• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analysis Paralysis, home office upgrade.

Kewtz

I appreciate the experience and expertise on a topic that is a pleasant blend of subjective and objective.

1. I have an 8x10 home office, with Klipsch 2.1 multimedia speakers going through a basic (GoXLR mini) to my PC via USB. I’m looking to upgrade to either powered or passive speakers - however if passive, space is at a premium, so small footprints of electronics are preferred. I’d likely be ok with a $1200 budget, but could stretch it.
Like many, my music preferences are all over, but I do listen to a fair bit of jam bands with and without vocals, R&B / Soul, fusion jazz and acoustics. Vocal clarity is also nice because of conference calls. I like hearing what the artist intended versus an editorial from the speaker. Low volume listening is important, but the ability to “crank it” is a nice bonus.

2. Legitimate audio reviewers on YT, who do you suggest?

3. Finally, how do you make decisions on speakers when you don’t have the luxury of knowing what they sound like, and descriptors may vary? The word “airy” can have a range, something being “punchy” isn’t a normalized measure. Said more plainly, how do you overcome analysis paralysis?

Thanks.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have a wide variety of choices within your constraints. Pick something and start. I'd probably stick to active speakers myself, maybe a JBL 306/308 with their 310S sub? Legitimate audio reviewers on youtube? Not many, Amir's series is good, I like Erin's Audio Corner and some of Audioholics' efforts personally and not a lot else. Terms like airy or punchy don't help me a lot, find that they vary a lot with who using the term....

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1. Maybe a pair of 8030c if you can stretch the budget. JBL 308p or Kali IN-5 if budget is tighter or you want more bass. Philharmonic Ceramic Mini (in blue finish)
with a Fosi V3 amp if you want good looking speakers.

2. Erin’s Audio Corner, our host Amir, Audioholics - nobody else measures.

3. That is the point of the spin graphs. Yes, it takes a bit to learn to read them, but on axis frequency response, early reflection directivity index and predicted in room response say much more about a speakers sound than flowery prose.

Top Bottom