• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

analog filters vs software filter/editing

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How would a plotter ever be more accurate than a 20+-bit ADC? There is no way to have a million steps on a few cm of paper, never mind that you would be able to actually see them with your eyes. Never mind the time resolution of something like that..
I think our collective legs are being pulled.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That technology is almost older than me. Almost.
8-qM113IAp3A2tet1.png

OP
E

Eujene

Remember audio amplifiers and loudspeakers have been with us for over 100 years. ADC was just recent phenomenon that wasn't there even in the 1970s. So there must be plenty of analog narrow single frequency filters in museum? Which audio museum has that?

So the official word to use is "analog narrow single frequency filters" or analog notch filters? But the latter term would be confusing as this would mix it up with the notch filters. What exact words do you suggest?

We have a renaissance now of vinyl, and many people still own vacuum tubes amplifiers as they sound better. So I want to get hold of this analogy filter technology. How to find it at ebay? I use spectrum analyzers for vocal analysis of singers and music. And I just want to try pure analog frequency analyzers just to see if I can hear better just like in vacuum tubes where music is said to be richer.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember audio amplifiers and loudspeakers have been with us for over 100 years. ADC was just recent phenomenon that wasn't there even in the 1970s. So there must be plenty of analog narrow single frequency filters in museum? Which audio museum has that?

So the official word to use is "analog narrow single frequency filters" or analog notch filters? But the latter term would be confusing as this would mix it up with the notch filters. What exact words do you suggest?

We have a renaissance now of vinyl, and many people still own vacuum tubes amplifiers as they sound better. So I want to get hold of this analogy filter technology. How to find it at ebay? I use spectrum analyzers for vocal analysis of singers and music. And I just want to try pure analog frequency analyzers just to see if I can hear better just like in vacuum tubes where music is said to be richer.
Uh huh

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Again remember people still use vacuum tubes of the 1950s in audio because it can capture certain aspectof sounds not possible in present op amps.

I'm not sure I remember that...

We have a renaissance now of vinyl, and many people still own vacuum tubes amplifiers as they sound better.

Or they believe they do, or they just like tube gear and the associated glow and fiddling around, or whatever other reasons there may be. They are almost universally more noisy with higher distortion than good SS gear.

It sounds like you may have bought into a lot of audio mythology.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would those types of filters be so relevant for audio?
Humbug?
So I want to get hold of this analogy filter technology. How to find it at ebay?
Obviously, you won't find any of that analog stuff on a digital medium like eBay :facepalm:. You'll need to go out to a fleamarket, the old-fashioned analog way. Otherwise, it would be like cheating.
I use spectrum analyzers for vocal analysis of singers and music. And I just want to try pure analog frequency analyzers just to see if I can hear better just like in vacuum tubes where music is said to be richer.
Do you use a spectrum analyzer to hear?

OP
E

Eujene

If you connect spectrum analyzers to loudspeakers. You can hear the tones. I heard great singers have specific frequencies so you can hear the "do re me" like music in the frequency spectrums tones.

Anyway you may have a point digital and ADC can exceed analog. It's just that analog is analog, it has almost infinite sampling and noisefree than when you quantize them in the ADC. So analog in a sense is still better because it simply has more sampling.

If in the future someone reads or note an instance analog can be more sensitive than digital in detecting some sound or signal. Then just give us updates in thread. Thanks for all the input and tips.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I feel like I'm being shaken about in a parallel universe whenever I enter an @Eujene thread.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure I heard a mic drop at the end of his last post.
But microphones from 1953 worked so much better than the new FET models.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So analog in a sense is still better because it simply has more sampling.

How well do you understand sampling theory?

Haven't seen Monty posted in a while.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
.. granted though, you'll always need an analog filter at some point to filter out anything beyond the high sample rates bandwidth, but the complexity is vastly lower (probably a first-order filter is fine, and you want that anyway for other reasons).
I think you've just acknowledged that my example is correct. Whatever your actual sample rate is, you need an analogue filter to prevent frequencies greater than half that on the input to the ADC. This is your antialiasing filter.

Sure - if you then digitally downsample the oversampled signal, you can do the anti aliasing for that digitally - but then there is no ADC involved.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Again remember people still use vacuum tubes of the 1950s in audio because it can capture certain aspectof sounds not possible in present op amps. Likewise the above questions.
Say what now??

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Seriously, you need to stop making shit up.

ADC's were first used in the 20's and 30's.

People use tube amplifiers - not because they objectively sound better but because they think they sound better. IE it is a subjective, not an objective decision. If they can actually detect a real difference in sound it will be because of an increase in distortion and/or noise (lower fidelity) compared with solid state, not because of better "purity" or whatever audiophile nonsense description you want to put on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom