• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem to introduce new models!

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This thread has gone painfully quiet since the ASR review.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/anthem-avm60-review-av-processor.20155/

Always smart to wait before buying. Important to assess new information prior to jumping in feet first.
For sure. As an AVM60 owner it was definitely bad news, my system now sounds awful, lol! Seriously tho I have cancelled my AVM90 preorder and I'm hoping Anthem will grow a pair and address this issue with another AVM60 for Amir to test (hoping this one was an outlyer of some kind) and also send examples of their newer units for testing.

Bobo77

Hmmmmm.....I am “up-grading” in-my-world to an Anthem MRX 540 AVR. Can anyone tell me the source of the information that the new Anthem MRX AVR’s have no analog pass-thru? I have the MRX 540 on pre-order (which is a dear sum of money to me), and currently have a Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K Blu-Ray player that I really want/need analog pass-thru, as I would like to take advantage of the auxiliary advanced DAC in the DP-UB9000 that connects thru analog-only for listening to 2.1 channel stereo with the MRX 540 AVR. I currently have a tech reaching out to Anthem directly regarding this issue/question, but have not heard back just yet. Any info or help would be welcome. I enjoy my audio/visual, but some of this tech is not my strong point, and if this AVR cannot accommodate my want with my fantastic Blu-Ray player...it would be a deal-breaker for me.
(any suggestions for a comparable 5.1 replacement would be welcome).
I am not that familiar with Anthem...but this roll-out does seem to be very unorganized and premature, at least based on my readings, here...

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So they are downgrading the dacs even though they got withering reviews on here concerning the (lack of competent) engineering when compared to dacs 1/100th of the price if their prior units?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For sure. As an AVM60 owner it was definitely bad news, my system now sounds awful, lol! Seriously tho I have cancelled my AVM90 preorder and I'm hoping Anthem will grow a pair and address this issue with another AVM60 for Amir to test (hoping this one was an outlyer of some kind) and also send examples of their newer units for testing.

That would be nice, but I don't think it's an anomaly with every single other receiver on here not getting a good review or measurements.

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
Hmmmmm.....I am “up-grading” in-my-world to an Anthem MRX 540 AVR. Can anyone tell me the source of the information that the new Anthem MRX AVR’s have no analog pass-thru? I have the MRX 540 on pre-order (which is a dear sum of money to me), and currently have a Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K Blu-Ray player that I really want/need analog pass-thru, as I would like to take advantage of the auxiliary advanced DAC in the DP-UB9000 that connects thru analog-only for listening to 2.1 channel stereo with the MRX 540 AVR. I currently have a tech reaching out to Anthem directly regarding this issue/question, but have not heard back just yet. Any info or help would be welcome. I enjoy my audio/visual, but some of this tech is not my strong point, and if this AVR cannot accommodate my want with my fantastic Blu-Ray player...it would be a deal-breaker for me.
I am not that familiar with Anthem...but this roll-out does seem to be very unorganized and premature, at least based on my readings, here...

The MRX 540/740/1140 will not do pass through. they reprocess all signals.

Bobo77

The MRX 540/740/1140 will not do pass through. they reprocess all signals.
Can you tell me where that info is documented, or what your source is? My tech and I have sourced all the published specs & data and can find no documentation on that topic, one way or the other?

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
‘If you turn on Process Analog Input, you can either use ARC to establish your Crossover processing, or you can turn ARC Off and establish it yourself, manually, in the Anthem. Either way, the Analog Input will be digitized, then processed, then converted BACK into Analog for output using the DACs in the Anthem.” —Bob Pariseau Post #6619
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/ow...1120-receivers.2094378/page-331#post-57543678

If you don’t know who Bob is, just be assured he knows way more than your Anthem tech support guy does. And while this isn’t on a thread specific to the model you’re interested, the Anthems all do it the same way.

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
Can you tell me where that info is documented, or what your source is? My tech and I have sourced all the published specs & data and can find no documentation on that topic, one way or the other?
There’s a lot of stuff out there. I had actual correspondence and documentation which I could not find just now. It may be in this thread as well- paradigm also confirmed. The AVMs will allow analog pass through. the MRXs will not. Above as posted is correct.

Bobo77

‘If you turn on Process Analog Input, you can either use ARC to establish your Crossover processing, or you can turn ARC Off and establish it yourself, manually, in the Anthem. Either way, the Analog Input will be digitized, then processed, then converted BACK into Analog for output using the DACs in the Anthem.” —Bob Pariseau Post #6619
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/ow...1120-receivers.2094378/page-331#post-57543678

If you don’t know who Bob is, just be assured he knows way more than your Anthem tech support guy does. And while this isn’t on a thread specific to the model you’re interested, the Anthems all do it the same way.

If you are responding to me, I do not have an “Anthem tech support guy"????
What's up with the codecending attitude?
Nor do I have documented data from a documented source with specs, yet.
If I get one...I will post it here to be helpful..

Last edited:

symphara

It was a misunderstanding, you mentioned a “tech” and he assumed it was an Anthem tech support guy.

I don’t think the tone was condescending at all, he was trying to be clear and helpful.

I also believe the information to be correct - as in, no analog pass-through with the MRX.

Given the rollout of the products and the myriad of issues ranging from HDMI to ARC to loud ventilation noise, I’d stay well away from them, particularly if MRX540 money is a lot of cash for you. I personally think these are shoddily built products and at the very least I’d give them a few good months to see if they can sort out the more glaring problems.

Bobo77

Thanks for you help and your opinion. There does seem to be a lot of problems with the roll out of The MRX's. I am definitely "on the fence" about the purchase, now. The specs are all there for my needs, if Anthem straightens things out. Seems so odd about "no analog pass-thru, though, right?
I may get info to back that up directly from Anthem/Paradigm. We'll see.
Regarding Simple Theater:
I quote: "If you don’t know who Bob is, just be assured he knows way more than your Anthem tech support guy does..", is an arrogant and condescending comment. He did not even take the time to read my comment correctly and comes off like an obnoxious expert.
Certainly NOT someone trying to be helpful in an adult manner.
Not the kind of input that I was looking for in a forum. I am looking for help and camaraderie about home AV and sound systems...not an argument....and certainly NOT to be talked to in that manner. I know little, but I do have some self esteem.

Last edited:

symphara

Thanks for you help and your opinion. There does seem to be a lot of problems with the roll out of The MRX's. I am definitely "on the fence" about the purchase, now. The specs are all there for my needs, if Anthem straightens things out. Seems so odd about "no analog pass-thru, though, right?
I may get info to back that up directly from Anthem/Paradigm. We'll see.
I quote: "If you don’t know who Bob is, just be assured he knows way more than your Anthem tech support guy does..", is an arrogant and condescending comment. He did not even take the time to read my comment correctly and comes off like an obnoxious expert.
Not the kind of input that I was looking for in a forum. I am looking for help and camaraderie about home AV and sound systems...not an argument....and certainly NOT to be talked to in that manner. I know little, but I do have some self esteem.
In any case, if a direct analog mode is a must-have, you should probably look elsewhere. By all means, gather all the info you can from Anthem, although I believe they might be a little swamped right now :)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Good luck to you trying to get an answer to that kind of details that they did not mention on their website as I tried that before, even a simpler question and they never answered even after telling me they would get back to me.

If "analog pass-thru" means something like D+M's analog input and direct mode that bypasses the ADC/DAC blocks, I would be surprised and disappointed if they don't provide that option, but you never know.. The relatively lack of info and seemingly unwilling to provide when requested via their support is one of the reasons I would not touch any of their products except the simple devices, namely, power amplifiers.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So they are downgrading the dacs even though they got withering reviews on here concerning the (lack of competent) engineering when compared to dacs 1/100th of the price if their prior units?

I thought the 90 uses the AK4499, that's not a downgrade is it? As far as I knew, previously none of their stuff uses the AK449X series.

Bobo77

Good luck to you trying to get an answer to that kind of details that they did not mention on their website as I tried that before, even a simpler question and they never answered even after telling me they would get back to me.

If "analog pass-thru" means something like D+M's analog input and direct mode that bypasses the ADC/DAC blocks, I would be surprised and disappointed if they don't provide that option, but you never know.. The relatively lack of info and seemingly unwilling to provide when requested via their support is one of the reasons I would not touch any of their products except the simple devices, namely, power amplifiers.

Thank you peng for the input. This is my first outing with Anthem support.... my tech offered to reach out to them, so I just said "yes". I thought it was a simple thing, but your comment is telling me that I should keep my expectation in check.

Bobo77

In any case, if a direct analog mode is a must-have, you should probably look elsewhere. By all means, gather all the info you can from Anthem, although I believe they might be a little swamped right now :)

Yes...I thought of that, as well...Anthem may just be overwhelmed right now on all sides...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you peng for the input. This is my first outing with Anthem support.... my tech offered to reach out to them, so I just said "yes". I thought it was a simple thing, but your comment is telling me that I should keep my expectation in check.

That's exactly my point, to lower your expectation but I do hope they would give you a straight answer to a simple question. To be fair, I actually asked them more than one question at the time, but after two email follow up, their supervisor promised to call me, but never did so I gave up.

I didn't delete email of this sort and I found it. The questions I asked were the following:

I bought one from XXXXXXXXX today and I have the following questions:
1. They told me they were authorized Anthem dealer and I believed them because they have tons of them in their store. I tried talking to your technical support before I bought it but I could not get ahold of anyone on the phone. Please confirm they are in fact authorized dealer. I found no warranty card in the box and the box'serial number does not match that on the amp. They gave me a silver instead of black so I am bringing in back tomorrow for an exchange. They said not to worry about the serial number on the box not matching, is that true?
2. I noticed there is only one toroidal transformer in the MCA20, can you tell me what size (kVA) it is?
3. The specs says channel separation is 65 dB, that seems very low, is it because it covers a wider frequency range, what would it be at say 1 kHz.
4. What is the damping factor at the lower frequencies, say at <80 Hz? Basically I would like to know the minimum damping factor, at any frequency.
5. What is the total capacity in this amp, would it be 16,400X2=32,800 uF, that's only half of what there is in the Adcom GFA-555 that this amp is replacing. If so, would I be expecting lesser dynamic with this amp due to the lower capacitance?
Thanks,

I am sure none of them should be "trade secrets" that they can't share, yet that seemed to be the case.

Again, I hope you have better luck, and if so please share the info, thank you.

By the way, Denon/Marantz always responded to my questions, including a similar questions about the transformer size for my MM8003, never failed so far.

I questioned them about the transformer VA rating because they always claimed something like:

"MCA amplifiers deliver incredible dynamics thanks to massive “audiophile approved” conservatively rated power supplies designed with high rail voltages." I have 3 other two channel power amp at the time two of them have transformers that are visibly much larger, the 3rd, the Adcom's looked about the same size as the MCA's and they were about 600 VA rated total, so I thought Anthem claim of "massive" was exaggerated, especially when the capacitance was about half that of the Adcom's.

Regardless, I do like their amps, just won't touch their AVRs/AVPs. Perhaps their support has improved since, and I look forward to hearing back from you if and when you do get a response.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
It was a misunderstanding, you mentioned a “tech” and he assumed it was an Anthem tech support guy.

I don’t think the tone was condescending at all, he was trying to be clear and helpful.
What symphara said. Just trying to be helpful.

With only a couple of posts to your name I wasn't sure if you knew who Bob Pariseau is and his expertise. Believe me, as someone who has dealt with Anthem tech support many times, I was just trying to explain that your Anthem tech guy (who I now know you don't have an Anthem tech guy, but I thought you did when I wrote this) wouldn't know as much as Bob. A lot of newbie's believe the official company line, so I didn't want you falling for a false line from Anthem support that the analog wasn't digitized.

Hopefully this clarifies my response.

Last edited:

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
Bobo77 said:

hi bobo77
As noted I had confirmed in several places - I lost money canceling my prepaid order on an 1140 as well.

as far as sources - I had a document (I could not find) that lined up the various functions of the MXRs and AVMs and this was shown - this doc i could not find on the anthem AVM site when I looked today.

additionally confirmed by Zoltan Balla a Paradigm source of info who at least engaged and with whom I interfaced. Zoltan is working on stuff related to the new AVMs release and testing and the poor avm 60 review here.....

‘here’s another exchange with Anthem:

On Feb 14, 2021, at 7:12 AM, Anthem <[email protected]> wrote:​
Hello Duraace9sp,​
Analog Direct is not available on the MRX series, so it always be processed by the internal DAC. There is no workaround for this as this is the intended use.​
Chris | Technical Advisor | Paradigm/Anthem Support Team
sorry you don’t like the message - neither did I.....​

Last edited:

Bobo77

That's exactly my point, to lower your expectation but I do hope they would give you a straight answer to a simple question. To be fair, I actually asked them more than one question at the time, but after two email follow up, their supervisor promised to call me, but never did so I gave up.

I didn't delete email of this sort and I found it. The questions I asked were the following:

I am sure none of them should be "trade secrets" that they can't share, yet that seemed to be the case.

Again, I hope you have better luck, and if so please share the info, thank you.

By the way, Denon/Marantz always responded to my questions, including a similar questions about the transformer size for my MM8003, never failed so far.

I questioned them about the transformer VA rating because they always claimed something like:

"MCA amplifiers deliver incredible dynamics thanks to massive “audiophile approved” conservatively rated power supplies designed with high rail voltages." I have 3 other two channel power amp at the time two of them have transformers that are visibly much larger, the 3rd, the Adcom's looked about the same size as the MCA's and they were about 600 VA rated total, so I thought Anthem claim of "massive" was exaggerated, especially when the capacitance was about half that of the Adcom's.

Regardless, I do like their amps, just won't touch their AVRs/AVPs. Perhaps their support has improved since, and I look forward to hearing back from you if and when you do get a response.

Hi Peng...
Thanks for your detailed response! I must admit the questions in your email sent to Anthem Support are above my pay grade ...but it seems that support should have responded to you with an answer or tell you that they cannot answer. You are a customer of an expensive component. Hope that you straightened things out with the dealer...It sounded more like incompetence than dishonesty.
I don't know if you have followed this thread enough to see the simple info I am seeking about the MRX 540...but I currently own a lowly, little 4K Yamaha RX-V385 ($279 :) ). It has VERY FEW inputs, but I studied the user manual this morning and discovered that I can plug in the analog cables from the special music DAC on my Panasonic DP-9000 4K Blu-Ray Disc player (more than 3x the cost of the Yamaha AVR :eek:), source that connection in the Yamaha menu and set those analog feeds to "Direct" and get unprocessed stereo music playback utilizing the auxiliary music DAC in the Blu-Ray player for processing! :cool: (At least that is how it appears from my reading). Something that, according to this forum page I will not be able to do on the $1600 Anthem MRX 540. That is a little mind-blowing o_O and hard to believe. LOL! I plan to try making the connections on my existing system this weekend and do some testing.
Thanks again for your personable, helpful input!

Last edited:
Top Bottom