• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another Edifier MR4 Review - Scientific Audiophile

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Unlike ASR reviews, which seem to roll out every day, I know reviewing speakers takes a lot of time, so I take my time listening to every speaker in great detail. This isn't a knock on ASR reviews or the people who like them, we understand not everyone has the audiophile qualities required to understand the nuances in music and therefore do the quick and easy, rather than the hard and in-depth reviews. This is what it means to be a Scientific Audiophile.

Please note, the Scientific Audiophile motto is the same as all audiophile mottos, "Yes, anyone CAN listen to music, but only people with money should." , but after receiving hundreds of requests to review these super budget speakers, we relented, and the review has just been completed. Is this the first budget speaker to get our recommendation?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unlike ASR reviews, which seem to roll out every day, I know reviewing speakers takes a lot of time, so I take my time listening to every speaker in great detail. This isn't a knock on ASR reviews or the people who like them, we understand not everyone has the audiophile qualities required to understand the nuances in music and therefore do the quick and easy, rather than the hard and in-depth reviews. This is what it means to be a Scientific Audiophile.

Please note, the Scientific Audiophile motto is the same as all audiophile mottos, "Yes, anyone CAN listen to music, but only people with money should." , but after receiving hundreds of requests to review these super budget speakers, we relented, and the review has just been completed. Is this the first budget speaker to get our recommendation?

I’ll state the obvious: this guy is a shill for First Run Copper! But, the other question I have, wouldn’t an FRC power cable be better when you use FRC speaker cable? I’d assume so. Otherwise you may have a conflict between differently constructed cables interfering with each other, canceling the benefits.

If I may suggest a modification for the active speaker, rewiring it internally with FRC should yield an even greater sonic improvement, and a greater sense of ‘being there’.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I’ll state the obvious: this guy is a shill for First Run Copper! But, the other question I have, wouldn’t an FRC power cable be better when you use FRC speaker cable? I’d assume so. Otherwise you may have a conflict between differently constructed cables interfering with each other, canceling the benefits.

If I may suggest a modification for the active speaker, rewiring it internally with FRC should yield an even greater sonic improvement, and a greater sense of ‘being there’.

Mhh? But opening the primary speaker and rewire would be DIY.
And DIY is for poor people. So i think there is NO way to bring this speakers to Audiophile level.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mhh? But opening the primary speaker and rewire would be DIY.
And DIY is for poor people. So i think there is NO way to bring this speakers to Audiophile level.
Nonono! That’s not what I’m suggesting at all. I’m suggesting that the manufacturer should use FRC wiring exclusively inside the active speaker. In fact, I’d assume the PCB traces should also be made out of FRC, to achieve better micro dynamics and to improve overall slam.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Nonono! That’s not what I’m suggesting at all. I’m suggesting that the manufacturer should use FRC wiring exclusively inside the active speaker. In fact, I’d assume the PCB traces should also be made out of FRC, to achieve better micro dynamics and to improve overall slam.

Oh, sry i see. Think this is a real wise idear.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I had just a great idear. Did someone ever tried to improve the sound of the waveguide with leaf gold? Sure that would improve the highs.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This has been studied in Virginia.
I see. While I’ve already placed an order for 10 gallons of liquid nitrogen, I’d like Dr. Connor Tist to share his opinion on this before I possibly mess up First Run Copper cable state of pure virginity. It’s not that I don’t trust Virginians, but Dr. Tist is the ultimate authority on this subject.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not buy two sets, and just use the non-powered ones? Connect them both with First Run Copper to your favorite $85k/each monoblocks, and the speakers will no longer be hamstrung.
That’s ingenious! I was worried about the unbalanced nature of hooking up just one speaker with FRC. This solves the problem completely and may only double the cost (if you have to buy two sets of speakers and just throw out the active one from each set).

Hugo9000

That’s ingenious! I was worried about the unbalanced nature of hooking up just one speaker with FRC. This solves the problem completely and may only double the cost (if you have to buy two sets of speakers and just throw out the active one from each set).
I'd suggest donating the powered singles to two friends who don't care enough about music to bother with vital details like First Run Copper and system synergy. If they care that little, they may just as well listen in mono, so you get one set that you can optimize for yourself, and two gifts for others. I'd say it's quite a bargain, you end up turning two sets into three systems! If you're feeling especially generous, you can throw in a Crosley record player that they can connect to their mono Edifier.

deprogrammed

And DIY is for poor people.
Jesus Christ this is the dumbest thing I have read today. And I was on Reddit earlier.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I had always suspected that even 10k cables can not make a class d, DSP speaker sound audiophile. No way. Maybe we should try 50k cables? If this still not works, its clear that this way class d,DSP is not the way to go.
And all my respect to the scientific audiophile that he stand this torture so brave.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
btw, Edifier makes a point [in marketing material for some models] of their using Transparent Cables wire. (I didn't know it was a brand name until I saw that.)

Prana Ferox

You can't redo the inside of the speakers with First Run Copper, that'd be a second run.

Lord knows what iron rubbish the voice coils are made out of.

Top Bottom