• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifiers, streamers and confusion. What to buy for 1000€?

Alb_listens

Hello everyone,
I am building my first hifi and, reading through various topics, I found several suggestions and considerations about streamers and amps.

What I’ve seen is that, given a “small” budget, it could be wise to get a separated streamer and amp to maximize the investment.

Now, I think I will get a pair of Sonus Faber Lumina II, they seems to be a nice fit for my listening needs (mostly lowish volume in a small room, like 20m^2 at the most). But what to pair them with?

I was thinking about a NAD D 3045 and a streamer, but which one? I read about the Wiim Pro Plus. I will listen mainly from Qobuz, but I’ll connect my turntable too.

Or maybe could be better an all-in-one? What kind of considerations should I do, given the fact that I have a limited amount of gear I could possibly audition?

Thank you and excuse me for the long and confused topic!

staticV3

Master Contributor
How about the upcoming WiiM Amp?

You can stream to it, plug it into your TV, or hook up your turntable, and you can use the built-in PEQ to apply some basic room correction or equal loudness compensation for quiet nighttime listening.

staticV3

Master Contributor
BTW, I would rethink the choice of bookshelf speakers. What little measurements we have of the Lumina II, does not paint a pretty picture:

OP
Alb_listens

Alb_listens

Thanks for the replies!
How about the upcoming WiiM Amp?

You can stream to it, plug it into your TV, or hook up your turntable, and you can use the built-in PEQ to apply some basic room correction or equal loudness compensation for quiet nighttime listening.
This looks interesting! I could solve the problem and save quite some money. I can spend a little more if the quality gain is noticeable!

BTW, I would rethink the choice of bookshelf speakers. What little measurements we have of the Lumina II, does not paint a pretty picture:
I saw the post, to be fair it is one of the few speakers I’ve heard and didn’t feel bad at all. What would you suggest in that price range?

MAB

Major Contributor
I use a Wiim to convert a vintage integrated amplifier to streaming. It works great. You can get an external DAC if you want that last iota of raw performance.

OP
Alb_listens

Alb_listens

What country are you in? And are you looking for bookshelf speakers only, or are floorstanders ok as well? Does the size of the bookshelf speakers matter much?
Italy!
Yes, I prefer bookshelf, because I do not have the space to accommodate floorstanders :(
The size is not so important, but maybe not a gigantic pair :D

staticV3

Master Contributor
Italy!
Yes, I prefer bookshelf, because I do not have the space to accommodate floorstanders :(
The size is not so important, but maybe not a gigantic pair :D
For around the same price, you can get the KEF R3 (the original, not the Meta), or the Wharfedale Linton.
Those are the bookshelf speakers that I would look into.

OP
Alb_listens

Alb_listens

Not the best place to set up the speakers. :facepalm:
I know, but that is the only place I can put them atm. I can move them while I listen to them with more attention, but then I need to get them of the way.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know, but that is the only place I can put them atm. I can move them while I listen to them with more attention, but then I need to get them of the way.
Any current speakers in this room?

Liya

I would get Wiim Pro Plus and any Genelec or Neumann monitors you can afford.

Reactions: MCH

Galliardist

Major Contributor
To be honest, the Lumina may not be such a bad choice in the proposed setup, if the bookshelf concerned is up against a hard wall. It could be designed for that purpose despite the glossy ad pictures showing it in the room. Bass reinforcement would cover that resonance to some extent and it's front ported. While it wouldn't be a normal thing for me to be positive about, in this situation it will improve on a lot of front ported alternatives that are even brighter sounding and awful to look at with a big hole in the front.

I note all those subjective reviews had it in free space, and reported it as bass light, yet they still gave it high marks. Says more about them than the speaker, as always.

The speaker is nominally four ohms and 86dB quoted sensitivity, so it would need a fairly beefy amplifier and decent EQ given that wall reinforcement in small rooms is hit and miss, and to control the treble.

Active monitors from the usual suspects should be even better, but are often designed for wall mounting in space. which leads to the other point to make: putting such speakers on bookshelves such that they are surrounded by books on both sides and with another shelf above, all bets may be off. There were speakers designed for that purpose as well, if you can still find such things, but I can't remember the specifics or brands concerned.

If the bookshelves are the type made out of multiple cubes, and you can't put them on top with some kind of isolation, forget it.

OP
Alb_listens

Alb_listens

Hi, and thank you for the response!
Yeah, the bookshelf is exactly the cube one BUT I will indeed place the speakers on top.

My only fear with KEF R3 (apart from the 600 euro jump in budget, they sells for 1600 euro) is the fact that I cannot try them. I've heard the Q350 and I wasn't very thrilled about them. Of course I am aware those are different speakers from another league..

Any current speakers in this room?
A JBL Flip 5 :D

staticV3

Master Contributor
Another option with the same price and size as the Lumina would be the Genelec 8030C (Review). Available in white and silver, it may not look too bad in a home environment.

And being active, you could save some money since you do not need an external Amp. You could do WiiM Pro (Plus) with this cable, or WiiM Pro with an SMSL M300 SE for native XLR out.

Top Bottom