• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Music HD, Firestick, Denon 4500 - no 24 bit input

mdominic

That means your AMHD app on your Firestick has been (automatically) updated today.

Yes. But why would the most recent version see the device capacity as 16/192 when it was 24/48? It's maddening.

Bamyasi

Yes. But why would the most recent version see the device capacity as 16/192 when it was 24/48? It's maddening.
24/48 is what standard unmodified Android OS audio stack reports to the app; in order to pass through digital audio to hardware directly at maximum resolution supported the app have to use its own version of the stack, bypassing the Android OS. That's what the app upgrade introduces. 16-bit limitation though seems an issue specific to (some) Denon AVR's, see discussion here.

redboat77

Amazon Music HD took several days to stabilize the bit depth/data rates on my system.

Initially, all the categories were left blank and it only played "standard" compressed rates. After a couple days, it started showing a device capability of 16 bit/48 kHz and shipping data at that depth/rate. Now the device capability has stabilized to 24 bit/ 192 kHz, which is correct.

Even so, it still sometimes sends lower depth/rates when I first turn it on, but usually goes up within 60 seconds to the full device (or source) capability.

Last edited:

Vovgan

Forum Donor
I've got the Firestick directly into my Denon and I've enabled 24 bit playback in Amazon Music HD on the Firestick.

I assume the way Amazon Music and the Firestick know the DAC capability is with the HDMI EDID messages. I have no idea why it takes so long to change. I've also noticed that it starts playing at Standard then switches to higher rates, but over the course of 10s of seconds, not hours. That's really weird.
Any luck with getting 24 bits into Denon? I’ve been stuck with the same issue for a year+ now. Thanks

tintguy

Any luck with getting 24 bits into Denon? I’ve been stuck with the same issue for a year+ now. Thanks
I don't know what changed but today my Firestick 4k finally recognized my Denon AVR S930H is capable of 24-bit play back

Attachments

• 20220329_181831.jpg
    20220329_181831.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 50

Vovgan

Forum Donor
I don't know what changed but today my Firestick 4k finally recognized my Denon AVR S930H is capable of 24-bit play back
Stick plugged directly into AVR, not TV?

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Yes it's connected directly to receiver. As recently as last week the app displayed device capability: 16 bit. Last night I launched Amazon music and was surprised to finally see device capability: 24 bit
Yeah, now it works for me too!! So nice! Thanks for taking time to reply to me about it!

Top Bottom