• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplification and The HE6se v2

AryaStealth

I see, then it must be high unit to unit variation with he6se v2, since I don't feel its bass slam as powerfull as it is described by many users, I'm using the latest Oratory's settings with -5.6db preamp (I would described the bass as average/acceptable, I also tried decreasing the low shelf from 5.5db to 3.0db by 0.1db on Fiio K7, it didn't help) and what's more the sibilance is very high with EQ. I hope the replacement unit will be without an audible channel imbalance and will have less deviation from the Oratory's measurments.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I see, then it must be high unit to unit variation with he6se v2, since I don't feel its bass slam as powerfull as it is described by many users, I'm using the latest Oratory's settings with -5.6db preamp (I would described the bass as average/acceptable, I also tried decreasing the low shelf from 5.5db to 3.0db by 0.1db on Fiio K7, it didn't help) and what's more the sibilance is very high with EQ. I hope the replacement unit will be without an audible channel imbalance and will have less deviation from the Oratory's measurments.
You forget the most important thing.
By far the greatest differences can be found from person to person. Be it highs, mids or bass, what one person finds too much is not enough for another.
The same applies to volume.
Our ears are also very individual, and the measuring heads with ears are just average. With in-ear microphones it has been found that it has a big impact on frequency response and volume.
Conclusion: every person hears things differently and feels things differently.

btw, Hifiman is currently selling a lot of open box and refushed HE6se v2 very cheaply. These are usually fully tested by Hifiman. That's why sometimes I even trust refushed products more than new ones (original packaging).

Blorg

@AryaStealth it may depend what your calibration is, at the end of the day it's an open back planar so not sure what your expectations for bass slam are. I'd say it is good bass impact- for an open back planar. But all planars to an extent have that very good sub-bass extension but somewhat lacking in physicality and punch.

I find Oratory's EQ for this to be much too much in the upper mids. I pulled it back a bit. You can't always just take the measurements/EQ and bang them in, sometimes it needs a bit of adjustment.
Preamp: -5.5 dB
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 960 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 2.5
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1900 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 1.4
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 1.4
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3750 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 6
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 9500 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 1.3
One other thing, this headphone sounds a lot better if you take the grill off. Sounds much more spacious. This does change the FR a bit as well though.

1713357989077.png

Top Bottom