last edited:
@sai Thanks for your measurements. So you like Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin the most? I only got Elite Hybrid. Are the Fenestrated more thick than Hybrid?

Have you got the HE1000v2 non Stealth btw.? I can't find any measurements for those with Dekoni pads. Anyone knows where to find some? My miniDSP Ears doesn't measure as good as a GRAS.

They are both quite good. I am pretty much indifferent between the stock pads, the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin and the Hybrid. To me it's just more about genres and mood than linearity/fidelity. But if I had to say which one comes to closest to sounding realistic, yes it would be the Fenestrated Sheepskin pads.

I did measure the non-stealth V2 before I sold them, but they're the 2.5mm version. The Dekoni pads can't fit properly due to slightly different dimensions.

The EARS was my first measurement rig. Even though they may not be as accurate, for the same headphone it's pretty ok for comparing different pads IMO. Also the differences between Hifiman stock pads and Dekoni pads should be pretty similar across different models.

These are the best headphones I had the pleasure to own. No more doubt, honeymoon phase over.
I am surprised, however, that so little consensus exists in the various postings I read.
Some describe the soundstage as wide as a Susvara (I, among those), others say is intimate.
Some say is brighter than the SE, while I did not notice that during an audition (and it wasn't a Canjam mess...).
Perhaps the only consensus is that the sub-bass (irrelevant for the music I listen to) got a boost vs all previous version.
I found them mostly smooth and almost warm with my Matrix Audio Mini i3.
Even if there was no price difference I would have taken this over the SE.

These are the best headphones I had the pleasure to own. No more doubt, honeymoon phase over.
I am surprised, however, that so little consensus exists in the various postings I read.
Some describe the soundstage as wide as a Susvara (I, among those), others say is intimate.
Some say is brighter than the SE, while I did not notice that during an audition (and it wasn't a Canjam mess...).
Perhaps the only consensus is that the sub-bass (irrelevant for the music I listen to) got a boost vs all previous version.
I found them mostly smooth and almost warm with my Matrix Audio Mini i3.
Even if there was no price difference I would have taken this over the SE.

Yeah that occured to me as well. Mine feels generally smooth and balanced compared to the HE1000V2 OG or the Arya Stealth. Def not as bright as the HE1000se last time I tried. My measurement seems to align with Oratory1990's quite well, while other measurements are all over the place. I've seen some measurements done using miniDSP EARS and knockoff GRAS rigs where there's a lot more treble.

Given Hifiman's history I won't be surprised if it's just QC or if there're already iterations of the model... who knows?

Consider the fact that narrow peaks in the 8-12kHz range are NOT measured by certain industry standard fixtures but could still be present, they just won't be shown (properly) in those plots.
Play with some filters above 8kHz (not just a shelf but a peak filter as well) and vary the frequency and shave off 7dB or so in those bands). Chances are this removes that what you want gone.

The measurements are fine between 100Hz and 6kHz and that's where you should use them for.

Consider the fact that narrow peaks in the 8-12kHz range are NOT measured by certain industry standard fixtures but could still be present, they just won't be shown (properly) in those plots.
Play with some filters above 8kHz (not just a shelf but a peak filter as well) and vary the frequency and shave off 7dB or so in those bands). Chances are this removes that what you want gone.

The measurements are fine between 100Hz and 6kHz and that's where you should use them for.

Indeed, the cancellation around 9-10kHz is a common occurrence with many headphones when measured using GRAS pinnae (10-11kHz for BK pinnae IIRC). I wouldn't say the results in this region are therefore useless though. For instance, a lack of a high-Q dip around 9kHz often suggests a peak, or a rising peak around 8kHz could indicate a peak around 9-10kHz, as seen in models like the MDR-Z1R, HE400se, and Moondrop Para. FWIW in my measurements the HE1000 Stealth has a lower 6-10kHz region than the V2.

I suppose using a flat-plate coupler could potentially offer a straightforward view of these frequencies, though this would mean stepping away from industry standards and the benefits/representativeness of using anthropometric pinnae.

Ultimately, this is why it's important to listen with our own ears. Before I measure headphones, I do a few manual sine sweeps with different positions to find where the peaks and dips are and then see if they align with the measurement results. For me it's a vital step to ensure a comprehensive understanding of a headphone's sound.

Personal sine sweeps can say something. The problem with it is that it is not easy to distinguish between headphone and ear coupling issues.

Measurements aren't useless but they are above that region when it comes to figuring out what EQ is really needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: sai
Given Hifiman's history I won't be surprised if it's just QC or if there're already iterations of the model... who knows?
I had this very same thought and in fact I have 2 units (one resulting from the Hifiman upgrade program where I traded my Arya Stealth). I cannot tell them apart, in fact I had to label one of them to avoid confusing them. Same cable and equipment, rapid switch: they sound the very same to me.
I am selling one and I have mentioned that the prospective buyer who can audition them can get the one he prefers (if any).

Here are my current EQ settings (so far the best sound, it feels like the headphone value doubled). Many thanks to Oratory for correctly identifying the treble peaks (5100 Hz and 7900 Hz).
A slight deviation (a tiny dip between 650 and 800 Hz) from the Harman target made a huge difference, the bass clarity became extraordinary on my unit.

Preamp: -3.6 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain 3.4 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 220 Hz Gain -2.15 dB Q 1.1
Filter: ON PK Fc 600 Hz Gain 0.8 dB Q 2.1
Filter: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -0.45 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 1800 Hz Gain 3.4 dB Q 2.025

The following two filters can lower treble peaks, but I think they are optional since HE1000 Stealth treble quality is so pleasant (but they are important if you feel that some vocals and instruments sound too distant, usually applying them fixes this feeling of too much distance, however sometimes happens exactly the opposite thing and some vocals and instruments can sound more distant).
Filter: ON PK Fc 5100 Hz Gain -0.95 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 7900 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 4.61

Perhaps on some music genres or records that are notoriusly treble heavy you may find usefull the following High Shelf filter as well:
Filter: ON HS Fc 10000 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 0.71

P.S. I wonder if the sensitivity of HE1000 Stealth may be a little less than the official number. I enabled High Gain on my Sabaj A20d 2023 and I think the sound became a bit more balanced now than it was on Low Gain (even though I never reached even 80% on Low Gain volume).
So feel free to experiment with High Gain.

Hi, I've tried out many EQ settings and actually I find your setting to be by far the best for super transparent and natural midrange! Strangely though I've got some clipping using "Come un sospiro" with -3.6db! I think it should be lower. In any case, I'd never arrived at these settings. May I ask if have managed to improve them further or is it still your prime EQ setting? Sublte differences provide great effect, I wonder if one can do even better but it's just hidden in the EQ :-D I've also been using "Come un sospiro" that you've uploaded.

Last edited:
Ok here it is.

Some quick impressions. I am quite surprised by the sound, in a pleasant way. I was worried that the amount of treble and upper treble would be too much for my liking, based on existing measurements by others (especially the ones done using non-standard rigs like the miniDSP EARS etc.) The 12kHz treble dagger is something that I especially disliked about the original HE1000 V2.

But hey, this one is quite well balanced. My subjective impression basically lines up with the measurement. It's still unmistakably on the brighter side, just like other Hifiman eggshaped headphones, but the treble is unfagituing and smooth overall. As you can see the overall contour of the treble follows a downward trend from 4kHz to 14kHz. So while it's elevated over the mids and the bass, there aren't any strong resonances or peaks that cause trouble, at least not to my ears.

Of note, there's a small bump around 4-5kHz that is unseen from the previous gens of the HE1000, which is quite interesting. This feature is observed on the more recent Hifiman models such as the Arya Stealth, Arya Organic, Ananda Nano etc., which most likely suggest some revisions to the driver design. I wager it's something to do with the traces but this is my speculation. They diaphragm might've also become slightly thicker based on the changes in the amount of bass and treble.

Also something worth noting is that my unit of the HE1000 Stealth comes with black cables instead of the previous rubber shielded ones. Could this suggest another revision? I don't know.

View attachment 326797

Link to graph database.

Also measured the Dekoni Hifiman Arya/HE1000 series pads and some aftermarket pad options on these (the right channel only, so you might want to select the R channel of the stock pads measurement for the most accurate comparison).

View attachment 326799
I don't understand how these measurements correlate with with the frequency graph on dekoni's website???

I mean it looks totally different :-D

Do you have a link for Aliexpress fenestrated sheepskin pads?
could not find one for HE1000

I don't understand how these measurements correlate with with the frequency graph on dekoni's website???

I mean it looks totally different :-D

Rightfully so. Different measurement system, different methodology of presesenting the data, etc.

Do you have a link for Aliexpress fenestrated sheepskin pads?
could not find one for HE1000

Simply go for the ones for the Ananda/Edition XS/Arya, they are of the same dimension/fit. AFAIK they are all made by one factory. (eg. store 1,2)

Here are my current EQ settings (so far the best sound, it feels like the headphone value doubled). Many thanks to Oratory for correctly identifying the treble peaks (5100 Hz and 7900 Hz).
A slight deviation (a tiny dip between 650 and 800 Hz) from the Harman target made a huge difference, the bass clarity became extraordinary on my unit.

Preamp: -3.6 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain 3.4 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 220 Hz Gain -2.15 dB Q 1.1
Filter: ON PK Fc 600 Hz Gain 0.8 dB Q 2.1
Filter: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -0.45 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 1800 Hz Gain 3.4 dB Q 2.025

The following two filters can lower treble peaks, but I think they are optional since HE1000 Stealth treble quality is so pleasant (but they are important if you feel that some vocals and instruments sound too distant, usually applying them fixes this feeling of too much distance, however sometimes happens exactly the opposite thing and some vocals and instruments can sound more distant).
Filter: ON PK Fc 5100 Hz Gain -0.95 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 7900 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 4.61

Perhaps on some music genres or records that are notoriusly treble heavy you may find usefull the following High Shelf filter as well:
Filter: ON HS Fc 10000 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 0.71

P.S. I wonder if the sensitivity of HE1000 Stealth may be a little less than the official number. I enabled High Gain on my Sabaj A20d 2023 and I think the sound became a bit more balanced now than it was on Low Gain (even though I never reached even 80% on Low Gain volume).
So feel free to experiment with High Gain.
These are better than Oratory's upon first listen, thank you!

As already suggested you may want to have a look into the collected measurments of AutoEq (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq / https://autoeq.app/ ) and try its suggested EQ settings. If you want you can also use my FreqRespGraph (https://github.com/rwhomeaudio/FreqRespGraph) to compare data to visualize your own PEQ results. I found 4 HIFIMAN HE1000 measurments (1* HE1000, 2* HE1000se, 1* HE1000V2) in the AutoEQ data and have attached the 2 FreqRespGraph screenshots of this data from running:

python FreqRespGraph\FreqRespGraph.py --alignmin 200 --alignmax 2000 --refcurve "AutoEq\targets\Harman over-ear 2018.csv" --title "All Hifiman 1000" --files AutoEq\measurements\*\data\over-ear\Hifiman*1000*.csv

python FreqRespGraph\FreqRespGraph.py --alignmin 200 --alignmax 2000 --refcurve "AutoEq\targets\Harman over-ear 2018.csv" --title "All Hifiman 1000" --files AutoEq\measurements\*\data\over-ear\Hifiman*1000*.csv --compensate

Personally I would just EQ what really disturbs you and keep the PEQ as simple as possible, not everything what looks bad sounds really that bad and different measurements often differ quite significantly.

Attachments

• hifiman1.JPG
    hifiman1.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Hifiman2.JPG
    Hifiman2.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom