• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplification and The HE6se v2

Carlo2AC

I would love some help in clearing the waters here friends,

I have a quite lovely JDS Atom which i purchased a couple years ago on a review from here, and it has been a wonderful little thing.. i've driven the HD660s, HD800 , Sundara and they all sounded wonderful!

Now i am on hunt for an upgrade for the Sundara and the HE6se v2 from Adorama has been recommended to me , i can get one open box locally for 500 U$ and i really wanted some thoughts about what i keep reading

Everywhere i see there are discerning opinions about this;
* That you need a really powerful amp for the HE6 and variants (SE and SE v2) to show their potential, that it even affects the punch and slam on them

* On the other side there are people who say that as long as you have enough power for your listening level you are fine, that the effect a more powerful amp has on HE6 is bullshit

But everywhere i look i see no data, no testing or measurements comparing frequency response on different amps,

like i saw on other headphones, that it did affected some dynamic drivers, that with a stronger amp the bass portion of headphone X (forgive me if i can't remember the headphone, saw this on a post @solderdude made) was stronger

So would i need a new amp? anyone got a HE6se in hands on this forum that has done some testing on this? any other thoughts?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If you want to play quite loud and EQ the bass up then HE6SE can be a bit limited.
For normal everyday listening the Atom is fine.
You may need to use it in high gain more often.
It's not a frequency response thingy, nor output resistance.
The only thing is the Susvara, HE6 and Stealth require a higher output voltage than most other (even high impedance) headphones.

The you need a power amp is only true when you want to play impressive ly loud with deep elevated bass.
Some folks claim the sound quality improves but this is 100% placebo, they just don't want to know it.

In normal listening cicumstances one just uses several mW. Only when playing VERY loud you enter the several Watts.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Here's Amir's detailed review.

For a quick answer to your question yes a significantly more powerful amp will benifit these headphones especially if you use eq.

OP
C

Carlo2AC

If you want to play quite loud and EQ the bass up then HE6SE can be a bit limited.
For normal everyday listening the Atom is fine.
You may need to use it in high gain more often.
It's not a frequency response thingy, nor output resistance.
The only thing is the Susvara, HE6 and Stealth require a higher output voltage than most other (even high impedance) headphones.

The you need a power amp is only true when you want to play impressive ly loud with deep elevated bass.
Some folks claim the sound quality improves but this is 100% placebo, they just don't want to know it.

In normal listening cicumstances one just uses several mW. Only when playing VERY loud you enter the several Watts.

So as long as i am comfortable with the volume on my Atom i won't be losing any "macrodynamics" or anything of the like by not going to a more powerful amp?

What good powerful amps would you recommend that have a great price nowadays?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll plug my V2 into my atom and see . I tend to use around 5dB of gain in the low end so I will see how loud the Atom gets with that. I normally use my THX789 balanced and medium gain is enough for me. I cant tell you how loud I listen but I'm sure others go louder than me.

OP
C

Carlo2AC

Here's Amir's detailed review.

For a quick answer to your question yes a significantly more powerful amp will benifit these headphones especially if you use eq.

yes, the intent is to use EQ, at least to fix that dip and add a little more bass

OP
C

Carlo2AC

I'll plug my V2 into my atom and see . I tend to use around 5dB of gain in the low end so I will see how loud the Atom gets with that. I normally use my THX789 balanced and medium gain is enough for me. I cant tell you how loud I listen but I'm sure others go louder than me.

Amazing friend! i would love if you could do some testing, especially if you could try to volume match, that there isn't anything "lost" on the headphones on a cheaper amp.

sushi2020

@crinacle has uploaded his measurement of HE6se V2.
According to the graph, the adorama model may have a problem with channel matching.
HE6se-V2-S1.jpg

BTW, the measurement of V1 is below.
HE6se.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazing friend! i would love if you could do some testing, especially if you could try to volume match, that there isn't anything "lost" on the headphones on a cheaper amp.
I cant do volume match testing- separate rooms. All I can tell you is if the Atom drives to levels I would be happy with.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For a layman how bad is that? by channel matching you mean difference in sounds between the left and right ear?
yes.
The 3dB measured by crinacle is very audible.
It's odd... most hifiman I measured have excellent channel matching

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For a layman how bad is that? by channel matching you mean difference in sounds between the left and right ear?
Thats bad. in some areas by 5dB or more. You ideally want them to be the same line red and blue- a deviation of that much across that much of the spectrum is definitely audible.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

OK- tested with the Atom. High gain. With a 2dB reduction to allow for EQ it got comfortably loud , with 4dB reduction I was wanting a bit more. I dont think the Atom would cut it for those that like it loud and use decent EQ adjustments. On the THX 789 balanced I have a whole gain setting I dont use but that is fed from an RME ADI 2 DAC which can output 7v over xlr

OP
C

Carlo2AC

yes.
The 3dB measured by crinacle is very audible.
It's odd... most hifiman I measured have excellent channel matching

That is scary! if i import one i won't really have a way to send it back if i get one with such difference

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When it is broken like that and you have warranty you can send it back.
You'll clearly hear it if it is that broken. IME hifiman usually has excellent channel matching.
Just make sure you buy one that has a return option.

OP
C

Carlo2AC

When it is broken like that and you have warranty you can send it back.
You'll clearly hear it if it is that broken. IME hifiman usually has excellent channel matching.
Just make sure you buy one that has a return option.
Have you ever gotten your hands on the HE6se friend? what are your thoughts on it?

with @Jimbob54 response above about not enough power with just light EQ i am scared on how the Atom would handle a -7.4 db preamp since i will probably EQ to Harman, as my Sundara's really come alive with the changes to 2.2k and the shelf at 100

So would a D30 Pro be enough for it? or is there something with a better bang for buck?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Have you ever gotten your hands on the HE6se friend? what are your thoughts on it?
Only the original 4 screw HE6.

It was one of the very few headphones that is usable without any EQ.
It was darn heavy in weight.
Found it an impressive headphone but did not have the 'separation' of my HD800

platimn

FWIW I have the Adorama HE6SE v2 and the Atom+ now. Full volume at max gain is still not loud enough without any EQ whatsoever. According to the Headphonesty power calculator with the worst case scenario numbers of appx. 79.5 db/mW sensitivity (converted) measured by Amir and 64 ohm impedance the headphone should be peaking at 106.5 db SPL at about 5.7 V and 500 mW from the Atom but I'm not hearing it. So the sensitivity may be even lower.

Edit: I meant 106.5 dB, not 116.5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom