• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp building for simpletons

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Please, how little skill is necessary, to turn a Hypex DIY kit, for instance, into a working amplifier?

DanielT

Major Contributor

But I wouldn't do it. That because of security and electricity. I am not an EE, or electrician. If you are one of those, putting it together should be fairly simple.:)

If you buy a ready-made DIY kit and don't have the skills, ask someone knowledgeable to go through it, preferably before you buy it. So you know it's ok.:)

simbloke

Forum Donor
Personally I see kits like these as being for people who could do it all themselves but would like to save time getting all the bits together. Myself I was even more lazy and just bought something from Audiophonics.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone's interested in building a valve amplifier from scratch, the best book I've come across, is the original Mullard Circuits for Audio Amplifiers. Edition 2 was published in 1962, I think the original was 1957/8. It gives full design information, circuit diagrams and full construction details including dimensioned drawings for the chassis. It's available on-line as a PDF. The pre-amp designs are somewhat limited, but the power amp designs for the classic 5-10 and 5-20 units are superb.

Not for total beginners, but I built several 5-10s when at school, so not beyond anyone with an interest in the subject and the ability to drill some holes in sheet metal.

S.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not an EE or electrician either but I have build kits (mostly) with success. A couple of years ago I complete monoblock using ICEpower 200ASC amp modules, (with intregral power supplies), from Parts Express and cabinets from Ghentaudio: all when very smoothly.

Mind you, I was used to soldering, stripping wires, crimping, and other, minor related tasks.

The Hypex NCore400 kits look very easy to me. I see no reason to fear electrical danger provided all connections are secure. Personally I would solder the XLR connector wire before inserting the connectors.

Inside my ICEpower 200ASC amp ...
gi.mpl

Complete amps ...
gi.mpl

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
I'm not an EE or electrician either but I have build kits (mostly) with success. A couple of years ago I complete monoblock using ICEpower 200ASC amp modules, (with intregral power supplies), from Parts Express and cabinets from Ghentaudio: all when very smoothly.

Mind you, I was used to soldering, stripping wires, crimping, and other, minor related tasks.

The Hypex NCore400 kits look very easy to me. I see no reason to fear electrical danger provided all connections are secure. Personally I would solder the XLR connector wire before inserting the connectors.

gi.mpl

Complete amps ...
gi.mpl
That looks terrific! However, soldering is a word straight from Mordor, as far as my skill sets go!

DanielT

Major Contributor

gi.mpl

Complete amps ...
gi.mpl
Well, it doesn't seem to be that difficult to put together, if only a " little soldering, stripping wires, crimping, and other, minor related tasks are needed". The only thing I'm thinking about is the power supply. So it really works as it should and if not there will be short circuits, creepage currents and so on.

But then when it's done just plug in and power on? Do you not set anything? Bias? Do you check the DC offset or something else? I have no intention of building anything, but I'm just generally curious.:)

That looks terrific! However, soldering is a word straight from Mordor, as far as my skill sets go!
Buy a soldering iron, flux, and solder. Try soldering some speaker cables to banana plugs/connectors. Practice to get a feel for it all. There are lots of instructional videos on Youtube, for example.:)

Screenshot_2022-09-11_105012.jpg

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Well, it doesn't seem to be that difficult to put together, if only a " little soldering, stripping wires, crimping, and other, minor related tasks are needed". The only thing I'm thinking about is the power supply. So it really works as it should and if not there will be short circuits, creepage currents and so on.

But then when it's done just plug in and power on? Do you not set anything? Bias? Do you check the DC offset or something else? I have no intention of building anything, but I'm just generally curious.:)

Buy a soldering iron, flux, and solder. Try soldering some speaker cables to banana plugs/connectors. Practice to get a feel for it all. There are lots of instructional videos on Youtube, for example.:)

View attachment 230102
Thank you Daniel
Within the last day or so, I have narrowly failed to accidentally Gorilla glue myself to a large wooden stick!( Don't ask :rolleyes:).
Soldering hmm, no.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thank you Daniel
Within the last day or so, I have narrowly failed to accidentally Gorilla glue myself to a large wooden stick!( Don't ask :rolleyes:).
Soldering hmm, no.
He he. Okay, you don't sound very practical and that's okay, we're all different. :)
Now don't take offense but if you (almost?) manage to glue yourself to pieces of wood then maybe a amp kit assembly isn't your thing? ....Or give it a chance, by trying to solder some speaker cables to begin with. Just be careful not to burn yourself on the soldering iron.

Search on Amazon, starter kit. I had checked that it was CE marked. Otherwise they are cheap. Maybe nothing that the "professionals" use? As an amateur, I have a cheap kit and it works for me. But I actually only solder banana connectors and connectors on speaker elements.:)

Screenshot_2022-09-11_110155.jpg

Edit:
But to be honest, I've also dabbled with the most basic stuff. You just have to learn from the mistakes and move on.:)

Last edited:
OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
He he. Okay, you don't sound very practical and that's okay, we're all different. :)
Now don't take offense but if you (almost?) manage to glue yourself to pieces of wood then maybe a amp kit assembly isn't your thing? ....Or give it a chance, by trying to solder some speaker cables to begin with. Just be careful not to burn yourself on the soldering iron.

Search on Amazon, starter kit. I had checked that it was CE marked. Otherwise they are cheap. Maybe nothing that the "professionals" use? As an amateur, I have a cheap kit and it works for me. But I actually only solder banana connectors and connectors on speaker elements.:)

View attachment 230108

Edit:
But to be honest, I've also dabbled with the most basic stuff. You just have to learn from the mistakes and move on.:)
The gluing fiasco relates to a 2 metre plus length branch. Out with our six year old Granddaughter, the perfect device to whack the apples out of the tree! It broke, and Granddad committed to fixing it! Simples, right!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
The gluing fiasco relates to a 2 metre plus length branch. Out with our six year old Granddaughter, the perfect device to whack the apples out of the tree! It broke, and Granddad committed to fixing it! Simples, right!
Sorry to hear that:)

Sure no one should take up a task they don’t feel comfortable with especially one which involves high voltages.

Building or better assembling your own amp can be very satisfying. As Gorgonzola showed above, the only soldering involved are the wires to the input XLR connector, which can be managed with a bit of practice and enthusiasm;-). Rest is crimped and plugging. Sure crimping also takes a bit of practice but can be managed.

Maybe sometime ;-). Afterall there must have been some curiosity on your side to maybe try or why would have asked in the first place :). Go for it.

Edit.
For example just to get a feel for it ca 40 bucks plus parts for one channel (THDplusN ca 0.002%) - what’s to loose (sure don’t hurt yourself). Even if you need to write it off. I am sure we all spent more on dinner or so.

Last edited:
OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Yes Harmonic. I did think, a few bits. Connect together like Lego, and superb amplification for half price! :rolleyes:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Yes Harmonic. I did think, a few bits. Connect together like Lego, and superb amplification for half price! :rolleyes:
See my edit above. Maybe start small / cheap.

Personally I think, price and cost is not the main argument, because once you got everything together it can add up including the equipment. Secondly if you buy of the shelf, you get warranty and a certain resale value.
I see it more as a hobby and it is fullfilling once you succeed - priceless. :)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See my edit above. Maybe start small / cheap.

Personally I think, price and cost is not the main argument, because once you got everything together it can add up including the equipment. Secondly if you buy of the shelf, you get warranty and a certain resale value.
I see it more as a hobby and it is fullfilling once you succeed - priceless. :)
I've never seen resale value of HiFi as anything to be concerned about, given that I keep stuff until beyond economic repair, and therefore beyond any resale value.
Similarly, anything I build for myself, isn't done to save money, it's done either for the satisfaction of doing it, or because what I want isn't generally available commercially.
I've not seen the point of extended warranties, at least, not if there's a premium price to get them, given the bathtub curve. Anything that survives the first few weeks/months, and therefore covered by a normal 12/24 month warranty, is likely to survive a lot longer.

Stuff I no longer want to keep, maybe because it's just in the way, I'm more inclined to give away to friends or Freecycle just to get rid of it, as I hate selling stuff on eBay given the army of idiots that apparently inhabit that site. I'd rather just get thanks from a grateful recipient than the grief of selling on eBay.

That's why I have shelves and cupboards full of stuff I don't use... Anyone want a Boonton Radio 202H RF generator, just as one example?

S.

Top Bottom