• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp recommendations (Passive ceiling speaker) recommendation?

sep

UPDATE: So we're thinking of using the Bose FS2P, which is 16 watt. So I'd want a 6channel amp with not much more than 16x6=96 watt. Any recommendations?

Hello, I'm working on a project where we'll have 6 speakers suspended above a bar countertop. We're planning to have 6-channel spatialized audio.

1660020984237.png

For this purpose, it seems omni-directional speakers would be best. I've seen a huge post on this forum debating the merits of omni-directional speakers for playing back traditional recordings, but for original, spatially-conceived sound design, it does seem like they would be the best way to simulate natural sound sources. Furthermore, the audience will be seated at the bar, so everyone should be able to hear as much coming from the left and right as possible

One of my teammates said they were happy with the sound quality of the Bose Soundlink Resolve II when they used it for a previous project. However, we'll be installing it at a restaurant and want it be as easy-to-use as possible for the restaurant staff. Due to the Bluetooth, battery and other functions, the Soundlink Resolve can be cumbersome since, in case of power-outages or other problems, each speaker has to be plugged in and turned on/off individually (and apparently the staff accidentally turned on the auto-shutdown feature on some of the speakers at the last event). We'd just be plugging each speaker into a 6+input audio interface, so we don't need bluetooth. Ideally we could have six passive omnidirectioanl speakers into an amp so that we can just turn the amp on/off when needed. Budget-wise we don't want to go much more expensive than six Soundlink Resolve IIs.

Any ideas/recommendations? If we hang the speakers from the ceiling, I wonder if these 120 degree speakers would work well...

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Recently, I visited the mall and walking around one store (Under Armour outlet), I stopped and noticed the background music. I was instantly impressed with the quality of sound. I looked up and saw the “JBL Control 60 pendant speakers”. They were positioned with an equal distance from each other. Maybe less than 10 feet apart. All lined up in perpendicular to each other. Then, I decided to test how good their directivity was, so I walked from one speaker to another. The sound didn't change much. This means their hanging positions were optimized to get the optimal directivity control.

Overall, I was really impressed with these JBL’s.

My 2 cents.

Reactions: sep
OP
S

sep

Recently, I visited the mall and walking around one store (Under Armour outlet), I stopped and noticed the background music. I was instantly impressed with the quality of sound. I looked up and saw the “JBL Control 60 pendant speakers”. They were positioned with an equal distance from each other. Maybe less than 10 feet apart. All lined up in perpendicular to each other. Then, I decided to test how good their directivity was, so I walked from one speaker to another. The sound didn't change much. This means their hanging positions were optimized to get the optimal directivity control.

Overall, I was really impressed with these JBL’s.

My 2 cents.
Oh, great! I've been actually leaning towards the JBL Control 64 P/T or 65 P/T, so if you were impressed by the 60, then those should be a good choice. Thank you! Now I just need to get the amp/interface sorted out.

Top Bottom